SBS Bank Hawkins

Game Day - Week 2

10 Apr 2016

Metro Logo Hawkins Logo SATURDAY APRIL 9, 2016


SCORES: New Brighton 53 Burnside 7; Lincoln University 39 Sumner 21; Christchurch 50 Belfast 12; Linwood 28 Shirley 24; Marist Albion 40 HSOB 17; Sydenham 15 University 13.



Defending champion Lincoln University, last year’s runner-up New Brighton, and Linwood have set the benchmark after the first two rounds of the metro division one competition for the Hawkins Cup.

All three teams have picked up the bonus point in both rounds to have the maximum 10 points, four clear of University and five ahead of Marist Albion and Christchurch, which both gained their first wins on Saturday.

Lincoln, title-holder for the last three years, had its work cut out against first round winner Sumner, which scored the opening try and trailed by only four points at half-time. But Lincoln produced its usual strong finish and was 18 points ahead at the finish.

New Brighton had no such worries away to Burnside. The seasiders were 15-0 ahead after 23min and three late tries in the last 7min blew the advantage to 46 points. No.8 Ron Katonivere was outstanding for Brighton, scoring three of the eight tries. Brighton has racked up 101 points in two rounds.

Linwood No.8 Tepasu Thomas broke Shirley hearts with a try well into stoppage time that gave his team a four-point win after Shirley had had led for most of the match at Rugby Park. Linwood just edged Belfast in the first round and it will find last year’s beaten Trophy finalist, Christchurch, a lot stiffer test in their Crying Towel clash at Linfield Park next Saturday.

It was not the way Shirley flanker Phil Watson, who was named Most Valuable Player, wanted his 200th senior match to finish.

Sydenham also left it to injury time before gaining its first win through a close-range penalty goal to Kieran Lindsay, while Marist Albion, which leaked 48 points against Brighton in round one, gave a polished performance to emphatically dispose of first round winners High School Old Boys.



At Burnside Park: New Brighton 53 (Ron Katonivere 3, John Vili 2, Zac Trusler 2, Henare Faithfull tries; Scott Davidson 5 conv, pen) beat Burnside 7 (Foketi Puleiku try; David Smith conv). HT:  22-7. Referee: Chelsea Gurr. 

Robust Fijian Ron Katonivere terrorised the Burnside defence while scoring three of New Brighton’s eight tries in its emphatic win.

Katonivere’s first two tries were the product of Brighton’s scrum superiority 5m out. Burnside was pushed off its own scrum feed 5m out and No.8 Katonivere gathered and ran on the angle to the line after 11min.

His second was from another 5m scrum with Brighton having the feed. He ran the openside and the defence didn’t really want to know him. But it was his third try that really set the tongues wagging. He collected the ball 25m out and like Jonah Lomu against the English at the 1996 World Cup he trampled over four defenders on the way to his hat-trick of tries.

Just as Katonivere was the dominant figure, Brighton was the dominant team throughout. The seasiders were helped by Burnside turning over a feast of ball, especially in the first 30min, and the home team’s tactical kicking will also come under scrutiny by the coaches at training this week.

The strong work of the Brighton pack was complemented by the diligent play of the backs who shirked nothing on defence and ran hard on to the ball. Young halfback Reuben Spicer played with maturity beyond his years, clearing swiftly and accurately.

He set up wing Zac Trusler’s first try after 29min by popping around a fragmented maul on half way and finding nobody at halfback for Burnside. He scurried away, found hooker Marcel Cumming-Toone in a supporting role and the hooker drew the last defender before releasing the ball to an unmarked Trusler.

Burnside was offered a glimmer of hope on the stroke of half-time. From an attacking lineout, the ball was thrown to the front and relayed straight back to hooker Foketi Puleiku, who scored in the corner. That was one plan Burnside executed to perfection.

But Katonivere’s last two tries, after 49min and 66min, killed off any Burnside comeback. Although Burnside had some good periods on attack in the last quarter, the errors again proved costly with Brighton scoring three times in the last 7min, two of them long break outs after Burnside turnovers.

It was an impressive team performance by the seasiders with Rawiri Karena propping the scrum, rangy lock Lucas Hill delivering good lineout ball, and Katonivere and Billy Harmon constantly testing and exposing the defence.

Seasoned second-five Brett Mather made two lovely midfield breaks, centre John Vili ran with his usual verve, and wing Trusler was brave in the tackle and had an eye for the line.

Burnside captain and No. 8 Ben Dixon and lock Owen Murphy gave of their best, but Crusaders flanker Peter Samu, who played in the backline in the second half, was well contained. For the Burnside backs it was all about defending than attacking.

Hawkins MVP: Ron Katonivere (New Brighton) 3, Lucas Hill (New Brighton) 2, Zac Trusler (New Brighton) 1. 

Bob Schumacher 

New Brighton made it two from two in the second division curtain-raiser with a six tries to three, 38-17, win over Burnside which is still seeking its first win. The seasiders led at half-time, 19-0.

Burnside took some time to find its feet but warmed to its task towards the end of the first half, only stout Brighton resistance on its own line denying Burnside a try in the last 5min.

Brighton had its bonus-point 11min into the second half after industrious lock Doug Stewart, who later moved to No.8, made a searching run and another kingpin, nuggety halfback Kieran Le Beau, darted across to extend the lead to 31-5 on the hour.

Burnside, which scored an early second-half try through Philip Filipo, who received a favourable bounce, finished strongly with backline general, first-five Willie Brown, clearing out after 62min then fullback Michael Jones finished off a fine counter-attack that swept 75m.

 Strong-running Brighton wing Semi Petela completed the scoring. He and fullback Ben Hanham, who made one courageous and vital tackle, had commendable games.



At Lincoln: Lincoln University 39 (Jack Stratton 2, Daniel Henderson, Josh McKay, Luke McKenna tries; Jordie Barrett 4 conv, 2 pen) beat Sumner 21 (Nikolas Cumming, Elias Caven tries; Cumming conv, 3 pen). HT: 15-11. Referee: Carl Johnson.

Lincoln University had their work cut out against a good Sumner side, pulling well clear when nuggety, speedy openside flanker Luke McKenna scored with 15min left.

Sumner scored the first try, after 16min, through useful first-five Nikolas Cumming, who ran off blindside flanker Dylan Nel to dot down by the posts.

The visitors had to wait until 15min into the second half before gaining their second try, through right wing Elias Caven. That brought them to 21-29 with plenty of fight left in them. But Lincoln weren’t about to be hustled out of a comfortable win.

The home side took 28min to score their first try, strapping halfback Jack Stratton showing a succession of forwards how to get across the line after a long close-range assault. Four minutes into the second half, the co-captain was through again after a quick tap penalty he took himself.

Stratton was a dominant figure, passing snappily, running powerfully, and kicking cleverly for three-quarters of the match.

Lincoln were without Hamish Dalzell and Mitch Dunshea through injury - the latter might be out for eight weeks with a damaged foot.

Lock Jack Powell, unavoidably delayed, arrived in time to play the second half, lending experience, if that word can be applied to a youthful Lincoln outfit.

The match marked the return to active duty after a long break for Jack Goodhue, who came on shortly after half-time. Goodhue had his moments and said afterwards that his heavily strapped right knee had come through “all right”.

First-five Josh McKay showed class 10min into the second half when he accelerated outside his marker and speared through to the posts. Jordie Barrett looked assured at second-five and kicked strongly at goal, the breeze in his face in the second half seemingly not worrying him at all.

He and Harrison Groundwater kept the dangerous Poasa Waqanibau in check, although the Sumner centre made one big break from the second-half restart.

Caleb Makene was sporadically dangerous from fullback for Lincoln, notably with a long weaving run to put Daniel Henderson across 7min from half-time.

For Sumner, Marshall Suckling looked likely to forge a potent partnership with Waqanibau early, but the threat never really developed.

Sumner’s best player was lock Lawrence Babe, who kept making sure takes in the lineouts and was athletic and intelligent around the field.

MVP: Jack Stratton (LU) 3, Josh McKay (LU) 2, Lawrence Babe (Sumner) 1. 

Jim Doyle

Props Liam Bartholomeuz and Stefan Vaiolo were the toast of Lyttelton as they both scored smashing tries from close range in the last 12min to thrust the visitors to a 22-15 win over Lincoln University in the second-division curtain-raiser.

The pair were also at the cutting edge of a Lyttelton scrum which shunted Lincoln off their own ball at crucial moments, leaving port supporters in raptures.

Lyttelton had former Sumner first-division player Ben Corston at first-five, and he scored a try, along with Nick Fisher, in the first half.

For Lincoln, prop AJ Stefano, in the first half, and lock Jack McFarlane stood out. Midfielders Jayden Calder and Will Taufua, the latter sometimes dangerous from centre, were staunch and Scott Willoughby was sound at fullback.



At Chch Park: Christchurch 50 (Kieran Coll 2, Matt Etheredge 2, Elliot Scott, Hamish Kilpatrick, Steve Alfeld, Matt Thatcher tries; Brad Ineson 2 conv, Daniel Dorgan 3 conv) beat Belfast 12 (Malcolm Kavanagh, Isei Vuluma tries;Kohei Yoshii conv). HT: 22-0. Referee: Liam Scanlon. Sinbin: Amenatave Tukana (Belfast). 

It all begins up front and the power of the Christchurch scrum provided the catalyst for an emphatic 50-12 win over Belfast. Such was their dominance the home side were always able to produce more numbers when required to the breakdown, mounting attacks or when called upon in defence.

Their grip on the game was established from the first whistle. Playing with the breeze they were able to keep the opposition not only scoreless for the first 40min but prevented them from crossing their 22m line to mount any form of attack.

To Belfast's credit they remained positive and returned in the second half to score two tries from broken play and take some solace from the game.

The power of the red-and-black scrum was evident from the start. Taking an early scrum against the feed they moved straight on to attack for No.8 Kieran Coll to cross for the first of his two touch-downs.

Another was to follow from flanker Matt Etheredge, also the scorer of a double, when Christchurch mounted an undeniable attack with a surfeit of players lining up in support of the ball-carrier.

The 10min before the break produced two tries the first to wing Elliot Scott finishing off a strong midfield break from Coll who linked with centre Daniel Koster to put Scott on his way. The other an inter-change to hooker Hamish Kilpatrick from a short lineout throw which was gratefully returned to him.

From the resumption, Belfast returned with some more vigour and scored their first try to wing Malcom Kavanagh who was on hand after a kick-and-chase had turned the opposition around.

The kick restart from Christchurch went deep and from the ensuing ruck halfback Steve Alfeld darted over to score.

With both sides making numerous replacements from the bench combinations took a little time to settle before producing a flurry of points in the final 15min.

Fullback Matt Thatcher had an easy 40m lope to score, followed by Coll with a standard off the back of a scrum from short of the line. Etheredge completed an impressive game in scoring his second popping up in the backline and bursting on to a pass for an easy run to the line.

Belfast had the last say just before time when Leon Fukofuka put centre Isei Vuluma away.

The Christchurch pack paved the way with the tight five dominating to the point of freeing up space for their loose forwards to shine where Etheredge was in fine form moving forward with his strong running, covering on defence and securing the loose ball on the ground. He received ample support in all his endeavours from Coll.

Alfeld was tidy behind a dominant scrum and Koster strong in midfield.

A difficult day for Belfast but Fukofuka was always positive and showed his skills and versatility when moving to first-five later in the game. Flanker Naibuka Tavenavo in a pack on the back foot produced his usual solid game.

Hawkins MVP: Matt Etheredge (Chch) 3, Kieran Coll (Chch) 2, Leon Fukofuka (Belfast) 1. 

Stewart Taylor 

The division two curtain-raiser resulted in an easy 41-10 victory to Christchurch over Sydenham after they had been ahead 22-10 at the break and kept the opposition scoreless in the second half.

Both packs battled hard for superiority, but it was the Christchurch backline that showed the more enterprise where wing Kimeon Reid shone with a hat-trick of tries.

Lock Henry Marchant had a sound game for Christchurch and flanker Logan Allan produced some good go forward ball. Behind the pack, diminutive halfback Shu Yasmoto cleared the ball well and displayed good options.

Sydenham's Seb Waghorn, whilst not being the most robust lock going around, was a good lineout winner and sound performer in a solid pack which also featured loose forwards Moses Feiota and Misi Lamositele. Fullback Jimmy Lim’s positional play and running when entering the backline added some thrust to his side’s attacks.



Linwood 28 (Zac Southen, Kalavini Leatigaga, Tepasu Thomas tries; penalty try; Southen conv,2 pen) beat Shirley 24 (Mavae Tomasi, Phil Watson, Vinnie Letiu, George Akerei tries; Nathan Smith 2 conv). HT: 3-12. Referee: Blair Barclay. Sin-bin: Tom Verdonk (Linwood). 

Linwood No.8 and co-captain, Tepasu Thomas, a former Sumner player, broke the hearts of the Shirley players and supporters with an 87th minute try to steal the game from a valiant Shirley, who had led for all but 12 minutes of the match.

Four tries each was a fair reflection of the game. Shirley had taken their chances in the first half and with the help of the breeze broke into Linwood territory. Fullback Liam Timoteo, in his 50th game, broke through midfield, sent a long pass to wing Nathan Culley , playing his debut game, who made ground and took the tackle, allowing halfback Mavae Tomasi to snaffle the loose ball and scuttle blindside, scoring in the tackle after 11min.

Neither side made much use of the next 25min. Good defence and strong tackling snuffed out any promising moves. Tomasi, injured in a double tackle after 20min was replaced by Oli Mills who did credit to the position for the remainder of the match.

On 34min, Shirley stole a Linwood lineout throw and spread the ball wide to right wing Brandon Fanolua, who scurried down the touch-line and was awarded the try in the corner, only to have the assistant referee put his flag up indicating a foot had grazed the touch-line so ruling out the try.

Not 2min later another Fanolua break had him clear, drawing the last defender and putting flanker Phil Watson over under the bar in his 200th match for the Blues.

Linwood responded hard for the remaining minutes of the half. It camped on Shirley’s line, but resolute defence held Linwood out to give Shirley a well-earned 12-3 half-time lead.

Linwood’s post break tactics were easy to pick – use the wind to peg Shirley back. But just 2min after the restart an errant kick went to Shirley No.8 Junior Taia who made ground, dished off to centre Vinnie Letiu, whose neat backhand flick to Fanolua enabled a breakout. He off-loaded the ball back to Letiu to run 40m unchallenged.

From the kick-off, Linwood’s tactic worked this time. After a series of drives had the ball in the hands of first-five Zac Southen on the loop, and he was awarded the try wide out, despite appeals that it was on the foot of a defender.

Linwood were using the wind well and maintained the pressure, which gave way again in the 55th min as quick ball created an overlap for replacement wing Kalavini Leatigaga to cross in the corner and reduce the deficit to four points.

On the 64th min, a determined 5m scrum shove had Shirley back-pedalling, and when it collapsed over the line the referee Blair Barclay had no choice but to award a penalty try, which gave Linwood their first lead of the match.

On 68min, Linwood flanker Tom Verdonk rightly earned the wrath of the ref for a deliberate foul as Shirley attacked hard, and was sent to the sin-bin.

The weakened scrum was easy prey to Shirley, whose own scrum had a mixed day, but were able to use the extra man advantage to good effect with replacement loosie George Akerei driving and scoring against the post in the 72nd minute to establish a four-point lead.

A Southen penalty goal on 76min reduced that to one point.

However, because there had been a number of injury breaks during the half there was an extensive stoppage time added on, which played to Linwood’s advantage.

Shirley looked like they were going to hold on, but with only seconds remaining in the 87th min Thomas was ruled to have scored after the referee consulted his assistant thus giving the game to Linwood.

For Linwood, Thomas, blindside flanker Jordan Stewart, and lock Poasu Mapu were prominent forwards, while in the backs Southen showed his experience distributing and kicking well. Left wing Sam Limu-Franklin was a danger whenever he had the ball in hand.

Shirley were well led by flanker-lock Watson, who had a superb lineout game. Lock Jud Robbins had a standout game carrying the ball up. Taia was a hardworking No. and wing Fanolua was an ever present threat as was Timoteo at fullback.

Hawkins MVP: Phil Watson (Shirley) 3, Sam Limu-Franklin (Linwood) 2, Jordan Stewart (Linwood) 1     

Donn Leckie 

No curtain-raiser was played.



At Bob Deans 1: Marist Albion 40 (Matt Morrison, Chris Crichton, Dylan Lolohea, Henry Allen, Faimalo Magele tries; Hagen Schulte 3 conv, 3 pen) beat High School Old Boys 17 (Josh Taylor, George Bridge tries; Jarred Percival 2 conv, pen). HT: 13-10. Referee: James Munro. Sin-bin: Robbie Harlow (Marist Albion), Vern Holden (HSOB). 

After leaking eight tries in round one, Marist Albion tightened up their defence whilst they also found a few avenues to the try-line in a resounding victory over High School Old Boys.

The result was a near 180-degree swing from their 31-point first round defeat at the hands of New Brighton where they were dominated, this time leading all the way in a polished performance.

It all started in the first 5min when Hagen Schulte potted a penalty goal to convert Marist Albion’s early territorial dominance into points.

Old Boys had one of their better periods of the game from the restart with wing Josh Taylor prominent with a good off-load in an interchange of passing between several of the backs which led to a penalty at the breakdown.

Jarred Percival levelled the scores from point blank range before Marist Albion quickly regained control of the contest.

From the ensuing restart, Percival’s clearing kick was charged down by hooker Matt Morrison who produced a stunning pick-up on the run with defensive pressure all around him to dive over and score the game’s first try.

Schulte added the extras before adding a penalty minutes later after a 40m bust by flanker Charlie Gamble to give Marist a 13-3 lead.

This time, however, it was Old Boys’ turn to pounce on the kick off as they regathered possession almost immediately before the ball was spread to Taylor, who stepped back off his right foot on a 30m dash to the line untouched.

With half-time approaching both sides lost players to the sin-bin after Robbie Harlow and Vern Holden were dispatched within minutes of each other for deliberate knock-downs.

Marist Albion failed to add to their tally right on half-time after Schulte missed from a handy position, but he made no mistake after the restart to extend their lead to six before Harlow was reintroduced from the sin-bin.

The halfback’s impact was immediate as he set the backline alight with a crisp pass which led to a bust from centre Des Spooner, who sent Chris Crichton on his way to the try-line.

Sniffing more points Marist Albion got on the front foot again with the forward pack maintaining their dominance up front, the ball was spread left to Dylan Lolohea, who extended their lead to 28-10.

Marist Albion’s pack was a pillar of strength throughout the contest and a rolling maul inside Old Boys’ 22m set the scene for their fourth try as replacement prop Henry Allen barged his way across with a pick and go.

With the game firmly on Marist Albion’s terms, Old Boys found their only highlight of the second half on a rare foray into Marist’s 22m and, after a couple of slick short balls close to the line, fullback George Bridge crossed before Faimalo Magele had the final say.

Marist Albion hooker Morrison was brilliant throughout the contest. He set the tone for his side with the early charge-down and try before he charged down another kick minutes later.

His pressure was relentless on HSOB’s kickers and he was also strong at the breakdown whilst providing plenty of go forward with a number of strong carries.

Magele, along with his flanker partner Gamble, had solid games. Magele scored the final try and produced some key pilfers at the breakdown, while Gamble produced a key bust midway through the first half.

Marist Albion’s front eight were impressive as a collective unit. The pick of the backs was Spooner, who had a hand in a couple of tries and he looked penetrating every time he took the ball to the line.

For Old Boys, wing Taylor had a strong game, scoring one of his side’s two tries and looking threatening whenever he laid his hands on the ball, but all in all it was a disappointing performance.

Anthony Morgan 

Hawkins MVP: Matt Morrison (Marist Albion) 3, Faimalo Magele (Marist Albion) 2, Des Spooner (Marist Albion) 1. 

It wasn’t all doom and gloom for High School Old Boys as they took out a dour try-less division two curtain-raiser over Suburbs.

After leading 6-0 at the break, Old Boys held off their opposition in the second half in a game marred by errors and breakdown turnovers by both sides.



At Sydenham Park: Sydenham 15 (Jordan Stone 2 tries; Kieran Lindsay conv, pen) beat University 13 (Sam Godwin, Conor O’Leary tries; Bradley Hemopo, pen). HT: 5-10. Referee: Gareth Reed. 

Sydenham scored a come from behind win, in official’s time, with a close-range penalty goal by Kieran Lindsay. Both teams scored two tries and the difference in the end was that the home team converted one of theirs and the visitors’ none.

Sydenham, playing into the wind, started promisingly and had points on the board after 7min following a 30m Mike Herring break, attacking scrum win and an off-load to Jordan Stone who ran wide and scooted over the line. 

This seemed to over excite Sydenham who proceeded to turn the ball over at the breakdown through lack of numbers, failure to support the ball-carrier, lateral movement and impatience as they attempted to score off everything before the foundation was laid.

University fed on this, isolating the ball-carrier, putting numbers into the contact and replying with hard, straight running at the opposition backline with second-five Isaac Leota and fullback Cam Watkins playing conspicuous roles. 

This approach coincided with the Cardinals’ midfield defence taking leave of absence and only a failure to finish the opportunities created prevented the students disappearing out of sight.  

A graphic example in the 20thmin was when a strong Sydenham attack, halted 3m out through lack of support, saw the maroons grab the loose ball and travel 80m down the left flank.  A quick recycle at the contact and switch right created a three-on-one on the right and Sam Godwin dotted down.

The second quarter was uneventful continuing the pattern of the first until the 33rd min when another Sydenham turnover created a long range counter-attacking opportunity which University exploited and Conor O’Leary was over to give the visitors a five-point half-time lead.

Sydenham regained the lead in the 52nd min after showing commitment, patience and desperation at the contact, with Kalave Auali’itia prominent, stitching together nine phases and creating the opportunity for Stone to score his second try. Lindsay converted.

University reclaimed it with a Bradley Hemopo penalty goal. The last 10min produced some of the more structured rugby of the match as University sought to close it out and a desperate, never give up, Sydenham tried to snatch it.

Four minutes from full-time Sydenham declined a kick at goal and kicked for the corner. Unfortunately for Sydenham the ball went dead in goal bringing a collective groan from local supporters.

Referee Reed became the centre of attention in the dying moments as his every twitch and glance at his watch created breath-holding moments for both sides. Then, a final Sydenham attack was halted on the University 22m with a tackle ruled to be high and Lindsay closed the game out with a calmly slotted penalty.

In a match up that was frustrating for the squandered opportunities by both sides and exciting and tense because of the closeness of the scores, Sydenham finally prevailed because it appeared more desperate in the closing moments.

Sydenham players to rate were captain Liam Smart, who worked hard in the dark places and led by example, Auali’itia and Scott Kelly who took the ball up powerfully. Halfback Stone and did lots of tidying up away from the action and replacement Ila Lamositele’s charging run late in the game was only halted 15m out by frantic defence.

For University, Leota and Watkins created defensive turmoil with their hard straight running from the back, while halfback Christie featured with quick and accurate clearances and backing up. Captain Godwin was strong at the breakdown, and Caleb Aperahama and O’Leary performed their set piece roles effectively and featured positively in the contact.

Paddy Brandon 

Hawkins MVP: Jordan Stone (Sydenham) 3, Isaac Leota (University) 2, Finlay Christie (University) 1. 

The premier colts curtain-raiser between two well-drilled teams, Sydenham and Christchurch, produced a very exciting open game played in a positive, good spirited nature. Sydenham won, 15-0, (scoring two tries) and were deserved winners. However, they were made to work hard for the bragging rights.

The first 30min were even, played mainly between the two 22m lines, as both teams probed for weakness, cancelling each other out. The points came late in the half after the home team kicked a penalty and then scored a try for an 8-0 half-time lead.

In the second half Sydenham were clearly getting on top, only lack of patience and ball retention in the buildup and contact squandering promising situations. Christchurch were relegated to a mainly defensive role in the second period, only really threatening the home team’s line once, but to their credit they restricted the Cardinals to only one converted try in the second stanza.

This game showcased young men performing with skill and enthusiasm and many of the players on display will possibly progress to higher honours.

Prominent for Sydenham were prop Martin Woodhead, who was strong at the scrum and straight and hard when taking the ball into contact, and flanker Layton Francis. No.8 Tim Makaafi covered and contested the breakdown strongly, while first-five Jack McLeod demonstrated football nous beyond his years. Centre Ray Nu’u, a former NZ Secondary Schools rep, was influential in both Sydenham’s tries with his gliding runs, pace, ability to draw and pass, and eye for the gap.

Christchurch players to note were flanker Declan McCormack, who was tireless at the breakdown and only denied a late second-half try when held up over the line, and flanker Tom Christie, who was competitive at the contact.

Halfback Sam England was a courageous tackler and coverer and Henry Bithray was a strong running fullback.

Hawkins Logo



33: Jordie Barrett (LU).
32: Nikolas Cumming (Sumner).
22: Nic Southen (Linwood)
20: Ron Katinovere (New Brighton)
18: Jarred Percival (HSOB)
17: Hagen Schulte (Marist Albion), Mark Burton (New Brighton)
4: Ron Katonivere (New Brighton).
3: Mark Burton (New Brighton).
2: Isei Vuluma (Belfast), Leon Fukofuka (Belfast), Kieran Coll (Chch), Matt Etheredge (Chch), Josh McKay (LU), Jack Stratton (LU), Daniel Fransen (Marist Albion), John Vili (New Brighton), Zac Trusler (New Brighton), Nikolas Cumming (Sumner), Jordan Stone (Sydenham), Conor O’Leary (University). 
4: Sam Limu-Franklin (Linwood).
3: Chris Gawler (LU), Billy Harmon (New Brighton), Nikolas Cumming (Sumner), Sione Vea (Belfast), Angus Cameron (HSOB), Marty Swaffield (University), Matt Etheredge (Chch), Phil Watson (Shirley), Matt Morrison (Marist Albion), Ron Katonivere (New Brighton), Jack Stratton (LU), Jordan Stone (Sydenham), Finlay Christie (University).


Team Played Wins Draws Losses Defaults Bonus For Against F/A Points
New Brighton Div 1 2 2 0 0 0 2 101 24 77 10
Lincoln University Div 1 2 2 0 0 0 2 83 31 52 10
Linwood Div 1 2 2 0 0 0 2 57 51 6 10
University Div 1 2 1 0 1 0 2 35 26 9 6
Christchurch Div 1 2 1 0 1 0 1 60 56 4 5
Marist Albion Div 1 2 1 0 1 0 1 57 65 -8 5
Sumner Div 1 2 1 0 1 0 0 47 47 0 4
HSOB Div 1 2 1 0 1 0 0 33 43 -10 4
Sydenham Div 1 2 1 0 1 0 0 18 29 -11 4
Shirley Div 1 2 0 0 2 0 2 35 50 -15 2
Belfast Div 1 2 0 0 2 0 2 39 79 -40 2
Burnside Div 1 2 0 0 2 0 0 15 79 -64 0

Other Results


Challenge Shield Match – Christchurch Win

Christchurch 41 v. Sydenham 10, HSOB 9 v. Suburbs 3, Lincoln University 15 v. Lyttelton 22, Shirley 19 v. Sumner 43, Burnside 17 v. New Brighton 38, Belfast 12 v. University 33, Marist Albion 6 v. Linwood 7;



Challenge Shield Match - Lincoln University Retain

Shirley 0 v. Lincoln University 92, Belfast 3 v. Burnside 30, Sydenham 15 v. Christchurch 0, Linwood 10 v. New Brighton 29, Marist Albion 46 v. University 5, HSOB bye;



Challenge Shield Match – Marist Albion Win

Marist Albion 14 v. Christchurch 20, Burnside 26 v. Marist Albion Beacons 27, University 22 v. Suburbs 14, HSOB 37 v. Otautahi 8;



Challenge Shield Match – Marist Albion Win

Marist Albion 15 v. HSOB 32, Glenmark/Cheviot 21 v. University 23, Merivale Papanui 50 v. Burnside 21, Ashley 38 v. Linwood 18, Sumner 5 v. Christchurch 27, New Brighton 0 v. Lincoln University 62, CBHS 2nd XV bye;



Challenge Shield Match - New Brighton Retain

New Brighton 21 v. Belfast 13, Lyttelton 15 v. Marist Albion 23, Shirley v. Shirley W, no result received, Burnside 0 v. Suburbs S 97;



Challenge Shield Match - Sydenham S Retain

Linwood B 19 v. HSOB K 24, Belfast M 31 v. Sumner S 12, Christchurch C 17 v. Sydenham S 31;



Challenge Shield Match - University Retain

Kaiapoi 0 v. University 90, Burn/Duns/Irwell 13 v. Linwood 5, Marist Albion 7 v. Lincoln 70, HSOB 69 v. Burnside 7, Christchurch 65 v. Sydenham 0, Suburbs bye;


Site by Orbital Ltd