SBS Bank Hawkins

Game Day - Week 4

24 Apr 2016

Metro Logo Hawkins Logo SATURDAY 23rd April 2016


SCORES: Belfast 26 Burnside 17; Linwood 35 Lincoln University 35; HSOB 27 New Brighton 20; Sydenham 24 Christchurch 15; Marist Albion 37 Shirley 22; University 34 Sumner 10.



Few, if any, punters would have been on the mark with their picks in round four of the Metro Division One competition for the Hawkins Cup on Saturday.

The unbeaten Lincoln University and New Brighton, both with the maximum 15 points after three rounds, stumbled against their respective rivals, Linwood and High School Old Boys, although Lincoln was able to draw and preserve its unbeaten record.

Not so for New Brighton, runner-up to Lincoln University in the Cup last year. The seasiders self-destructed against Old Boys, conceding 15 points in the last 10min to succumb by seven. The irony will not be lost on Old Boys who squandered a big lead late in the game and lost by a point to Shirley the previous week.

But the surprises did not stop there. Belfast, which had not won a Cup game since 2012, must have thought that record was about to continue when Burnside received a handy penalty in the last minute.

Burnside’s goal-kicking had been a problem all game and again the match-winning shot sailed wide. From the restart, Belfast gained possession and broke out, man of the match winner Frank Havea sprinting 30m to end Belfast’s Cup drought.

At Sydenham Park, the home team toppled fourth-placed Christchurch, last year’s beaten championship finalist. Christchurch fought back from 9-0 down to lead 15-12 with 10min to play, but a raft of Sydenham substitutes brought the desired result and a shell-shocked Christchurch conceded 12 points in the run home.

Marist Albion and University were two teams to justify their favouritism. Marist Albion scored six of the first eight tries in their match against Shirley, but Shirley kept fighting to the finish and two late tries earned them a bonus point.

University was too strong in the forwards for Sumner and scored six tries in its third win for the season, one that put them into equal second with New Brighton, two points adrift of Lincoln University. Marist Albion, Linwood and Christchurch round out the top six.

Linwood and Lincoln produced the first draw of the season. Linwood led by three at half-time and still by that margin with 5min to play having scored five tries to Lincoln’s four. But in the dying moments, Lincoln was awarded a penalty 35m out and first-five Brett Cameron was equal to the occasion, bringing his match total to 15.



At Sheldon Park: Belfast 26 (Frank Havea 2, Naibuka Tavenavo, Emosi Bure tries; Josh Morel 2 conv, Leon Fukofuka conv) beat Burnside 17 (Tafesilafai Maafi 2, Ben Dixon tries; James Logan conv). HT: 12-5. Referee: D Rumble. Sin-bin: Fili Leo’o (Belfast).

Belfast gained a deserved victory, their first of the season, over Burnside in an enthralling contest.

In a game with drama aplenty there were heroes everywhere all dressed in green and gold. The intensity lifted in the final 10min with twists and turns that would have done justice to a Hollywood script writer.

After leading 12-5 at the break, Belfast was clinging to a narrow 12-10 margin at the 70min mark, but with Burnside gaining some momentum and scoring a try - the second to wing Tafesilafai Maafi – it took a 17-12 lead for the first time in the game.

On previous occasions this would have seen the home side capitulate, but there was a steely resolve and character about this Belfast team and they immediately replied with a converted try to flanker Frank Havea to regain the lead, 19-17.

The next twist saw a penalty to Burnside that failed to find touch, but in deflecting the ball the Belfast defender sent the ball dead in goal and Burnside received a fortuitous 5m scrum. A resulting penalty from the scrum gave Burnside the opportunity to again take the lead.

Their kicking for goal had not been a strength and from a handy position they had the mortification of seeing the ball drift wide.

The final turn from the restart saw a valiant run from a heavily strapped replacement halfback John O'Neill on for playmaker Leon Fukofuka who had left the field in the first half with a hamstring injury.

O'Neill carried the ball into Burnside territory and from the break down the ball was moved to flanker Havea who triumphantly ran 30m to put the icing on the cake for the loyal band of home supporters.

The home side had made an excellent start to the game, scoring after 2min with a drive to the line by No.8 Naibuka Tavenavo and again 5min later when Fukofuka set up wing Emosi Bure.

Burnside finally got on the scoreboard on the stroke of half-time after second-five Luke Reihana was lowered short from a strong angled run and flanker Ben Dixon was on hand to dot down. Lifting their game, they closed the score-line with Maafi's first try after 55min with good continuity and quick draw and pass before the helter skelter of the final 10min unfolded.

Belfast were all grit and determination and at the top of the list were loose forwards Tavenavo and Havea with good support from Amenatave Tukana. Up front, prop and co-captain Phillip Peters had a strong game and no better present for his 50th game.

Burnside were only a shadow of the side that had pressed Lincoln University in their previous game and, while they created opportunities, they failed to capitalise on them. A concerning stat would have been three different goal-kickers landing one from five attempts.

Flanker Dixon had a strong game and Maafi proved an excellent finisher with his two tries. The second came when he received the ball in his own half, made a strong touch-line run, and put in a clever kick which he chased and gathered to touch down.

Hawkins MVP: Frank Havea (Belfast) 3, Naibuka Tavenavo (Belfast) 2, Tafesilafai Maafi (Burnside) 1.

Stewart Taylor

After an even first half in the division two curtain-raiser, visitors Suburbs built on 8-5 half-time lead to beat Belfast, 20-12.

Turning with a narrow lead, Suburbs started the second half with plenty of vim and vigour, but it took until the 60min mark for them to add to their score when fullback Jason Chee fielded a wayward clearing and embarked on a 40m solo run to the line.

They were in again 5min later before Belfast scored a consolation try 5min from time when fullback Chris Foster entered the line with a strong run.

Suburbs were the more cohesive side with lock Ken Pelenato toiling well in the tight and No.8 Tony Arona strong off the back of the scrum. Both wing Chris Leautula and Chee were excellent finishers with Chee in particular strong on running the ball back.

Belfast were called on to make many tackles in defence and at the top of the list were flankers Jonty Connor and Tewhanau Berryman. While not enjoying the same amount of possession as their opposites Foster added thrust on attack and was a sound last line of defence.



At Linfield Park:  Linwood 35 (Kalavini Leatigaga 2, Paul Garner, Alex Hodgman, Tyler Hansen Kini tries; Zac Southen 2 conv, 2 pen) drew with Lincoln University 35 (Ben Morris 2, Josh Ma’u, Nick Werahiko tries; Brett Cameron 3 conv, 3 pen). HT: 18-15 (Linwood).  Referee: Karl Hancox (North Canterbury).

After 80min of absorbing thrust and counter-thrust rugby, two very well drilled and committed teams, Linwood and Lincoln University, played themselves to a 35-all impasse.

In the process the lead changed three times and was locked up twice. Nine tries were scored, five to Linwood and four to Lincoln University, earning both a bonus point.

The draw enabled the students to retain the DCL Shield after an excellent game that unveiled an abundance of character and never give in attitude by both sides.

Kicking off with the northwest wind behind them, Linwood were quickly attacking deep in the visitor’s territory resulting in a try to Paul Garner 3min in converted by Zac Southen. Then Southern kicked a penalty which was replied to from the restart by Lincoln’s Brett Cameron.

Lincoln University, who were having difficulty getting their hands on the ball and out of their own half, did so after 14min. Swarming into Linwood’s 22m they got continuity and go forward resulting in a try, following a well-sold dummy, to Ben Morris.

From that point, until 38min in, Linwood put University firmly in a position and possession vice.  Aided by clever kicking and use of the wind by Southen, Linwood attacked Lincoln University all along the line for 16min.

Only resolute defence by the student tyros restricted the green-and-blacks to eight points, a try to Alex Hodgman in the 28thmin and a Southern penalty in the 36th.

From the restart, Lincoln University regained and retained the ball. Getting deep into the Linwood 22m they attacked left and right before Josh Ma’u got the space to score, on the stroke of half-time. Cameron converted and the players went to the half-time `pep talk’ at 18-15.

On resumption, the students levelled to 18-18 with a Cameron penalty following a tackle ruled dubious. Enjoying a 15min purple patch, the Students put Linwood’s line firmly in its sights. First came, possibly the try of the match, with quick hands and sharp passing, with Josh McKay featuring three times, resulting in a try to Nick Werahiko converted by Cameron.

Three minutes later Lincoln were in again when Morris crossed for his second converted by Cameron. The visitors were ahead by 14 and developing a full head of steam.

Linwood v Linc UniThen Linwood showed its depth of character and resolutely pulled itself back into the game. Setting up a series of forward drives and one offs in the shadow of the Lincoln posts, Tyler Hansen Kini burrowed over for Southen to convert.

Starting to express themselves and getting go forward Linwood moved the ball wide. With centre Louis Devery running hard at, and breaking the line, they put replacement left wing Kalavini Leatigaga over in the corner for two tries in the space of 3min.

From wide-out both Southen’s conversion attempts shaved the outside of the uprights. However, the home team were ahead by three with 5min to play.

Then, just as it appeared that Linwood were going to have a deserved win, the students in the dying seconds were awarded a penalty 35m out, which Cameron coolly slotted to tie it up.

Cameron was commendable with his goal-kicking and general all round effort, while Morris worked hard for his tries and performed his other roles well. Captain Harrison Groundwater kept things calm whenever they threated to go awry and hooker Josh Ma’u, apart from some lineout throwing woes, was outstanding in the tough exchanges.

Linwood’s notables were Kini, who was very committed at the go forward and prominent on close defence forcing several turnovers; lock Tim Houghton was strong at scrum and lineout and around the track, while No.8 Jordan Stewart tidied up well and was difficult to stop when running the ball up.

Southen’s tactical kicking and use of the breeze in the first-half was exceptional and centre Devery coupled with Limu-Franklin whose ability to break the line and general defence stood out.

Hawkins MVP: Tyler Hansen Kini (Linwood) 3, Brett Cameron (Lincoln University) 2, Ben Morris (Lincoln University) 1.

Paddy Brandon

In the division two curtain-raiser, Shirley scored an unconverted try 2min from the final whistle to record its first win (20 -19) of the season leaving Linwood still looking to notch its first scalp. In a scrappy encounter, with little continuity, between two evenly matched teams, Shirley led, 15-0, at half-time.

In the second 40min, Linwood scored 19 unanswered points and led by four as the clock counted down. Shirley lost their shape and composure and it looked like the wheels were falling off.

Then the visitors with the best structure of the game got into the Linwood red zone, setting up five pick and goes before crossing in the corner.

Shirley players who impressed were hooker Kenton Robinson, who was powerful in the contacts and scrum, first–five Adam Bartram, who distributed and ran effectively, and second-five Phillipe Trippier, who was sound on the tackle and tough to bring down.

For Linwood, lock Ben Wooding was good at securing and disrupting lineout ball, No.8 Cameron Tangen was vigorous in the contact and a strong runner with the ball, and centre Ernie Tairau constantly threatened the line and defended soundly.



High School Old Boys 27 (Angus Blair, Reed Prinsep tries; Jarred Percival conv, 5 pen) beat New Brighton 20 (Ryan Newman, Reuben Spicer tries; Scott Davidson 2 conv, 2 pen). HT: 6-17. Referee: Blair Barclay.

Unbeaten New Brighton began the game at a frantic pace, with their high tempo game taking it to the home side.

But by the end of the game it all came unstuck, with handling errors and tactical decisions, and misplaced kicking, handing Old Boys the momentum.

The men in white applied the pressure and the visitors cracked, their normally solid defence capitulating and conceding 15 points in the last 10min, giving Old Boys a much needed win that looked unlikely at the break.

Winning possession at most phases, the seasiders attacked with gay abandon and after 9min flanker Ryan Newman drove over following a series of rucks on the Old Boys line.

Maintaining the same approach, New Brighton launched a high ball which was caught by a defender. But he was stripped of the ball and halfback Reuben Spicer toed the loose ball forward into the clear, regathered, and scored wide out on 19min, for a 14-0 lead.

New Brighton’s propensity for giving away penalties was to prove very costly. Old Boys first-five Jarred Percival kicked two in the first half to keep Old Boys in the game.

A further three in the second stanza, the last on 83min from 50m out ended the game. Percival missed three other kicks as well.

After 60min the score-line stood at 20-12 following a Percival penalty and from here the momentum clearly swung away from New Brighton, as if someone had hit their off switch and turned Old Boys on.

New Brighton fullback Scott Davidson had a less than memorable match. Aside from his 100 per cent goal-kicking for the day, his territorial kicking left a lot to be desired. He also fluffed a tap kick after taking a mark, handing the ball over well inside his 22m.

Not long after, Old Boys centre George Bridge stood him up before dishing off to the following wing Angus Blair to score on 73min and close the gap to 20-17.

Uncharacteristic errors by New Brighton kept it on the defensive in the dying minutes.

New Brighton players and vocal supporters were mortified on 79min when Davidson attempted a dinky chip and chase kick into open territory from his 22m rather than a serious clearing kick downfield.

His lightweight kick was deftly charged down by Old Boys and Crusaders No.8 Reed Prinsep, who regathered and scored to give Old Boys the lead. A few minutes later, Percival’s long-range penalty extended the lead on full-time.

This was a game that New Brighton should not have lost, but their inability to absorb pressure at the death was crucial, coupled with Old Boys sensing the possibility of an upset and believing in themselves.

For Old Boys, Reed Prinsep deserved his try as reward for hard work. He was a busy leader in the contact exchanges with his counterpart Aaron McCoy. His brother, prop Blair Prinsep, was also to the fore, and openside-captain Tom Stanley was a common factor in winning penalties in the tackle, which frustrated New Brighton and cost them points.

First-five Percival kicked steadily and was the catalyst keeping the scoreboard close. Bridge was a hard-running centre whose off-load to Angus Blair was perfectly timed to close the gap with time running out.

New Brighton flanker-captain Billy Harmon was everywhere in the loose and at the tail of the lineout, until invalided off with a dislocated shoulder. Lock Ben Nelson was a tower in the lineout and prop Carisbrook Toomal’atai was a power in the scrums and mauls.

McCoy relished the bruising hits in the rucks and mauls. Young halfback Reuben Spicer distributed quickly and cleanly, but has a bit to learn when under pressure.

Hawkins MVP: Reed Prinsep (HSOB) 3, Ben Nelson (New Brighton) 2, Tom Stanley (HSOB) 1.

Donn Leckie

The division two curtain-raiser between Old Boys and Sumner was a precursor to the main event. Old Boys sneaked home, 24-19, albeit rather fortuitously, after trailing for all but the last few minutes, like their division one team.

Sumner locks Nigel Archbold and Michael Howzen both scored tries by the posts in the first half after concerted forward drives, resulting from Old Boys failures to catch the ball from kick-offs.

Old Boys’ inability to do the game’s basic skills like catch the ball, and tackle, cost them, but Sumner’s indiscretions kept the home team in the hunt, allowing Old Boys wing Rupert van der Pol three successful penalty kicks to trail 9-14 at the break.

Livewire Sumner flanker Freddie Renwick extended their lead just after the restart. Sumner’s strength in the loose had turned possession into points early, but Old Boys scrambling defence forced the visitors into errors as the game wore on, allowing them to break out, despite the fumbling efforts of fullback Jordan Reid who didn’t have a game to remember.

Old Boys looked doomed until they finally got some space on attack after 69min and outflanked the tiring Sumner defence, to put wing Richard Cook across.

He was gifted his double 3min later after a fine 40m breakout by veteran halfback Kane Finnie, who was caught just shy of the line, but Cook was handy to gather and score again. A van der Pol penalty at full-time gave Old Boys a somewhat flattering win.



At Sydenham Park: Sydenham 24 (Amanaki Nicole, Liam Smart tries; Kieran Lindsay conv, 4 pen) beat Christchurch 15 (Nick Annear, Cam Bailey tries; Bailey conv, pen). HT: 9-7. Sin-bin: Inga Finau (Christchurch). Referee: Carl Johnson.

The strength of Sydenham’s bench was the key factor in their win, a late bombardment by the home side leaving Christchurch supporters (and players) shell-shocked.

Not that the Sydenham men who were replaced had done anything wrong, but after Jordan Stone, Scott Kelly, Amanaki Nicole, and Misa Lamositele brought fresh legs to the party, Sydenham looked more and more threatening.

Nicole and Kelly made telling contributions to Sydenham’s surge after the side was 12-15 down with 10min to play. First Nicole called the play then veered sweetly infield off Moses Faletolu to score with no defender within spitting distance of him, then Kelly made a powerful burst which led to hooker and captain Liam Smart scoring under the bar.

Sydenham had led 9-0 into injury time in the first half and deserved to be there after Kieran Lindsay had kept steering them in the right direction with spot-on punting and goal-kicking.

Then Christchurch produced a piece of magic. Inga Finau, a midfielder with talent, made a sharp cut, Fiji international Ben Volavola (playing from fullback) chimed in with verve and swerve, and halfback Nick Annear was in perfect position to cross under the bar.

When Volavola and Annear looked likely to pull off a similar trick soon after the break, it looked as though Christchurch would rule the roost.

But the visitors’ only scoring after the break was a penalty goal to Cam Bailey and a try on the right wing to the same man as Christchurch kept the hammer down, sweeping the attack from side to side until the defence was stretched beyond breaking point.

For Sydenham, diminutive fullback Mitch Hunt cut an interesting figure. Hunt’s acceleration and step alarmed Christchurch several times as he kept looking to join the action.

Brad Tucker was the standout forward for Christchurch, as Kieran Coll, William Mills, and Angus Middleton were a bit off their best form. Ethan Plaskett came on late to notch his 50th appearance.

Hawkins MVP: Kieran Lindsay (Sydenham) 3, Moses Faletolu (Sydenham) 2, Scott Kelly (Sydenham) 1.

Jim Doyle

Three second-half tries to right wing Jack Payne and another to Jimmy Lim swept Sydenham to a 41-14 win over University in the second-division curtain-raiser.

 The scores were locked at 14-14 before Sydenham No.8 Moses Fasita made a barnstorming run soon after the break to send Payne away for the first of his treble.

That opened the floodgates although University kept attacking when they had the chance. No.8 Fraser Bryant and lock Torin Rensford were to the fore in University’s purple patches.



At Edgar MacIntosh Park: Marist Albion 37 (Rowan O’Gorman 2, Famalo Magele 2, Chris Crichton, Michael Gill tries; Robbie Harlow 2 conv, pen) beat Shirley 22 (Nathan Smith, Oli Mills, Tawhiri Wharehinga, Keita Sekimoto tries; Smith conv). HT: 18-10. Referee: Scott Cunnold. Sin-bin: Sam O’Brien (Marist Albion).

A slow and disorganised start proved costly for Shirley which conceded two tries – the second a very soft one – in the first 14min. Both teams scored four tries after that, but unlike the previous week against Old Boys this time Shirley was unable to repair the early damage.

Neither side settled in the first quarter, turnovers were aplenty and pushed passes often found the grass or sideline. Marist Albion scored its first try from a scrum 45m out, the ball being passed cleanly through the backline with right wing Chris Crichton proving once again his finishing ability.

His fellow wing Michael Gill had the second after 14min with a strong touch-line dash, but the two Shirley defenders he left in his wake should have done much better with their tackles.

Shirley, which had hardly been inside Marist Albion’s 22m in the first half hour, struck twice inside 5min after 31min. First-five Nathan Smith, who had been involved early, completed a 90m break out which featured some lovely inter-passing.

Soon after Shirley was over again. Marist Albion won a Shirley throw to the lineout but fed to control the ball and halfback Oli Mills gratefully grabbed a favourable bounce near the line. Shirley was back in the game, trailing 13-10.

But Shirley was left lamenting in the last minute before half-time. A pass was dropped on the 22m line and predatory Marist Albion hooker Rowan O’Gorman needed no second invitation to scoop up the ball and sprint to the line.

O’Gorman had his second try 2min after the resumption, swooping on a ball left behind by Shirley only metres from the line and the match was safe for Marist Albion when No.8 Famalo Magele, who came more into the game as it opened up, scored off a lineout drive after 57min then crossed again 5min later when Shirley’s defence was outnumbered.

However, Shirley showed it is a side which will play for 80min and it scored its third try after 66min when powerful prop Tawhiri Wharehinga charged over after a series of attacks close to the line. The bonus-point try came 3min from time when replacement halfback Keita Sekimoto stepped deftly through a fragmented defence.

Marist Albion captain, lock Ross Kennedy, was a colossus in the lineouts, invariably calling himself and winning Marist Albion throws, and some of Shirley’s, with ease. He wrested ball away from Shirley in the mauls and was a stout defender. The wily O’Gorman and flanker Charlie Gamble were close at hand.

Fullback Dan Fransen impressed with his willingness to join the line and his speed took him away from defenders. First-five Tom Reekie was a good link and centre Des Spooner was direct on attack and strong on defence.

Wharehinga stood out for Shirley with his powerful ball-carrying and flanker Siua Maile was active to the end, often acting as halfback at the breakdown. Smith kicked well for touch and made several incisive breaks, while replacement centre Vinimoa Letiu put in some big hits that derailed Marist Albion attacks.

Hawkins MVP: Ross Kennedy (Marist Albion) 3, Dan Fransen (Marist Albion) 2, Tawhiri Wharehinga (Shirley) 1.

Bob Schumacher

Marist Albion ran up a cricket score in the premier colts curtain-raiser, winning 96-0 after leading 57-0 at the break. The referee mercifully called the game off early to save Shirley blushes of conceding 100 points.

Marist Albion was bigger and stronger in the forwards and the plethora of possession gave the home team backs plenty of opportunity to show their attacking wares which they did with slick handling and passing. The odd time Shirley pressed their opponent’s try-line, the ball would be turned over and a try scored 90m at the other end.

The strapping Marist Albion midfield combination of Eddie Ziolo and centre Bracken Reeves was hard to contain, Reeves scoring five tries, and in a dominant pack bearded lock Jackson Kearney was a commanding figure.

Shirley plugged away and kept their heads up. Flanker Tama Tangimetua impressed with his ball-carrying and was taking it to the opposition to the end.



At Rugby Park: University 34 (Nigel Gibb 2, Isaac Leota, Morgyn Cowan, Jimmy Tupou tries; Finlay Christie 3 conv, pen) beat Sumner 10 (Elias Caven, Wes Mauafu tries). HT: 8-0. Referee: James Munro. Sin-bin: Liam Geer (Sumner). 

A strong forward display and an ability to ruthlessly capitalise on opposition errors was fundamental to University’s second win on the bounce, over Sumner.

In a game riddled with errors from both sides it was University who took their opportunities as they netted five tries to Sumner’s two.

The scoring started in third minute when Sumner were penalised were losing their feet at the ruck with University halfback Finlay Christie potting the penalty goal for his side.

Despite numerous breaks and strong sniping runs by both sides, handling let them down for the rest of the first half until Sumner prop Liam Geer was sin- binned on the stroke of half-time for a ruck infringement following a strong run by Christie.

From the ensuing penalty, University’s pack showed their dominance of the Sumner eight with a strong rolling maul providing the game’s first try to flanker Morgyn Cowan.

After Christie missed a penalty attempt early in the second half, University were quick to make sure it didn’t go unrewarded as they camped themselves in Sumner’s half.

A few phases later, strong-running centre Nigel Gibb found a bit of space and burst through a couple of tackles to extend their lead out to 15-0.

Sumner’s moment came after 54min when University’s try-scoring hero from the first half became the villain as his offload hit the deck and was pounced on by centre Poasa Waqanibau who burst 65m up field before passing to Elias Caven who crossed out wide.

It was to be the only sign of a comeback however as errors continued to plague Sumner and unsurprisingly Gibb’s second try came via an intercept deep in Sumner’s 22m.

Reliable second-five Isaac Leota brought up University’s bonus-point try when the ball was spread to him from a scrum 30m out from his own line, where he brushed off three tacklers on a weaving 70m run to the line.

With 5min to go, Sumner found themselves on a rare attacking foray into Varsity’s 22m and, after they spread the ball wide, Wes Mauafu showed his strength to carry a would-be tackler over the line to reduce the margin to 29-10.

With time up University decided to have one last crack at the Sumner line from a penalty. After winning the lineout, Jimmy Tupou used his size and strength to muscle his way across.

Christie was the standout performer for University. His crisp passes set his side’s backline alight on a number of occasions and he was also dangerous around the ruck, producing plenty of line breaks as Sumner’s defence remained consistently on edge to the threat he posed.

His only blemish came with the boot as he missed a couple of his six attempts before he was replaced after 67min.

Gibb’s direct running got University on the front foot plenty of times throughout the contest and his footwork and short passing game was also a feature.

Tupou was a standout in a forward pack that, with the exception of one strong Sumner rolling maul in the first half, was dominant as he ranged wide on three occasions throwing well timed off-loads to his outsides while he was also reliable at lineout time.

Leota for the third week running didn’t put a foot wrong in a backline with a number of personnel changes (losing Marty McKenzie and Jone Macilai to Crusaders’ duty) for this game.

Hawkins MVP: Finlay Christie (University) 3, Nigel Gibb (University) 2, Jimmy Tupou (University) 1.

 Anthony Morgan

No curtain-raiser was played.



Hawkins Logo






60: Jarred Percival (HSOB)
44: Nikolas Cumming (Sumner)
43: Nic Southen (Linwood)
35: Scott Davidson (New Brighton), Hagen Schulte (Marist Albion)
33: Jordie Barrett (LU)
31: Marty McKenzie (University)
29: Cam Bailey (Chch)
26: Kieran Lindsay (Sydenham)
4: Ron Katonivere (New Brighton), Isaac Leota (University)
3: Ben Morris (LU), Jack Stratton (LU), Frank Havea (Belfast), Jarred Percival (HSOB), Kalavini Leatigaga (Linwood), Famalo Magele (Marist Albion), Mark Burton (New Brighton)
6: Jack Stratton (LU), Finlay Christie (University)
5: Billy Harmon (New Brighton)
4: Sam Limu-Franklin (Linwood), Isaac Leota (University)


Points as at 23rd April

Team Played Wins Draws Losses Defaults Bonus For Against F/A Points
Lincoln University Div 1 4 3 1 0 0 4 144 79 65 18
University Div 1 4 3 0 1 0 4 150 44 106 16
New Brighton Div 1 4 3 0 1 0 4 148 70 78 16
Marist Albion Div 1 4 3 0 1 0 2 127 114 13 14
Linwood Div 1 4 2 1 1 0 3 113 127 -14 13
Christchurch Div 1 4 2 0 2 0 2 116 101 15 10
HSOB Div 1 4 2 0 2 0 1 90 94 -4 9
Sydenham Div 1 4 2 0 2 0 0 61 71 -10 8
Shirley Div 1 4 1 0 3 0 4 88 117 -29 8
Belfast Div 1 4 1 0 3 0 3 73 177 -104 7
Sumner Div 1 4 1 0 3 0 1 84 114 -30 5
Burnside Div 1 4 0 0 4 0 0 45 131 -86 0

Other Results


Challenge Shield Match - Christchurch Retain

Christchurch 26 v. Lyttelton 15, HSOB 24 v. Sumner 19, Burnside 22 v. Lincoln University 17, Belfast 12 v. Suburbs 22, Linwood 19 v. Shirley 20, Marist Albion 15 v. New Brighton 23, Sydenham v. University, no result received;



Challenge Shield - Lincoln University Holder

Marist Albion v. Shirley, no result received, New Brighton v. University, New Brighton Win by default, Sydenham 78 v. Linwood 7, Burnside 15 v. Christchurch 18, HSOB 34 v. Belfast 14, Lincoln University bye;



Challenge Shield Match – Marist Albion Beacons Win

Christchurch 26 v. Marist Albion Beacons 35, Burnside 43 v. University 5, Marist Albion 37 v. Otautahi 17, HSOB 26 v. Suburbs 17;



Challenge Shield Match - HSOB Retain

Burnside 7 v. HSOB 46, Christchurch 22 v. Lincoln University 23, Sumner 5 v. Glenmark-Cheviot 31, University v. Linwood, no result received, Ashley v. Marist Albion, Ashley Win by default, Merivale Papanui 31 v. CBHS 2nd XV 26, New Brighton bye;



Challenge Shield Match - Marist Albion Holder

Shirley v. Marist Albion, no result received, New Brighton 31 v. Lyttelton 34, Burnside 10 v. Shirley W 52,

Suburbs S 22 v. Belfast 7;



No Games - ANZAC Weekend



Challenge Shield Match - University Retain

Thursday 21st April, 2016

Christchurch 55 v. Marist Albion 0,

Saturday 23rd April, 2016

University v. Sydenham, University Win by default, HSOB 63 v. Burn/Duns/Irwell 27, Suburbs 67 v. Lincoln 12, Kaiapoi 18 v. Linwood 17, Burnside bye;


Site by Orbital Ltd