SBS Bank Hawkins

Game Day - Week 6

8 May 2016

Metro Logo Hawkins Logo SATURDAY 7th May 2016

SCORES: University 35 Linwood 22; Lincoln University 43 Marist Albion 26; Christchurch 37 Burnside 26; HSOB 87 Belfast 10; New Brighton 27 Shirley 17; Sydenham 45 Sumner 32.



A mouth-watering prospect awaits next Saturday when leader University confronts Hawkins Cup champion for the last three years, Lincoln University, in round seven of the Metro Division One competition.

The student rivalry at Lincoln University will take centre stage, but another significant clash will occur at Christchurch Park where last year’s Cup runner-up New Brighton, which lies second on the log, opposes last season’s beaten championship finalist, Christchurch, which sits in fourth place.

University, courtesy of maximum points against Linwood in round six on Saturday, leads the competition by a point from previous co-leader New Brighton which managed only three tries in its 10-point win against eastern suburbs rival Shirley.

Lincoln University is just two points adrift of University in third place after its bonus-point win against fourth-placed Linwood, while Christchurch improved to fourth, on 20 points, with an 11-point win over Burnside which gained its first competition point by scoring four tries.

Burnside led 26-14 at the break at Christchurch Park, but the home team, probably on the back of some strong words at half-time by their coaches, showed their class in the second half, scoring 23 points and keeping Burnside scoreless.

Halfback Finlay Christie, now a clear leader in the Hawkins Medal Most Valuable player competition, had an inspired game for University, which after leading 27-7 at half-time, was outscored by Linwood in the second half.

High School Old Boys first-five Jarred Percival scored one of Old Boys’ 13 tries in their rout of Belfast. He kicked eight conversions from 10 attempts and his haul of 21 points lifted him to 94 on the points-scoring list, 35 points ahead of Sumner first-five Nik Cumming.

New Brighton and Shirley scored three tries each at Rawhiti Domain where home team Brighton won more comfortably than the 10-point margin might suggest. Shirley’s first try was from an intercept and the last two came late in the game.

Sydenham wings, Milford Keresoma and Amanaki Nicole, along with flanker Jay Smith, all scored two tries in their 13-point win over Sumner. Sumner embarrassed the Sydenham scrum and the home team also conceded too many penalties.

Lincoln University was reinforced by the return of some experienced, key players and that helped it to pull away from Marist Albion in the second half after leading by only five points at the break.



At Ilam 1: University 35 (Finlay Christie 2, Bradley Hemopo, Nic Brooker, Braydon Ennor tries; Hemopo 2 conv, 2 pen) beat Linwood 22 (Alex Hodgman, Aayden Clarke, Pita Anae-Ah Sue, Jordan Stewart tries; Clarke conv) HT: 27-7. Referee: Mike Pinfold (Wellington). Sin-bin: Isaac Leota (University).

University showed why they went into round six on top of the table after they executed their opportunities better than Linwood.

In a tale of two halves, University raced out of the blocks, scoring four tries to one in a dominant opening half showing.

University opened the scoring after 3min when Bradley Hemopo converted a penalty goal from in front before livewire halfback Finlay Christie stamped his mark on the contest.

With Linwood hot on attack in the opposition 22m, University got a breakdown turnover which Christie cleared down field. With no Linwood player able to gather possession, the bounce of the ball fell to Christie, who sprinted 30m down the right hand touch-line to make it 8-0.

Linwood soon found themselves back on attack however after receiving back-to-back penalties and it wasn’t long before they reduced the gap to one point with prop Alex Hodgman barging over from close range.

A few minutes later University found themselves reduced to 14-men after Isaac Leota was sin-binned for a ruck infringement. It had little effect on them, however, as they profited with two tries in the 10min period without their second-five.

First Christie completed his second after a good inter-change of passing, which included a strong off load by Jimmy Tupou, before No.8 Hemopo completed a break out movement wide on the left after a break up the middle of the park by Nic Brooker.

With University back to a full complement, Christie went from scorer to provider as he produced a sniping run from a ruck after quick ball before he released an offload to fullback Brooker who crossed to put Varsity up 27-7 at half-time.

Down 20 going into the second half, Linwood did anything but throw in the towel as they raced out of the blocks, finding themselves hot on attack early in the second half.

After a sustained period of possession, with the ball being spread from side to side in University’s 22m, the pressure finally told on the University defence when Aayden Clarke crossed out wide.

After Hemopo added a penalty for University, Linwood crossed again through Pita Anae-Ah Sue after sustained territorial dominance.

University’s ability to take the opportunities presented was shown when Braydon Ennor crossed for their only try in the second half on one of their few forays into Linwood’s half, before Jordan Stewart scored Linwood’s fourth.

Christie continued his brilliant season, scoring University’s first two tries, with his sniping runs and probing kicks constantly having Linwood’s defence on edge.

Lock Tupou made some big busts from his own half in University’s strong first half as he showed his blinding speed that he has from being a regular loose forward.

Tupou’s ability to offload in the tackle providing quick ball and space for Christie to cross for his second try and he was also reliable at lineout time.

Hemopo is a man of many talents. Playing at No.8 he finished off a sweeping movement for a try and was also the team’s goal-kicker, netting four of his seven attempts.

A strong runner with ball in hand, he regularly got University on the front foot and was dangerous when he ranged wide in the backline.

For Linwood, Alex Hodgman was strong up front, producing a couple of turnovers and he got the ball rolling with his side’s first try.

Hawkins Medal (MVP): Finlay Christie (University) 3, Jimmy Tupou (University) 2, Bradley Hemopo (University) 1.

Anthony Morgan

Lyttelton made it five wins from six starts in the division two curtain-raiser after they beat University 19-13 with a last gasp try by first-five Ben Corston.

In a low scoring encounter, Lyttelton led at half-time, 7-3, after the sole opening half try by Kabe Harding.

In a fluctuating second half, Nick Fisher’s try from a grubber saw Lyttelton leading 12-10 as the game entered the final 10min before University took the lead back with a penalty.

Lyttelton were not to be denied however. After they received a penalty and won the ensuing lineout they had a few cracks at the line from close range, before former Sumner player Corston’s pick-and-go ultimately proved successful.

Flanker Campbell Stewart was a standout performer for Lyttelton as he produced numerous strong runs to get his side on the front foot.

The defeat drops University to 3-3 after they opened their season with three consecutive wins.



At Edgar MacIntosh Park: Lincoln University 43 (Jack Goodhue, Ashton Tuck, Nick Lake, Harrison Groundwater, Anty Burnett tries; Brett Cameron 3 conv, 4 pen) beat Marist Albion 26 (Sam O’Brien 2, Chris Crichton, Tom Reekie tries; Reekie 2 conv; Hayden Schulte conv). HT: 19-14. Referee: Geoff Willmott (Auckland).

There were familiar figures back for Lincoln University and they played their parts in a comfortable win over a Marist Albion side that looked most dangerous when victory was out of their reach.

Jack Goodhue (for the first half only, minus a short spell in the blood-bin), Harrison Groundwater (80min), Jack Stratton (60min), Jack Powell (60min), and Nick Werahiko (74min) did a lot to help quell Marist Albion’s challenge, which had the home side ahead at the 25min mark.

Goodhue scored the game’s first try, blanketed by the entire pack, and was almost in again shortly after when he charged down a kick. Groundwater was staunch in midfield and scored one of four Lincoln tries in the second half after a sharp break by fullback Nick Lake.

Stratton was assured behind a mighty Lincoln scrum, driven by Chris Gawler, Joel Hintz and co-captain Werahiko, the forwards also giving him plenty of ruck ball to spread. Powell figured prominently with his ball-carrying.

Flankers Luke McKenna and Anty Burnett might be short in stature but they light up the ground with their bursting runs and work over the tackled ball.

But probably the best forward for Lincoln was No.8 Hugo Nankivell, whose searching for work and ball-carrying were outstanding.

Brett Cameron worked some slick moves from first-five and kicked well at goal, landing two conversions from the right touchline as part of his act.

For Marist Albion, blindside flanker Sam O’Brien had two tries as just reward for a dynamic display. Marce Taulango made his mark on the charge after he came on early in the second half.

Midfielders Dylan Lolohea and Paddy Kelly hit the defensive line hard with their probing running. Lolohea made a huge break late in the game as Marist Albion sought respectability – and gained it.

Hawkins MVP: Hugo Nankivell (Lincoln University) 3, Brett Cameron (Lincoln University) 2, Sam O’Brien (Marist Albion) 1.

Jim Doyle 

With two tries shortly after the break, Lincoln University looked to have the second-division curtain-raiser well under control.

But Marist Albion hit back with two tries of their own and in the end Lincoln were just hanging on to the Challenge Shield with a 30-28 win.

Lincoln’s forwards were the key to the victory, two tries from driving mauls underlining their dominance. Lock Jack McFarlane had a big game with ball in hand and Andrew Hull also carried well. Prop Patrick Stefano was a key figure.

For Marist Albion, lock Josh Doherty was the side’s player-of-the-day. Centre Fritz Va’a set up the sweetest of tries for Andrew Taiulu while feisty halfback Oliver Dimmock also got on the score sheet.



Chch v Burnside Christchurch 37 (Daniel Koster 2, Kololo Otutaha, Hamish Kilpatrick, Jordan Jackett, Inga Finau tries; Cam Bailey 2 conv, Dan Dorgan pen) beat Burnside 26 (James Logan, Owen Murphy, Hayden Webber, Mitch Rhodes tries; Luke Reihana 3 conv). HT: 14-26. Referee: Carl Johnson. Sin-bin: Simon Forrest (Chch).

Bottom placed Burnside belied their position on the ladder and the formbook to take an at times belligerent attacking game to Christchurch, and up to half-time and for a few minutes beyond, rattled the home team with four-well taken tries and a bonus point.

Twice within the first quarter hour, Burnside kicked penalties into the corner and were rewarded with tries, to first-five James Logan and lock Owen Murphy from very similar lineout setups. A third penalty to repeat the move failed when Logan squandered the chance by kicking the ball out in goal. Two of his halfway dropouts also went out on the full.

In between Burnsides tries, Christchurch had stormed downfield and had put prop Kololo Otutaha over behind the posts from a tap-kick.

Burnside were feeding of scraps from the home team’s mistakes, coupled with some well-executed thievery by openside Mitch Cooke and some barnstorming rushes by blindside Peter Samu.

Samu was in superb form and a crunching burst into the clear on 28min, deep in his own half, was well supported by second-five Luke Reihana, who took the pass and put fullback Hayden Webber over.

However, again the home team struck back immediately through their midfield general Inga Finau, who put hooker Hamish Kilpatrick in to close the gap to 14-19.

Burnside were firing well and continued to dominate for the remainder of the half, and it was just reward that right on the 40th min Burnside again caught the home team napping. Wing Nathan Steele and the ever present Samu combined to put captain and halfback Mitch Rhodes in under the bar for a very handy 26-14 lead at the break.

Unfortunately for the visitors, normal transmission resumed for Christchurch after the restart. The red-and-blacks half-time message was to shore up their defences, and that was what they did, denying Burnside the freedom they had relished in the first stanza, while looking to regain the territorial advantage they needed to get tries of their own.

On 44min, a superb solo run by left wing Daniel Koster opened Burnside up as he jinked and stepped defenders to cross wide out and close the gap. Minutes later Christchurch were denied a try in a maul but awarded a penalty. Electing a 5m scrum, bustling No.8 Jordan Jackett picked up at the back and beat all defenders to cross easily. Fullback Ben Volavola’s attempted tying conversion hit the post.

Christchurch v BurnsideA frustrated Burnside began to concede penalties which mostly cost them territory, but on three-quarter time Christchurch’s third goal-kicker, first-five Dan Dorgan, nudged one over from in front and their first lead of the match.   

Desperation now set in for Burnside and try as they might they were unable to breach Christchurch’s defensive resolve. Turnovers proved costly as Christchurch applied the squeeze and forced errors.

Koster crossed for his pair after a stock backline move and a six-point buffer as Dorgan’s conversion attempt hit the woodwork again. With 5min left, a penalty attempt to get beyond the seven-point margin also clattered into the post.

A late try to centre Inga Finau was just reward for him, but denied Burnside of a deserved second bonus point.     

Christchurch finished the match with 14 when replacement hooker Simon Forrest was sin-binned for a dangerous tackle.  

For Christchurch, Finau defended well and made inroads to set up attacking positions, allowing halfback Steve Alfeld to set things alight as Christchurch clawed back control. Jackett, locks William Mills and Kieran Coll, and hooker Hamish Kilpatrick were busy in the contact exchanges and lineouts.

Burnside almost did enough, helped immeasurably by flanker Samu who was outstanding, and poacher Mitch Cooke and hooker Ged Robinson in the rucks and mauls. Wings Steele and Rowland Kotobalavu showed pace when space allowed.

Hawkins MVP: Inga Finau (Chch) 3, Pete Samu (Burnside) 2, William Mills (Chch) 1.

Donn Leckie

The Christchurch versus Burnside division two curtain-raiser was won by Christchurchy, 24-19, courtesy of a dominant forward pack superbly led by burly prop Matt Freeman whose front-row efforts and all-round the field skills deservedly brought him two tries.

Christchurch settled into a comfortable mode in the set pieces and didn’t allow Burnside any respite in the scrums. Christchurch won four tightheads as they shunted the visitors off their scrum put-ins readily.

Right wing Leo Lafi crossed on 11min after a sustained attack. Freeman was in for his first on quarter time when diminutive halfback Shu Yoshimoto’s inside pass to the rampaging Freeman was unstoppable in front.

A 5m scrum on the half hour had No.8 Matt Brabazon pick up and cross over easily. But just on half-time, left wing Mike Rasmussen danced down the touchline to boost the visitor’s score.

Despite being outgunned up front, Burnside attacked with relish and big centre Lance Gahan shredded the home team defence soon after the restart to make it 13-19. On 57min a huge head-high tackle on the flying Rasmussen by flanker Kimeon Reid saw Reid sin-binned and Burnside were awarded a penalty try to give them an unlikely lead, 20-19.

However, when Gooding was binned for Burnside they lost their impetus and Christchurch took advantage. Two successive 5m scrum tightheads allowed Christchurch to attack and put Freeman over for his second try which proved the match-winner.



At Rawhiti Domain: New Brighton 27 (Aaron McCoy, Nikos Cummings-Toone, Zac Trusler tries; Mark Burton 3 conv, 2 pen) beat Shirley 17 (Junior Taia,Keita Sekimoto, Brandon Fanolua tries; Nathan Smith conv). HT: 10-7. Referee: Gareth Reed. Sin-bin: Suia Maile (Shirley). Sent off: Marcel Cummings-Toone (New Brighton). 

As might have been expected New Brighton prevailed over Shirley, but it was a hard-earned victory as the feisty visitors provided stern opposition before the home side prevailed.

Both sides scored three tries each, with the Shirley kicker Nathan Smith only successful with one from five attempts, however it would be errant to suggest this was the difference between the two sides.

After an even first half in which the game ebbed and flowed, New Brighton held a narrow 10-7 lead, but the home side returned to the field more motivated.

The forwards hit the rucks and mauls with more strength and purpose, and behind the scrum first-five Tony Christie, halfback Reuben Spicer, and later from the bench the return of Tyson Keats turned the opposition around with intelligent kicking for field position, resulting in a handy 24-7 lead at the three-quarter mark to take control of the game.

To their credit Shirley replied with two tries in the last quarter, but by then the game was lost and it was the home side that was searching for the bonus-point try at the close.

It took 30min for the first points which came from a penalty to New Brighton fullback Mark Burton and 8min later they scored their opening try when No.8 Aaron McCoy caught the defence napping from a quickly-taken tap penalty.

With the clock running down to half-time, Shirley No.8 Junior Taia snaffled an interception to run 30m for his side’s first try.

The home side lifted the intensity of their game after the resumption and added their second try after 45min following a prolonged attack on the visitor’s line for prop Nikos Cummings-Toone to burrow over. Wing Zac Trusler was on the end of a sweet backline movement to cross after 60min.

Shirley took some advantage of a red card issued to replacement Marcel Cumming-Toone for referee abuse to score two tries in the last 15min to wings Keita Sekimoto and Brandon Fanalua. Both were the result of some crisp passing and excellent finishing.

New Brighton lock Ben Nelson had a strong game, securing lineout ball including several against the throw and popping up as a strong ball-carrier to his side’s advantage. McCoy had his usual solid game off the back of the scrum and loose forward Ron Katonivere added some impetus coming from the bench in the second half.

The combination of Spicer and Christie behind the scrum was safe and secure in moving their side forward with purpose, and second-five Brett Mather was ever dangerous in his efforts to break the line.

Both prop Tawhiri Wharehinga and lock Phil Watson, with ball in hand, were effective in the Shirley

attacking efforts. Sean Wainui was sound but contained at centre although effective in setting up his wings Sekimoto and Fanolua, who were good finishers.

Hawkins MVP: Tony Christie (New Brighton) 3, Ben Nelson (New Brighton) 2, Phil Watson (Shirley) 1. 

Stewart Taylor

The academic result of the division two curtain-raiser saw a comprehensive win to New Brighton, 32-0, over Shirley, but centre stage belonged to the home side’s hooker Dean Cations.

Cations was playing in his 300th division two game spread over 15 years after having commenced in 2001. And his passion for the game reflected in the ability to inject life into his tiring legs.

New Brighton held a somewhat narrow 10-0 lead at half-time and experienced some stern opposition from the visitors. However, the second half belonged to the home side which scored four tries as the Shirley effort waned and the seasiders lifted the intensity of their game.

New Brighton lock Lewis Pou was to the forefront of the forward effort with strong support from loose forward Nick Fowler. Behind the scrum, halfback Kieran Le Beau cleared the ball well and directed play effectively, while centre Robbie Malvena was a strong runner in midfield always looking to break the line.

Shirley lock Ben Hitchcock got through a heavy work-load in the tight and flanker Joe Birmingham was tidy in mopping up in the loose. Second-five Michael Martlew defended well and always capable of breaching the defensive line.



At Bob Deans 1: High School Old Boys 87 (George Bridge 3, Nick Hyde 2, Kurt Polson 2, Josh Taylor, Will Hamilton, Jarred Percival, Darren Gillespie, Angus Blair, Michael Green tries; Percival 8 conv; Hamilton 3 conv) beat Belfast 10 (John Morell, Setelo Tuimoala tries). HT: 40-0. Referee: Blair Barclay. Sinbin: Angus Cameron (Old Boys).

The floodgates opened early and Old Boys poured through an ebbing Belfast defence. The bonus-point try was scored after 18min when it was 26-0 and then it became a matter of just how many points the home team would accrue.

In the end Old Boys fell 13 short of their century and it was Belfast who had the final say, scoring its second try in the final minute when a little grubber kick by Rhett Moore bounced behind the defence and into the corner for second-five Setelo Tuimoala to pounce upon.

Without key players such as halfback Leon Fukofuka and No.8 Naibuka Tavenavo, Belfast always had its back against the wall opposing an Old Boys team skilled in the set pieces and with pacy and penetrative backs.

Rangy centre George Bridge wafted through several ineffective tackles inside the third minute to open the scoring and three followed in the next 15min.

A short-side break by halfback Will Hamilton set up a try for No.8 Kurt Polson on 11min, hooker Nick Hyde was over 5min later after Old Boys kicked to the corner from a penalty and the forwards drove to the line. Almost from the kick-off fullback Josh Taylor easily won the race after Bridge kicked into open territory.

Belfast was in danger of being humiliated, but to its credit it manned up and produced some stirring rolling mauls in the second quarter that had Old Boys on the back foot and defending desperately. Old Boys lock Angus Cameron was banished to the bin for interference in one such forward surge.

Old Boys had to wait 20min for their fifth try, Hamilton lucky to be awarded a try after dropping the ball in the dive, but the sixth came from the restart, the forwards slipping several clever passes before putting first-five Jarred Percival away on a 70m sprint to the line.

The second half produced seven more tries for Old Boys and two for Belfast whose first try came after 52min. The forwards crashed and bashed at the line on half a dozen occasions but were thwarted every time. Then the ball popped away from the combat zone and wing Josh Morrell was the lucky recipient.

The depth of Old Boys’ bench was evident in the second spell, forward replacements Jackson Cox and Darren Gillespie leaving their mark but there was none better than former Canterbury representative Michael Green.  The talented centre beat five defenders when setting up Bridge for his second try and was a constant threat.

No.8 Polson was a dominant figure throughout and Hyde showed himself to be a heady hooker, scoring twice from lineout attacks near the line. Wing Angus Blair also impressed with subtle stepping.

After a quiet start, flanker Frank Havea roared into the game and was outstanding in the second spell with his bone-jarring hits and strong carries. No.8 Uluiasi Lawavou did well to claim the ball with the scrum on retreat and Tuimoala made several powerful midfield breaks.

Hawkins MVP: Kurt Polson (HSOB) 3, George Bridge (HSOB) 2, Frank Havea (Belfast) 1.

Bob Schumacher

In the division two curtain-raiser, High School Old Boys bagged their fourth win from six matches with a seven-try, 47-0 victory over winless Belfast. Old Boys led at the break, 19-0.

Old Boys were in charge for much of the match, having set-piece dominance and backs who were able to straighten the attack and capitalise on some wayward kicking by Belfast. The home team also had a reliable goal-kicker in fullback Rupert van der Pol, who slotted six conversions.

Blindside flanker Robbie Bonisch, who won a feast of lineout ball at the front, scored twice as did right wing Jordan Reid, who powered through the midfield for his first and intercepted and ran 85m for his second.

Both were in a position to score their third in the dying minutes but the bounce of the ball eluded them. Second-half replacement halfback, Jared Mitchell, loved running with the ball from the scrum base and nipped over for a try.

Belfast competed strongly at the breakdowns, winning numerous turnovers. No.8 Corey McKenzie saved several tries with stout defence on his line and replacement prop Alex Banks used his bulk to make good metres.

American wing Steven Knight, an NFL practice squad member with a 100m best time of 10.28s, showed his blistering pace on occasions. He is trying out for the USA sevens team.



At Sydenham Park: Sydenham 45 (Amanaki Nicole 2, Milford Keresoma 2, Jay Smith 2, Matt James tries; Kieran Lindsay 2 conv, 2 pen) beat Sumner 32 (Dylan Nel, Nathan Earl, Nigel Archibold tries; penalty try; Nik Cumming 3 conv, 2 pen). HT: 30-13. Referee: Mark Fisher (Taranaki).

Sydenham won an action-packed thriller against a Sumner side that simply refused to entertain the prospect of losing.

For the second week running, Sydenham took part in a match in which 77 points were scored, although this time the spoils were more evenly distributed. 

In beating the dogged visitors, the home side scored seven of the 11 tries, whilst Sumner got four, including a penalty try. Both teams earned a bonus point.

Sydenham were on the board after 4min with an Amanaki Nicole try in which he demonstrated a powerful fend during a 30m flirt with the chalk. Sumner stayed in touch with a Nik Cumming penalty.  Then he and Sydenham’s Kieran Lindsay traded penalty shots and Sumner were two points off the pace.

The try of the day, possibly of the season, came in the 26th min. Sydenham gained possession on the right 50m out. Moving the ball quickly through the hands to the left, with Misi Lamositele conspicuous, they were held up after a powerful Nicole run.

A quick recycle and well-timed passing, with backs and forwards featuring, created the space out on the right flank for Sydenham’s Milford Keresoma to dot down. Lindsay converted.

A distinct pattern was starting to reveal itself. Sydenham was getting hammered at scrum time by a powerful visitor’s pack. The cardinals were also attracting the ire of the referee in this phase and were heavily penalised.

The home team was wining the breakdown and contact and their-fleet footed backs, over-all pace, running lines and passing of its players were exposing Sumner out wide providing Nicole and Keresoma with an over-abundance of opportunities to create mayhem.

Sumner levelled the scores 15min from the break when the home team didn’t cover a poster and knocked on. The series of scrums and one- offs that followed resulted in a Sumner try to Dylan Nel and the Cumming conversion created a 13-all impasse.

Sydenham rounded out the first stanza scoring 17 points in 7min with a Lindsay penalty, and tries to Jay Smith and Keresoma, both converted by Lindsay, for a 30-13 half-time lead.

The second half echoed the first.  Astute substitutions in the Sumner tight five reinforced their scrum dominance and every time Sydenham looked like they would run away with it the visitors contrived to `hang in’.  Sydenham mounted an attack from their own 22m and created space on the left. 

However, the final pass was intercepted by Nathan Earl who sprinted 45m to the line. Cumming’s conversion put his team back in touch.

Then the teams traded tries over the next 30min with Nicole getting his second for Sydenham. The referee ran out of patience with the home team’s infringements at the scrum and contact close to their line and issued a general warning.

Three scrums later a defensive scrum collapsed and Sumner had a penalty try which Cumming converted and the gap was reduced to 10.

Smith got his second for the cardinals’ and Nigel Archibold bagged one for Sumner, converted by Cumming, and it was an eight-point game with 9min to play. Sydenham flanker Matt James put it beyond doubt in the 75th min with a try from a breakdown pick up and charge.

A good game of rugby that kept everyone honest showcased the talents of the Sydenham loose forward trio of Lamositele, Smith and James. The pace and finishing ability of Keresoma and Nicole was also a feature. Feisty first-five Mitch Hunt was no respecter of size difference.

Sumner’s Cumming gave a competent display at first-five and the starting tight five and replacements, Archibold, Jordan Sa and Matt Cruikshank, ensured Sydenham’s discomfort at the set piece was intensified. Flanker Nel provided competition in the loose.

Hawkins MVP: Jay Smith (Sydenham) 3, Amanaki Nicole (Sydenham) 2, Nick Cumming (Sumner) 1 

Paddy Brandon

An exciting and absorbing division two curtain-raiser resulted in a hard-earned, 19-15, win to Suburbs over Sydenham.

The visitors started with furious and uncompromising intensity and within 6min were 14 points up.  They increased their advantage to 19 points in the 23rd min with their third and final try.

From that point on Sydenham asserted control of proceedings. Securing possession and territory, they relentlessly attacked the Suburbs line close in, and out wide, and putting on 15 unanswered points to be only four adrift with 15min to play.

Dominating across the park, the home side reduced Suburbs to a scrambling, courageous defensive role and it only looked a matter of time before they would be rolled over. A combination of luck, tentative Sydenham finishing, and unforced errors saw the visitors hold on for a deserved win.

Suburbs players who featured were Ken Palenato, Junior John and Toni Arona, all uncompromising forwards who reveled in the close-in stuff.  Wing Chris Leautui was a nippy and dangerous runner.

For Sydenham, Dee Lotoalahi, Chorlune Chanton and Reuben Havey were prominent in the take up and forward drives. Jimmy Lim was a tidy fullback.

Hawkins Logo


Hawkins Leaderboards

94: Jarred Percival (HSOB).
59: Nik Cumming (Sumner).
52: Marty McKenzie (University).
50: Kieran Lindsay (Burnside).
48: Zac Southen (Linwood).
46: Brett Cameron (LU).
40: Brad Hemopo (University).
38: Scott Davidson (New Brighton).
37: Cam Bailey (Chch), Hagen Schulte (Marist Albion).
5: Zac Trusler (New Brighton), Amanaki Nicole (Sumner), Isaac Leota (University), Marty McKenzie (University), Brad Hemopo (University).
4: Chris Crichton (Marist Albion), Ron Katonivere (New Brighton), Jarred Percival (HSOB), George Bridge (HSOB), Inga Finau (Chch).
9: Finlay Christie (University).
6: Jack Stratton (LU), Marty McKenzie (University), Inga Finau (Chch), Amanaki Nicole (Sydenham).
5: Billy Harmon (New Brighton), Jarred Percival (HSOB).
4: Sam Limu-Franklin (Linwood), Isaac Leota (University), Hugo Nankivell (LU), Brett Cameron (LU), Peter Samu (Burnside), Ben Nelson (New Brighton), Phil Watson (Shirley), Frank Havea (Belfast), Nik Cumming (Sumner).


Points as at 7th May

Team Played Wins Draws Losses Defaults Bonus For Against F/A Points
University Div 1 6 5 0 1 0 6 236 85 151 26
New Brighton Div 1 6 5 0 1 0 5 203 95 108 25
Lincoln University Div 1 6 4 1 1 0 6 208 128 80 24
Christchurch Div 1 6 4 0 2 0 4 201 127 74 20
Linwood Div 1 6 3 1 2 0 5 166 176 -10 19
Sydenham Div 1 6 4 0 2 0 2 183 103 80 18
HSOB Div 1 6 4 0 2 0 2 200 125 75 18
Marist Albion Div 1 6 3 0 3 0 3 167 188 -21 15
Shirley Div 1 6 1 0 5 0 4 105 192 -87 8
Belfast Div 1 6 1 0 5 0 3 83 341 -258 7
Sumner Div 1 6 1 0 5 0 2 124 187 -63 6
Burnside Div 1 6 0 0 6 0 1 90 219 -129 1

Other Results


Challenge Shield Match - Lincoln University Retain

Marist Albion 28 v. Lincoln University 30, Christchurch 24 v. Burnside 20, HSOB 47 v. Belfast 0, Sumner 0 v. Linwood 32, Sydenham 15 v. Suburbs 19, University 13 v. Lyttelton 19, New Brighton 32 v. Shirley 0;



Catch-Up Game – Wednesday, 4 May 2016

Lincoln University 14 v. Marist Albion 17;

Saturday, 7 May 2016

Challenge Shield Match - Burnside Retain

Burnside 22 v. Sydenham 14, Christchurch 30 v. Lincoln University 14, HSOB 28 v. New Brighton 30, Marist Albion 45 v. Belfast 5, Shirley 27 v. Linwood 36, University bye;



Friday, 6 May 2016

Christchurch 24 v. University 7;

Saturday, 7 May 2016

Challenge Shield Match - Marist Albion Beacons Retain

Marist Albion Beacons 43 v. Marist Albion 0, HSOB 5 v. Burnside 12, Otautahi 49 v. Suburbs 5;



Challenge Shield Match - HSOB Retain

HSOB v. Sumner, HSOB win by default, Christchurch 50 v. Burnside 5, Marist Albion 0 v. Glenmark-Cheviot 42, CBHS 2nd XV 47 v. New Brighton 17, Lincoln University 11 v. Merivale Papanui 27, University 23 v. Ashley 16, Linwood bye;



Challenge Shield Match - Marist Albion Retain

Marist Albion 38 v. Belfast 17, Shirley 36 v. Burnside 14, New Brighton 15 v. Suburbs S 12, Lyttelton 15 v. Shirley W 24;



Challenge Shield Match – Christchurch C Win

Christchurch C 33 v. Belfast M 26, HSOB K 25 v. Sydenham S 27, Linwood B 39 v. Sumner S 0;



Challenge Shield - University Holder

Christchurch 60 v. Linwood 5, HSOB 31 v. Lincoln 36, Marist Albion 7 v. Burn/Duns/Irwell 60, Suburbs 46 v. Burnside 0, Kaiapoi 27 v. Sydenham 40, University bye;



St Bedes College 8 v. Nelson College 23, Waimea Combined 8 v. Christchurch BHS 39, Burnside HS 27 v. Lincoln HS 17, Timaru BHS 39 v. Ashburton College 10, St Thomas 15 v. Christs College 23, Marlborough B C 76 v. Roncalli College 0, St Andrew's College 43 v. Rangiora HS 13, Shirley BHS bye;

UC Championship – Midweek Round

Wednesday, 4 May 2016

Waimea Combined 42 v. Marlborough B C 19;


Site by Orbital Ltd