SBS Bank Hawkins

Game Day - Week 11

12 Jun 2016

Metro Logo Hawkins Logo SATURDAY 11th JUNE 2016

SCORES: Lincoln University 15 Sydenham 10; New Brighton 72 Belfast 12; University 30 Christchurch 28; Marist Albion 45 Burnside 10; Linwood 30 HSOB 23; Sumner 65 Shirley 31.



Upbeat New Brighton coach Scott Pawson was up front in his assessment of New Brighton’s Hawkins Cup success after the Metro Division One round-robin competition was completed on Saturday.

Pawson, in his fourth season as senior coach along with newcomer Troy Manaena, did not have visions of the Hawkins Cup residing in the New Brighton clubrooms along with the DCL Shield when they mapped out their season’s goals.

It was not as if they didn’t back their charges to be fiercely competitive or to be in contention, it was just that their squad had suffered wholesale losses in the off-season. Gone were prolific try-scoring Canterbury wing Tulolo Tulolo, goal-kicking first-five Stefan Moir, first-choice halfback Mitch Ellis, and robust flanker Troy Mangan.

That left big boots to fill and Pawson said the goal was to make the top six and be in with a chance of claiming the Hawkins Trophy which Brighton last won in 2013 in what was Pawson’s first season as division one coach.

``We knew if we lost one or two early games then we might well be playing for positions five, six or seven.’’

But a 48-17 drubbing of Marist Albion in round one set the tone for a Brighton team which is first to acknowledge that it is not a team littered with star players. The players there, however, are committed to one another, play to a structured pattern which starts with the forwards setting the platform and the backs having the freedom to display their talents out wide.

The only hiccups over the 11 rounds for Brighton were against High School Old Boys, when they blew a big lead, and against Christchurch when they finished the better but came up four points short.

The seasiders scored a vital bonus-point win against the title-holder Lincoln University in the penultimate round which had the two teams equal first on 40 points going into the last round.

As expected, New Brighton swamped Belfast at Rawhiti Domain by 60 points to claim the maximum five points then had to nervously await the result between Lincoln and third-placed Sydenham at Lincoln University.

 Lincoln had scored two tries and were leading, 15-3, as Brighton’s match ended. Then the news came that Sydenham had scored the last try and Lincoln was just happy to hang on for a 15-10 win. Lincoln University was trying to become the first club to win the Cup for four successive years; Sydenham had won a hat-trick of Cups starting in 1997.

After finishing runner-up to Lincoln for the last three years, Brighton deserved its first Cup win since 2010.

Pawson paid tribute to his leaders, among them the ageless No.8 Aaron McCoy, who scored three tries against Belfast, captain Billy Harmon, who missed most of the rounds through injury, evergreen hooker Marcel Cummings-Toone, and young halfback Reuben Spicer, who assumed the captaincy after Harmon’s injury.

Sydenham, University, Christchurch and Linwood will join New Brighton and Lincoln University in the top six.

In a bizarre match, University led Christchurch, 27-0, well into the second half before Christchurch stormed back with four converted tries to just go down, 28-30. Linwood also came with a wet sail to overrun High School Old Boys in the second half and beat that team for the last spot in the top six.

Marist Albion scored seven tries to ensure Burnside remained winless throughout the round-robin, while Sumner and Shirley racked up 96 points in another weird clash. Sumner scored at nearly a point a minute and led 58-0 with 14min to play. Then Shirley took it to a tiring defence and scored five tries in the final stanza.



At Lincoln: Lincoln University 15 (Nathan Clough 2 tries; Brett Cameron conv, pen) beat Sydenham 10 (Amanaki Nicole try; Mitch Hunt conv, pen). HT: 10-3. Referee: James Munro.

Sydenham went close to winning this match in injury time and afterwards Lincoln University coach John Haggart was quick to pay tribute to the challenge the visitors mounted.

In the hectic period at the death Haggart – in his customary position behind his side’s dead-ball line - told Jack Stratton to “take the match” as Lincoln were given a scrum feed close to their line. Only a little earlier he had urged the substitute halfback to open the game up from the same position.

Sydenham had several periods in the match pounding at Lincoln’s last-ditch defence but succeeded in cracking it only 8min from time when the side freed substitute wing Amanaki Nicole on the left.

Lincoln’s left wing Nathan Clough scored both his side’s tries, the first at 15min after Jack Goodhue figured twice in a long-range foray, building on a break from his own 22m line by Harrison Groundwater.

Clough popped up on the right wing in the third quarter to cross again as Sydenham’s defence across the park was stretched to breaking point.

At times, especially in the first half, Lincoln looked sharp, assured and dangerous but they could not sustain the effort. The main reason for that of course lay with Sydenham, who looked stronger as the game went on despite playing into the wind in the second half.

Scott Barrett started very strongly in the No.6 jersey for Lincoln, carrying with conviction, but came off at half-time under Crusader instructions. He did come back, at lock, near the end as Lincoln ran out of replacement options.

Props Chris Gawler and Joel Hintz were prominent on the charge when Lincoln were on a roll but the best forward, especially as the game wore on, was No.8 Hugo Nankivell, whose day was marred when he was left writhing in pain on the ground near the end. Nankivell’s ball-carrying in the second half was exactly what Lincoln needed after Barrett left the scene.

Sydenham captain Misi Lamositele, this time from No.8, was kept on a tight rein by Lincoln but he kept smashing into the tackles whenever he handled, which was often.

The man who wore the No.6 jersey, Matt James, had a big game all across the field while veteran lock Kalave Aualiitia was heavily involved, showing all of his nous.

Mitch Hunt, at fullback for the first half and first-five for the second, took on the defence almost every time he got the ball and went close to making some big busts, as did Milford Keresoma from the right wing.

Hawkins Medal (MVP): Hugo Nankivell (Lincoln University) 3, Matt James (Sydenham) 2, Chris Gawler (Lincoln University) 1.

Jim Doyle

Two tries in the last 25min carried Lincoln University to comfort and a 22-5 win over a spirited Belfast in the second-division curtain-raiser.

The first came from a Lincoln special, a driving maul from a lineout, and the second through the backs as they spun the ball wide at pace.

For Lincoln, No.8 Andrew Hull, lock Lewis Merchant and substitute hooker Alex Irvine shone in the forwards while Scott Willoughby, returning after injury, played well at fullback. Matt Hooper was solid in midfield.

Belfast players to stand out were first-five Keith Foster, who made a big break shortly after half-time, adventurous centre Brandon Anderson, counter-attacking fullback Nikora Jarvis, nippy halfback Jarrod Beaumont, and bullocking prop Alex Banks.



New Brighton v Belfast At Rawhiti Domain: New Brighton 72 (Aaron McCoy 3, Alisi Tupualei 2, Rhys Keith, Robbie Mulvena, Marcel Cummings-Toone, Billy Harmon, Zac Trusler, Oliver Jager, Brett Mather tries; Scott Davidson 5 conv; Mulvena conv) beat Belfast 12 (Jonty Connor, Oliver Marshall tries; Marshall conv). HT: 43-5. Referee: Scott Cunnold. Sin-bin: Will Stevens (Belfast).

The omens were against Belfast from the start.

The Cobras were without key loose forwards, Naibuka Tavenavo and Frank Havea, and had to make a late change. Then they had to play into the fresh north-easterly in the first half, battle a Brighton side hell-bent on taking maximum points, and lost a player to the sin-bin.

New Brighton was not about to show any mercy, however. The first try came after 2min and the scorer, second-five Rhys Keith, may not have had an easier one. He waltzed his way past four defenders while seemingly looking for someone to offload the ball.

After 22min Brighton had its bonus-point try when hooker Marcel Cummings-Toone forced his way for the fourth. Earlier lineout drives had brought tries to Robbie Mulvena and Aaron McCoy.

When Belfast had possession, it showed an ability to maintain the ball but found progress difficult against a wave of defenders, players making hard, low tackles and quickly regaining their feet to hit again.

Four tries came in the last 16min and Belfast got one of them. A rare foray inside the Brighton 22m brought a penalty for Belfast and it set up a 5m lineout. Lock Glen Kavanagh delivered the ball and flanker Jonty Connor was driven across, the try awarded after a consultation with the assistant referee.

Belfast never tossed in the towel in the second half, but still conceded five further tries with McCoy scoring his third and wing Alisi Tupailei bagging a brace. His second seemed an unfair contest. Tupualei, a man mountain, eyed up the last defender, pint-sized halfback Rhett Moore, and buried him as he crashed over.

Tupualei, however, was guilty of allowing Belfast a second try late in the game. Fullback Oliver Marshall stripped him of the ball and found himself in clear air.

New Brighton v BelfastIt was an impressive all-round Brighton performance but still provided the coaches with work-ons. Some lineout throws missed their mark and some passes were dropped with players not under pressure. Goal-kicker Scott Davidson slotted five of 11 shots.

McCoy had a rampaging game, still charging and stealing lineout ball in the final minutes, while captain Billy Harmon made a pleasing return after a long injury break. Keith regularly broke the line and Tupualei after a quiet first half made a big impact in the second.

For Belfast, No.8 Ulaiasi Lawavou made some inroads with high-stepping runs, Connor defended his patch vigorously and Marshall kicked well for the line and took his try cleverly.

Hawkins MVP: Aaron McCoy (New Brighton) 3, Rhys Keith (New Brighton) 1, Robbie Mulvena (New Brighton) 1.

Bob Schumacher

New Brighton’s unblemished record in division two continued with the seasiders recording their 11th successive victory with Sydenham on the receiving end of a 49-19 loss in the curtain-raiser. New Brighton led at the break, 24-19.

It was tit-for-tat try-scoring in the first 25min, both teams scoring three tries and the scores being level at 19-all. But Sydenham conceded a late try from a 5m scrum and then had to face the north-easterly in the second half.

After some stern words from the coaches, Brighton was a more assertive and controlled side in the second spell, keeping Sydenham penned in their half. Three further tries, two conversions, and two penalty goals garnered 25 more points for the home team while Sydenham was kept scoreless.

Replacement prop Matt Burnside’s try after 62min typified Brighton’s resolve. He was on the ground nursing a shoulder injury when Brighton moved the ball to the short side. He was the only player there so climbed to his feet, accepted the pass, and bulldozed over.

Loose forwards Nick Fowler, Nathan Donoghue and Jerome Pou all made solid contributions to Brighton’s win while hooker Ollie Gilkinson would have had a bulging wallet if paid for all the metres made taking up the ball. Centre-wing Lee Foreman scored twice and was a powerful runner.

Fullback Jimmy Lim was dangerous on the counter-attack for Sydenham and wing Jack Payne an incisive runner. Flanker Philippe Rosa and lock Matt Bateman supplied good lineout ball and made some good metres going forward.



At Chch Park: University 30 (Gaius Reweti, Finlay Christie, Connor O’Leary tries; Marty McKenzie 3 conv, 2 pen; Brad Hemopo pen) beat Christchurch 28 (Inga Finau 2, Ethan Plaskett, Brad Tucker tries; Cam Bailey 4 conv). HT: 10-0. Referee: Liam Scanlon. Sin-bin: Chris Mason, Matt Etheredge (Chch), Brad Hemopo, Marty McKenzie (University).

With both sides starting the game equal 4th with 35 points and guaranteed a top six finish there was little else at stake other than bragging rights.

What unfolded was a thriller with both sides playing with intensity and passion befitting a final.

University wheeled out their big guns in the form of Crusaders Marty McKenzie, Jone Macilai and Jimmy Tupou while Christchurch had prop Tim Perry in their side.

After a tame first half Varsity started the second with a brilliant try to halfback Finlay Christie and were starting to dominate the game, establishing a 27-0 lead after 50min. At this point both sides made wholesale changes from the bench from which the home side benefited the most.

A transformation saw them run in four converted tries and with their supporters behind them they finished with all the momentum. It was a relieved students’ side that scrambled home 30-28 at the final whistle.

Both side’s defensive screens nullified attacking efforts in the first half with the students 10-0 lead coming from a try to prop Gaius Reweti, who burrowed over after 15min from a sustained attacking effort, and the boot of McKenzie.

The visitors injected life into the game from the restart when McKenzie fielded a clearing kick and offloaded to Christie who embarked on brilliant 50m run to score.

Varsity continued to apply the pressure and replacement hooker Connor O'Leary was over after 50min following a quickly-taken tap penalty 5m from the line. With the aid of the McKenzie boot the visitors seemingly had the game under control at 27-0 before the home side staged its fight back.

It was started by second-five Inga Finau with the first of his two touch-downs when he easily sliced through the defence to score after 55min. This was quickly followed with replacement Ethan Plaskett at the forefront of a forward drive to the line following a good lineout win and suddenly the home side were back in the game.

Another forward effort saw lock Brad Tucker over before a timely penalty from McKenzie gave University a much needed buffer.

Christchurch piled on the pressure and were rewarded when Finau crossed for his second and with Cam Bailey adding his fourth conversion the lead was reduced to two. However, try as they might the home side were unable to add any further points in the final minutes.

McKenzie played a key role always looking to initiate attacks from all parts of the field but did take some gloss off his effort with a spell in the sin-bin. Fellow Crusader Macilai, playing at centre, was eager for work but in the main well contained by the opposition.

Christie continued his good season form exploiting any gaps in the defence. Tupou was to the fore with some strong ball carries in midfield and No.8 Sam Goodwin was strong on the burst.

Finau was a potent attacking force for Christchurch and able to part the defence with ease when scoring opportunities were presented. No.8 Tui Mika was strong off the back of the scrum and also a good lineout option, while lock Brad Tucker was buried in the thick of what was a strong second-half effort from the red-and-black forwards.

Hawkins MVP: Finlay Christie (University) 3, Inga Finau (Chch) 2, Marty McKenzie (University) 1.

Stewart Taylor

The curtain-raiser saw the two unbeaten teams in the women’s division square off with Christchurch running out comfortable winners, 43-21, over University and in the process lift the Challenge Shield.

Ahead 17-7 at the break, the home side put their foot to the floor running in four second-half tries in what was a game played at pace with high skill levels from both sides.

Centre Lucy Anderson gave Christchurch some domination in midfield where her strong running saw her rewarded with two tries. First-five Tara Horsnell impressed with her goal-kicking and strong punting of the ball. In a cohesive forward pack, prop Steph Fox was strong in the tight and flanker Stella Uren prominent making metres in the loose with her ball carries.

Halfback and Black Fern Kendra Cocksedge cleared the ball well and tried hard to inspire her Varsity side with her option-taking. Flanker Whitney Hansen, playing her 100th game, was strong on defence ensuring the Hansen family name was to the fore. Both locks Fiona Wright and Rebecca Prattley had strong games buried in the tight.



At Rugby Park: Marist Albion 45 (Paddy Kelly 3, Chris Crichton 2, Rowan O’Gorman, Robbie Harlow tries; Tom Reekie 3 conv; Chris Leader 2 conv) beat Burnside 10 (Rowland Kotobalavu, Hayden Webber tries). HT: 7-5. Referee: Sheldon Eden-Whaitiri.

Marist Albion got its act together in the second half and gained a bonus point, scoring six tries as it dealt Burnside a (7 tries to 2) lesson in straight hard running at defenders.

A forgettable first 40min, with little continuity and structure, plenty of lateral running and loads of errors had the score, 0-0, after 34min.

Up to this point Marist Albion had threatened the Burnside line three times only to lose these opportunities through lack of patience and madcap decision making. Captain Ross Kennedy was exhorting his troops to remember structure and support but the message definitely didn’t get through as people did their own thing.

A typical example came 16min in when two Marist Albion players, with 13 of their mates in front of them and most of Burnside opponents in between, decided to have a quick throw in on their 22m line. The result was an attacking scrum to Burnside.

Burnside competed well through the good work of Mitch Cooke at the breakdown, some strong take ups by Phil Henderson and Sam Prosser and the nippy efforts of halfback James Logan around the fringes.

They scored first after a clearance by Logan from the back of a poor scrum effort presented Rowland Kotobalavu with space for a 35m individual try.

Replacement Rowan O’Gorman, who was lurking out in a backline movement, received the ball and sliced through to score beside the sticks. Chris Leader converted and Marist Albion had a 7-5 lead at half-time.

The restart began with a Marist Albion mistake when the ball was kicked out on the full giving Burnside a scrum opportunity. However, that was really the end of it for them.

Whatever the coaches said to their players at half-time got through and Marist Albion took control.  Punishing running asked questions of the Burnside defence all over the park and they had no real answers.

Paddy Kelly scored the first of his three tries in the 46thmin, followed 4min later by his second as Burnside started to fall off tackles. Leader converted for a 19-5 lead.

After 62min, Chris Crichton came into the line 40m out, spilt the defence on the short side, passed to Des Spooner, who drew defenders and in-passed for Crichton to score. Tom Reekie converted.

In the final 15min, Marist Albion scored three more tries, two converted by Reekie. Kelly grabbed his third after a 50m solo run, replacement Robbie Harlow crashed over and Crichton got his second. 

Hayden Webber scored a consolation try for Burnside in referee’s time.

Marist Albion players who featured positively were Kelly and Crichton for their finishing. Charlie Gamble was fiercely competitive at the breakdown and in support, and O’Gorman brought structure and direction.

For Burnside, Kotobalavu tested his opposites with powerful runs, Murphy stood up to his defensive demands, Cooke scrapped effectively at the breakdown, and Phil Henderson secured some clean lineout ball.

Hawkins MVP: Paddy Kelly (Marist Albion) 3, Charlie Gamble (Marist Albion) 2, Chris Crichton (Marist Albion) 1.

Paddy Brandon

No curtain-raiser was played.



At Linfield 1: Linwood 30 (Martin Solofua, Rob Thompson, Maia Gibbs, Kalavini Leatigaga tries; Zac Southen 2 conv, 2 pen) beat High School Old Boys 23 (Jarred Percival, Joe Taylor tries; Percival 2 conv, 3 pen) HT: 14-20. Referee: Carl Johnson. Sin-bin: Jarred Percival (HSOB), Louis Devery (Linwood).

A rousing second-half comeback helped Linwood secure their spot in the top six and in the process consign opponents, High School Old Boys, to seventh position.

Entering this crunch round 11 clash with a vastly inferior points differential, Linwood needed to win to leapfrog HSOB and throughout the majority of the first half a win looked like a pipe-dream with Old Boys dominant from the opening whistle.

After receiving a penalty, HSOB opted for an early lineout inside Linwood’s red zone and they didn’t come away empty-handed despite Linwood successfully competing and winning the lineout.

Aayden Clarke’s clearance kick was charged down by hard-working flanker Tom Stanley which gifted the opening try to Jarred Percival under the posts.

Linwood thought they had levelled when Kalavini Leatigaga crossed on a well worked set play minutes later but the try was ruled out due to obstruction.

HSOB made a statement at scrum time after 20min when they blew Linwood off their own feed and spread the ball left where wing Joe Taylor made a burst down the sideline before passing to Reed Prinsep, who was tackled just short of the try-line.

One phase later the ball was spread back to Taylor on the blindside and he touched down to give his side a 14-0 lead after Percival converted from out wide.

For all their territorial dominance and the threat they were relentlessly posing to Linwood’s defence, it was surprising HSOB weren’t further in front and they were punished for it when strong-running halfback Martin Solofua scored Linwood’s first try after finding space from a lineout 10m out.

Old Boys were shell-shocked again 2min later when Rob Thompson pounced on an errant Percival pass to run 80m to score and lock up the scores before Percival redeemed himself of sorts, kicking two penalties to give HSOB a 20-14 lead at half-time.

Percival opened the second-half scoring with a long range penalty. Then the game changed dramatically when he was sin-binned for a ruck infringement with Linwood getting a roll on 5m out from Old Boys’ line.

Zac Southen kicked a penalty to close the margin to six before a bust by Louis Devery set up Maia Gibbs for Linwood’s third try to set up an interesting last 20min.

With Percival still cooling his heels, Linwood went for the kill. They had a touch of good fortune when they broke down the left and a kick ricocheted into the arms of Leatigaga, who finally had a bit of luck after having two tries disallowed earlier in the game.

Southen’s conversion missed but he added a penalty a few minutes later to give his side a seven-point lead with 10min left.

Despite hammering way for the last 5min on Linwood’s line and receiving a succession of penalties, which saw Devery sinbinned, HSOB were unable to find a way through to draw the game and Linwood were jubilant.

Thompson had a barnstorming game on his return from Super Rugby duty with the Highlanders. Against his old team, he had a number of strong bursts which got Linwood on the front foot and his intercept try was a crucial factor in helping to arrest HSOB’s early dominance.

Solofua was in everything for the hosts as he kept the pressure on with some strong darts around the fringes and an early chip-and-chase had Old Boys scrambling. His try after 30min was well deserved.

Others to impress for Linwood were Leatigaga, who scored one try and had two ruled out for obstruction and a forward pass.

Front- rowers Pita Anae-Ah Sue and Mike Alaalatoa had a number of strong carries with Alaalatoa’s offload to Anae-Ah Sue, which saw the hooker go close to scoring, a highlight midway through the second half.

For HSOB, wing Joe Taylor had a strong game, scoring one try and he made a strong incision through Linwood’s midfield in the second half which almost led to a try to Angus Blair out wide but the ball was just out of reach.

Hawkins Medal (MVP): Rob Thompson (Linwood) 3, Martin Solofua (Linwood) 2, Joe Taylor (HSOB) 1.

Anthony Morgan

University came from behind to secure a 27-15 win in the premier colts curtain-raiser over Linwood.

After Linwood held the early running, University finished over the top of them, scoring the last three tries through Kyle Bosselmann, Cullen Simpson and Matt Little.

The ability to control territory was pivotal for University for most of the second half as Linwood were consistently defending or working the ball out from their own 22m.

Bosselmann was a standout with some strong carries and was solid on defence.



At St Leonard’s Square: Sumner 65 (Nik Cumming 2, Ross McCann 2, Nathan Earle 2, Dylan Nel, Poasa Waqanibau, Gus Jones, Lawrence Babe tries; Cumming 5 conv, pen; Isaac Hydleman conv) beat Shirley 31 (Siua Maile 2, Brandon Fanolua 2, Sean Wainui tries; Nathan Smith 3 conv). HT: 41-0. Referee: Kane McBride.

For three quarters of the match Shirley were humbled by a rampant and dominant Sumner who were scoring at almost a point a minute to lead 58-0.

But the end result was to throw up a bizarre score-line of 65-31 where Shirley earned themselves a bonus point, courtesy of scoring five tries in the final 14min against a tiring Sumner defence, which also managed a try of their own in that period.

Shirley couldn’t get out of their own half for the first quarter, in which time Sumner had crossed the visitor’s try-line four times through No.8 Dylan Nel, after 1min, first-five Nik Cumming, after 14min, and wing Ross McCann, on 16min and 20min, for a 22-0 lead.

Shirley could do nothing right. When they had the ball they turned it over and their defence was like a bottomless colander for the entire half, unable to stop anything. Shirley conceded further tries to centre Poasa Waqanibau and Cumming again before the break, for a 41-0 score-line.

Nel, Waqanibau and wing Nathan Earle were in totally dynamic form making huge inroads into Shirley territory every time they had the ball in hand and causing havoc in Shirley’s defence, such as it was.

It was more of the same for Sumner from the restart, Shirley’s half-time rev up having no effect and the defensive screens proving no more try resistant than earlier, leaking further touch-downs to Earle, twice, as he continued to carve holes, and flanker Gus Jones. who barged his way down the left wing bumping off defenders from 30m out and scoring jubilantly.

For the last 15min, the advent of Shirley’s young reserve players suddenly opened up holes in Sumner’s previously impervious defence and they took the chances offered.

Young Siua Maile opened Shirley’s account after some fine work by wing Brandon Fanolua.

Sumner replied immediately with their final score to veteran lock Lawrence Babe, who dived through a maul.

Shirley’s throw caution to the wind approach began to pay dividends as they hung onto the ball, and led by some crunching runs by Tawhiri Wharehinga and George Akerei, they punched through Sumner’s tiring defenders with four tries in the last 10min.

Sumner’s total dominance for all but the final few minutes was led by the tireless Nel up front. Backs Waqanibau, Earle and McCann broke countless tackles and Cumming distributed and kicked well.

For Shirley, Fanolua had a strong match and Maile and Wainui, for the short time they were on, impressed. Stalwarts Hayden Mitchell, No.8 Jud Robbins, in his 50th match, and hooker Matt McLachlan were not at their usual standard.

Hawkins MVP: Dylan Nel (Sumner) 3, Poasa Waqanibau (Sumner) 2, Nathan Earle (Sumner) 1.

Donn Leckie

The division two curtain-raiser between Sumner and Burnside looked at the start to be a Sumner benefit after they raced out to a 17-0 lead after half an hour, with tries to first five Isaac Hydleman, wing Callum Wisbey and prop Louis Aileone.

Burnside reduced the deficit after Sumner were reduced to 14 from a sin-binning, Ed Elia opening their scoring.

Big Sumner centre Tufuga Sa increased the home team’s lead soon after the break striding through some poor tackles, but the visitors second-five Seb Curry soon countered that with his try.

Burnside were down to 14 men for the bulk of the second stanza when prop Ryan Lee was sent off after a scuffle. This seemed to inspire the candy stripers and Sumner began to self-destruct on the back of a heavy penalty count.

A Burnside break after a turnover saw lock Konrad Williams put prop Sam Campbell in beside the posts on 53min, and on 74min Burnside caught Sumner asleep close to their line, and with the benefit of a four-man overlap, flanker Dan Clarke scored wide out.

First-five Willie Brown’s conversion gave the visitors their first lead which they held for a 26-24 win.


Hawkins Logo


Hawkins Leaderboards

163: Jarred Percival (HSOB)
131: Nik Cumming (Sumner)
89: Scott Davidson (New Brighton)
86: Kieran Lindsay (Sydenham)
82: Zac Southen (Linwood)
80: Brett Cameron (LU)
76: Cam Bailey (Chch)
71: Brad Hemopo (University), Marty McKenzie (University)
62: Jordie Barrett (LU)
8: Aaron McCoy (New Brighton)
7: Brad Hemopo (University), Inga Finau (Chch), Jarred Percival (HSOB), Kalavini Leatigaga (Linwood), Amanaki Nicole (Sydenham)
6: Chris Crichton (Marist Albion), Zac Trusler (New Brighton), Nik Cumming (Sumner), Misi Lamositele (Sydenham)
5: Tafesilafai Maafi (Burnside), Hamish Kilpatrick (Chch), George Bridge (HSOB), Josh McKay (LU), Rowan O’Gorman (Marist Albion), Henare Faithfull (New Brighton), Ross McCann (Sumner), Jordan Stone (Sydenham), Matt James (Sydenham), Milford Keresoma (Sydenham), Marty McKenzie (University), Isaac Leota (University), Finlay Christie (University)
15: Finlay Christie (University)
12: Jack Stratton (LU)
10: Misi Lamositele (Sydenham)
9: Frank Havea (Belfast), Hugo Nankivell (LU), Aaron McCoy (New Brighton), Inga Finau (Chch)
8: Jarred Percival (HSOB)
7: Lawrence Babe (Sumner), Marty McKenzie (University)
6: Amanaki Nicole (Sydenham), Brett Cameron (LU), Ross Kennedy (Marist Albion), Louis Harmon (New Brighton), Phil Watson (Shirley), Matt Etheredge (Chch), Kieran Lindsay (Sydenham), Matt James (Sydenham)


Points as at 11th June

Team Played Wins Draws Losses Defaults Bonus For Against F/A Points
New Brighton Div 1 11 9 0 2 0 9 381 184 197 45
Lincoln University Div 1 11 8 1 2 0 10 396 199 197 44
Sydenham Div 1 11 8 0 3 0 7 370 172 198 39
University Div 1 11 8 0 3 0 7 349 215 134 39
Christchurch Div 1 11 7 0 4 0 9 327 199 128 37
Linwood Div 1 11 6 1 4 0 7 281 309 -28 33
HSOB Div 1 11 6 0 5 0 5 326 269 57 29
Marist Albion Div 1 11 5 0 6 0 5 288 337 -49 25
Sumner Div 1 11 4 0 7 0 5 300 295 5 21
Shirley Div 1 11 2 0 9 0 6 200 348 -148 14
Belfast Div 1 11 2 0 9 0 3 144 588 -444 11
Burnside Div 1 11 0 0 11 0 2 165 412 -247 2

Other Results


Challenge Shield Match - Lincoln University Retain

Lincoln University 22 v. Belfast 5, Lyttelton 0 v. Linwood 12, University 14 v. HSOB 31, New Brighton 49 v. Sydenham 19, Marist Albion 31 v. Shirley 10, Christchurch 37 v. Suburbs 0, Sumner 24 v. Burnside 26;



Challenge Shield Match - Marist Albion Retain

Marist Albion 30 v. HSOB 8, New Brighton 17 v. Burnside 31, Belfast 0 v. Lincoln University 62, Christchurch 100 v. Shirley 0, Linwood 15 v. University 27, Sydenham bye;



Challenge Shield Match - Marist Albion Beacons Retain

Marist Albion Beacons 13 v. Burnside 0, Otautahi 21 v. HSOB 57, Suburbs v. University, no result received, Christchurch 57 v. Marist Albion 7;



Challenge Shield Match – Lincoln University Win

Burnside 5 v. Lincoln University 26, Linwood v. Christchurch, Christchurch Win by Default, Marist Albion v. New Brighton, Marist Albion Win by Default, Sumner v. CBHS 2nd XV, no result received, Merivale Papanui 20 v. University 27, Ashley 19 v. HSOB 15, Glenmark-Cheviot bye;



Challenge Shield Match – Lyttelton Win

Lyttelton 24 v. Suburbs S 12, Suburbs Div 3 7 v. Belfast 24, Marist Albion 43 v. Shirley W 7, New Brighton bye;



Challenge Shield Match – Sumner S Win

Sumner S 22 v. Linwood B 12, Belfast M 22 v. Sydenham S 21, Burnside Div 4 12 v. HSOB K 71, Shirley Div 4 14 v. Christchurch C 27;



Challenge Shield Match – Christchurch Win

Christchurch 43 v. University 21, Linwood 7 v. Lincoln 59, HSOB 12 v. Suburbs 27, Burn/Duns/Irwell 17 v. Sydenham 38, Marist Albion 15 v. Burnside 36, Kaiapoi bye;



Christs College 41 v. Waimea Combined 5, Burnside HS 22 v. Nelson College 17, Roncalli College 7 v. St Thomas 65, Ashburton College 12 v. St Bedes College 37, Marlborough B C 37 v. Lincoln HS 3, Shirley BHS 29 v. Rangiora HS 0, Christchurch BHS bye;

Tuesday, 14 June 2016

St Andrew's College v. Timaru BHS, 1.00pm STAC 3;


Site by Orbital Ltd