SBS Bank Hawkins

Game Day - Week 12

19 Jun 2016

Metro Logo Hawkins Logo SATURDAY 18th JUNE 2016

SCORES.-Section one: New Brighton 29 Sydenham 26; Christchurch 30 Linwood 16; University 31 Lincoln University 25. Section two: Sumner 59 Burnside 14; HSOB 30 Belfast 19; Marist Albion 43 Shirley 22.



University upset the form book with an incredible come-from-behind win against Hawkins Trophy holder Lincoln University in the first of the section round-robin play-offs in the Metro Division One competition on Saturday.

When the two universities clashed in the Cup round, Lincoln University routed their Canterbury counterparts, scoring seven tries in the 44-17 victory. That looked on the cards again when Lincoln kicked out to a 22-5 lead after 25min.

A turning point came on the call of half-time. Lincoln took a quick throw-in but University rushed up in defence, forced a turnover, and a kick ahead resulted in a University try. Four minutes after the interval, University scored from a driving maul and all the momentum stayed with the town students.

Hawkins Medal Most Valuable Player leader, University halfback Finlay Christie, again featured both on attack and in defence and he has opened up a six-point buffer on his nearest rivals, Lincoln halfback Jack Stratton and New Brighton No.8 Aaron McCoy, in the race for the medal.

The other five division one games all followed the pattern of the Cup round, with New Brighton, Christchurch, Sumner, High School Old Boys and Marist Albion repeating their first-round wins over Sydenham, Linwood, Burnside, Belfast and Shirley, respectively.

Newly crowned Hawkins Cup champion New Brighton just prevailed over an equally combative and passionate Sydenham, both teams scoring three tries and the difference being a 70th minute penalty goal by Brighton first-five Scott Davidson.

Brighton kept Sydenham penned in its territory for the last 5min to ensure the Cardinals were unable to celebrate their club day with a victory. Sydenham, as did Lincoln, earned a bonus point which could prove telling later in the competition.

In the other top six clash, Linwood failed to get a bonus point, scoring just one try and finishing 14 points adrift of Christchurch which claimed the bonus-point for four tries.

Sumner No.8 Dylan Nel was in dynamic form, scoring three tries in his team’s emphatic win over winless Burnside, and Marist Albion, ahead 26-3 at half-time, won comfortably against Shirley which did strike back with three break-out tries in the second half.

Belfast deserved credit for its gritty performance against High School Old Boys. In their Cup contest, Old Boys won, 87-10, but Belfast never allowed a repeat of that and was only a point in deficit.

It was not until well in the second half that Old Boys, who scored three tries as did Belfast, have the match in safe-keeping and that was largely through the astute tactical and goal-kicking of first-five Jarred Percival.

Percival leads he season’s points-scoring with 178, 33 ahead of Sumner first-five Nik Cummings and 75 clear of Brighton’s Scott Davidson, who became the third player to reach his century of points.

The try-scoring contest remains extremely close with four players on eight tries and another six with six.



At Sydenham Park: New Brighton 29 (Stefan Moir 2, Brett Mather tries; Scott Davidson conv, 4 pen) beat Sydenham 26 (Milford Keresoma 2, Amanaki Nicole tries; Kieran Lindsay conv, 3 pen). HT: 14-11. Referee: James Munro.

New Brighton prevailed in a gripping battle of physical strength and mental toughness over a Sydenham side that wasn’t about to `bend the knee’ to anyone on their club day. 

Both sides scored three tries and a conversion with the vital difference being that the visitors got one more kickable penalty. However, Sydenham did collect a valuable bonus point.

After 80min of action that you would expect of two teams with their eye on the end of season crown, the vital statistics were fairly even.

The lead changed three times and the match was deadlocked on the scoreboard on four occasions.  Territory and possession were shared equally and there was only one difference in the penalty count.

The first 40min were extremely intense with forced errors due to pressure from both sides on ball-carriers and in-your-face offensive defence. The breakdown was also hotly contested with Aaron McCoy and Misi Lamositele featuring for their respective sides. This created a stop-start affair with little continuity beyond a few phases.

In the first quarter, Kieran Lindsay and Scott Davidson kicked two penalties apiece to lock the score at six-all.

Milford Keresoma bagged a try for Sydenham in the 32ndmin giving them a five-point lead. Davidson replied with a penalty and the gap was two.

In the 33rdmin, New Brighton created an individual try from a fairly innocuous incursion into the line by fullback Stefan Moir. From 35m out, he ran across field, skirted the home defence on the right, and brushed of the last tackle to score.

The break came with the visitors ahead, 14-11, and the game squarely in the balance.

The second half took up where the first left off with passion and commitment from both sides.

In the 47thmin, New Brighton was awarded a penalty in the shadow of the Sydenham posts.  The home team, appearing to anticipate a shot at goal, relaxed.  Instead the visitors tapped and Brett Mather scuttled in beside the uprights for Davidson to convert.

Stung, the Cardinals came storming back from the restart with possibly their best bit of continuity and structure. Gaining the ball on halfway, they moved right, recycled left at the contact, then switched right.

After many palm-prints, Keresoma got his second try. Lindsay converted and Sydenham were only three adrift. Lindsay locked it up, 21-all, with a penalty 7min later.

Then man mountain Alisi Tupualei fielded a Sydenham clearing kick 10m in his territory.  Swatting off the first tackle, he breached the cover defence running 50m to draw the last defender and set Moir up for his second try.

Sydenham weren’t done, however. A visitor’s error allowed them to move the ball quickly right and Amanaki Nicole wound up to score a deserved 60m solo try which tied the score at 26-26.

Davidson kicked his fourth penalty in the 70thmin to give the seasiders a lead they retained until the finish. The final 10min were hotly contested as bench players provided fresh legs with no drop off in passion by either side.

Sydenham had their chances, but lack of patience and errors at vital times cost them. The final vital feature was that the last 5min was played deep in home territory denying Sydenham any penalty shots that might have squared it up.

Forced to create things from 80m proved too big a challenge and New Brighton won, retaining the DCL Shield, after a great game played in a positive, clean, yet uncompromising spirit.

New Brighton standouts in a team effort were McCoy, Billy Harmon, Zac Trusler, Moir and `on song’ goal-kicker Davidson.

Sydenham players of note were Keresoma, Nicole, Morgan Innes, Lindsay and Lamositele.

Hawkins MVP: Aaron McCoy (New Brighton) 3, Milford Keresoma (Sydenham) 2, Misi Lamositele (Sydenham) 1.

Paddy Brandon

In the division two curtain- raiser between Sydenham and Lyttelton, the visitors, after being down 17-12 at half-time, scored 20 unanswered points in the second half to defeat Sydenham, 32-17.

For the second week in a row, Sydenham disappointed their supporters after a first 40min in which they appeared to be taking control of proceedings. Again they failed to kick on in the second.

Visiting Brisbane referee, Andrew Twist, applied a common sense approach to law application allowing the players to express themselves in a match played in very good spirit.

The second-half momentum shift permitted Lyttelton to set a platform for a deserved win, whilst Sydenham appeared to lose their way by trying to force things, lack of patience, and over ambition.

Lyttelton players who had a positive impact were No.8 Tim Hunter, flanker Campbell Stewart and wing Ben Corston.

Sydenham hooker Leo Payo, former division one lock Matt Bateman, and fullback Jimmy Lim stood out in a losing cause.



At Christchurch Park: Christchurch 30 (Simon Forrest, Tim Perry, Tui Mika, Daniel Koster tries; Matt Thatcher 2 conv, pen; Matt Kottier dg) beat Linwood 16 (Tyler Hansen-Kini try; Aayden Clarke conv, 3 pen). HT: 13-6. Referee: Blair Barclay.

Christchurch had the upfront nous and skill to put Linwood away, tacking on the bonus point for good measure and taking a dropped goal in the last second to put the icing on.

Three of the home side’s tries came from combined forward surges, the fourth going to Daniel Koster when the centre suddenly shot away from a melee 22m out after 55min.

Linwood had needed something to spark them and it finally came 5min before Koster’s try when second-five Louis Devery made a big break that put the forwards into siege mode. Before long, Tyler Hansen-Kini barreled his way across.

The loosehead prop went into a near frenzy with his ball-carrying in the dying stages while the combative Martin Solofua, who shifted from halfback to the midfield near the end, also gave it his darnedest with ball in hand. But it was all too little too late.

To add to Linwood’s woes, Christchurch made a big mess of their scrum in the last quarter as loosehead prop Tim Perry harnessed the power of the men beside him and behind him.

William Mills led the Christchurch pack well with his trademark ball-carrying while flanker Matt Etheredge went the distance with distinction in his 50th outing.

Mills’s locking partner, Brad Tucker, made one huge run from 40m out in the first half and looked set to score. But he may have hesitated a fraction just short of the line and was dragged down from behind.

No.8 Tui Mika played an influential role for the home side and Angus Middleton bristled with aggression in his 50min on the park.

Inga Finau was dangerous in midfield for Christchurch without quite being able to completely crack the defence on his own or slip other runners away. But he gave it his best shot either way.

In the Linwood pack, No.6 Jordan Stewart had a big game. Paul Garner, while lacking a little in height for a lock, performed his core duties well and stood out with his ball-carrying and tackling.

Devery, once he got going, posed a danger in the backline. Linwood might consider partnering him with Solofua, who also tackled ferociously, on a permanent basis in midfield, leaving the capable Maia Gibbs to handle the halfback duties.

Hawkins Medal MVP: Matt Etheredge (Christchurch) 3, William Mills (Christchurch) 2, Jordan Stewart (Linwood) 1.

Jim Doyle

Christchurch didn’t have it all their own way in beating Sumner, 35-22, in the second-division curtain-raiser but they had a fair piece of it.

The home side had two useful wings in Leo Lafai, on the left, and Elliot Scott, older brother of first-division player Fraser Scott. Lafai showed acceleration and step while Scott’s outright pace brought him two tries.

Other players to shine for Christchurch were No.7 Logan Allen and bullocking prop Travis Moody.

For Sumner, lock Matt Paulden and prop Liu Aielone had strong games. Substitute hooker Jesse Goodger was credited with taking two tightheads in the second half as Christchurch were a little embarrassed in the scrums.



Univ v Lincoln Uni At Rugby Park: University 31 (Brad Hemopo, Braydon Ennor, Morgyn Cowan, Rob Sullivan, Tana Luke tries; Brad Hemopo 3 conv) beat Lincoln University 25 (Luke McKenna, Josh McKay, Harrison Groundwater tries; Brett Cameron 2 conv, pen; Ere Enari pen). HT: 12-22. Referee: K Hancox.

In the battle of the universities, Canterbury University staged a remarkable turnaround to come from behind to beat Lincoln University.

Down 22-5 after 25min, University turned the tables on Lincoln, scoring 26 unanswered points to close out the match.

Lincoln had got off to a flying start, scoring two long-range tries to race out to a 12-0 lead.

The first try was scored by openside flanker Luke McKenna following a clearing kick from University which failed to find touch 60m out. Lincoln showed great support play to keep the ball alive, and McKenna was on hand to finish off the move.

Lincoln fullback Josh McKay scored the second try, which resulted from a lineout steal inside Lincoln territory. Spreading the ball wide right and then back to the left – Lincoln created a hole in the University defence that McKay was able to exploit to dot down under the posts. 

University struck back through a try to No.8 Brad Hemopo, but the respite would be short-lived.

Terrible defence from University lead to Lincoln’s third try, with second-five Harrison Groundwater bouncing off some feeble tackles to cancel out the previous score.

When first-five Brett Cameron knocked over a penalty to extend the lead to 22-5 after 25min, Lincoln appeared to be well in control of the game, and were pushing for the knock-out blow to seal the match.

Two minutes later it looked like Lincoln were about to score again after a set move from a lineout. However, a huge try-saving tackle from University halfback Finlay Christie stopped the attack’s momentum and led to a turnover.

Lincoln had another opportunity to put the game away on the 37min mark, but Cameron knocked the ball on while making a lunge for the try-line.

Just before the half-time break, Lincoln had one last crack at the University defence, launching a counter-attack from a quick throw-in.

This attack proved to be a costly mistake though, with University rushing up quickly and forcing a turnover. A chip-and-chase from the ruck caught Lincoln on the hop, with centre Braydon Ennor outpacing the cover defence to race over and score.

University started the second half strongly, with openside flanker Morgyn Cowan scoring from a driving maul on 44min. All of a sudden, Lincoln’s lead had closed to 22-17 and the momentum had swung towards University.

Over the next 20min, University began to take control of the game, launching wave after wave of attack against the Lincoln goal-line. Lincoln, who had played with such confidence in the first half, seemed bereft of ideas and were unable to make any headway against an aggressive University defensive line.

Univ v Lincoln UniAfter 59min, the pressure eventually paid off for University, with first-five Rob Sullivan unlocking the Lincoln defence with a neat right-foot step to score under the posts.

With the conversion from Hemopo, University took the lead for the first time in the match, pushing ahead 24-22.

University completed the comeback 5min later with reserve prop Tana Luke barrelling over to score and put the game beyond Lincoln’s reach.

Halfback Christie was a standout for University. While a constant danger on attack with his passing and running, Christie made his mark on defence, pulling off a number of crucial covering tackles to stifle the Lincoln attack.

In the forwards, Hemopo provided go-forward ball off the back of the scrum, while lock Caleb Aperahama was also a workhorse with ball in hand.

For Lincoln, Cameron had a strong game, distributing well for his backline and controlling territory with the boot.

The loose forward trio worked hard all day, with Hugo Nankivell leading the charge with his direct running.

Hawkins MVP: Finlay Christie (University) 3, Brad Hemopo (University) 2, Caleb Aperahama (University) 1.

Tim Newman 

No curtain-raiser was played.



At St Leonard’s Square: Sumner 59 (Dylan Nel 3, Ross McCann 2, Tu’uta Simaile 2, Gus Jones, Reece McCaffrey tries; Nik Cumming 7 conv) beat Burnside 14 (James Logan, Hayden Webber tries; Luke Reihana conv, David Smith conv). HT: 33-7. Referee: Jamie Nutbrown.

Sumner No.8 Dylan Nel was subbed before the hour but not before he had caused havoc in the Burnside defence and had contributed a hat-trick of tries.

When he was pulled from the field, Sumner led, 47-7, and perhaps it was significant that for the last 23min Sumner managed just two further tries while conceding one.

Usually on the flank, Nel started at No.8 in place of his injured captain Josh Leszczuk and wasted no time in making his presence felt. Sumner did not get the fast start it wanted with Burnside halfback James Logan shrugging off a half-hearted high tackle and just having enough gas in the tank to run 45m to the try-line.

But 3min later the Burnside props contrived to drop the ball between them and after several phases, Nel strode through some weak tackle attempts to score under the cross-bar.

Almost from the restart, Sumner was in again, this time through right wing Ross McCann, the Scot intercepting 45m out and dotting down under the bar. Then 4min later Nel was across for his second after multiple phases finally wore down Burnside’s defence.

Sumner had its bonus-point after 20min after a tight-head and good handling put flanker
Gus Jones over and centre Reece McCaffrey scored the fifth 7min before the break after a big midfield bust which fullback Marshall Suckling supported, placing a kick ahead which bounced kindly for McCaffrey to finish the move he started.

It took Sumner only 4min of the second half to notch its sixth try and who else but Nel made the touchdown after a 5m scrum.

His departure after 57min and other regular replacements took some of the fluidity from the Sumner game and Burnside fullback Hayden Webber exposed a defensive shortcoming after 73min with a try in the corner.

Even so Sumner crossed for three more tries in the last half hour, two to Tu’uta Simaile, who started at hooker and finished as flanker, and a second for McCann, whose pace outdid the last line of defence.

While Nel stole the show, lock Lawrence Babe was superb in the lineouts and taking the kick-offs, tighthead prop Samuela Tawake anchored a dominant scrum, and feisty Simaile was all energy and enthusiasm. Tom Ziolo and Nic Cumming formed a reliable halves combination, first-five Cumming raking off much ground with raking clearing kicks.

Burnside flanker Mitch Cooke, who left at the same time as Nel, was effective at the breakdown and strong in the tackle, while lock Owen Murphy received pats on the back for holding up one Sumner drive on the line. The backline seldom threatened with too many passes either dropped or missing the mark.

Hawkins MVP: Dylan Nel (Sumner) 3, Lawrence Babe (Sumner) 2, Tu’uta Simaile (Sumner) 1.

Bob Schumacher

No curtain-raiser was played.



At Sheldon Park: High School Old Boys 30 (Harry Peeters 2, Will Hamilton tries; Jarred Percival 3 conv, 3 pen) beat Belfast 19 (Sione Vea, Frank Havea, Neori Vuidrketi tries; Oliver Marshall 2 conv). HT: 13-12. Referee: Sheldon Eden-Whaitiri. Sin-bin: Fili Veo’o (Belfast).

A much improved showing from Belfast over their last meeting with High School Old Boys reduced the end of match deficit from 77 to just 11.

It was a much more even encounter this time and Belfast were in with the sniff of an unlikely win with only 7min of regular time to play being only 12-16 down.

However, a couple of late tries to the men in white blew the score-line out and rather flattered the visitors.

Relying on their strengths up front,, particularly in the loose forwards, where openside Frank Havea, No.8 Naibuka Tavenavo and blindside Amenatave Tukana competed very successfully, and for the first half especially made life very uncomfortable for Old Boys.

The opening quarter was all Belfast as they capitalised on Old Boys errors and turnovers.

After camping in the visitors 22m for 5min and hammering away at the line, Belfast were justly rewarded with the first try on 11min when prop Sione Vea was driven across after some excellent work by the pack.

Just 5min later from a 22m lineout, an overthrown lob landed in Havea’s fingertips at the back and he ran through a bemused Old Boys defence to score easily.

From here Old Boys woke up and showed some flair, taking on the Belfast backs.

Regular halfback Harry Peeters, playing at second-five, looked very comfortable in the position. He used his size and strength to burst through several lack-lustre tackles after an interchange with first-five Jarred Percival, to open up Belfast and his team’ scoring.

He reprised the tactic at the end of the match to earn his double for the day.

Percival was the master of digging Old Boys out of trouble throughout the game, and his long raking touch-finders into open space regularly sent the home team back on defence.

And as Belfast began to infringe in the tight, Percival, the competition’s leading points scorer, nailed two penalties to edge his side in front at the break. He extended the lead to four with a further gift from in front on 51min.

The next 22min were an even tussle as Belfast took the game to Old Boys, but frequent penalty infringements were costly territorially as Percival cleared the danger.

The game looked to be out of danger for Old Boys on 73min when halfback Will Hamilton reached out in a tackle and was awarded a try after the referee had consulted his assistant. There was some debate by the nearby Belfast supporters as to the legitimacy of the try.

However, they were happier just a couple of minutes later when replacement back Neori Vuidrketi restored the four-point deficit as the home team surged back downfield with just 4min of regular time left.

This became 9min on referee’s time, but Belfast were unable to take advantage, whereas Old Boys did with Peeters’ second try in the 85th minute.

Old Boys were thankful Percival was on-song with his place and tactical kicking. Peeters was influential in the midfield, Hamilton a busy distributor, and locks James Naoupu and Angus Cameron were solid in the lineout and tight exchanges.

Belfast relied heavily on Havea, Tavenavo and Tukana, but they had great support from the tireless lock Luke Waller. Halfback Oliver Marshall was an eager combatant.

Hawkins MVP: Jarred Percival (HSOB) 3, Frank Havea (Belfast) 2, Harry Peeters(HSOB) 1.

Donn Leckie

The division two curtain-raiser between Belfast and Burnside was easily won Burnside, 44-20, which scored seven tries to two.

However, it was a very willing encounter with some huge hits being put in by both sides, eventually resulting in Burnside fullback Michael Jones being stretchered off with a suspected broken ankle after being hit hard in a double tackle early in the second half.

Burnside was always in charge with first half touchdowns to flanker Dan Clarke, first-five Willie Brown and right wing Michael Rasmussen, who was put clear on halfway by a lovely pop pass from left wing Motonu Yashahara.

Belfast clawed their way back into with a double strike to centre Matthew Jenkins 1min and 15min into the second stanza, the second coming after a neat Daniel Thomas pass. A third and final Belfast try was engineered by replacement first-five Keith Foster with 15min remaining.

Burnside ran away with it through tries to centre Louis Voisin, flankers Seb Curry and Kyle Burke, who won a race to a ball bouncing in goal, and the last, with time almost up, to the fleet-footed Yashahara who outflanked half the Belfast team in his 55m sprint down the left wing.

Replacement lock Tom McGregor injected some spirited action into the Burnside pack and bulky prop Karl Douglas rumbled through the forward exchanges with ball in hand.



At Burwood Park: Marist Albion 43 (Jake O’Connell 2, Chris Crichton 2, Charlie Gamble, Hayden O’Donnell, Famelo Magele tries; Tom Reekie 4 conv) beat Shirley 22 (Brandon Fanolua 2, Junior Taia tries; Nathan Smith 2 conv, pen) HT: 26-3. Referee: Liam Scanlon. Sin-bin: Jud Robbins (Shirley), Tsinga Kautai (Marist Albion).

Shirley stormed back with three break-out tries in a second-half comeback but ultimately left themselves too much to do as Marist Albion cruised to victory.

Marist Albion laid the foundation with a strong first half effort up front which kept Shirley firmly entrenched in their own half for most of the 40min.

It didn’t take long for them to net their first try when flanker Jake O’Connell dived over through a sliding defensive line after good ball retention got Marist on the front foot after a strong run by Tom Reekie.

After Shirley No.8 Jud Robbins was sin-binned for throwing the ball away, O’Connell helped himself to a second try in similar fashion to his first after Shirley made another error inside their own 22m.

Up 14-3 and with a man advantage, it wasn’t long before Marist Albion were on attack again and this time it was fullback Chris Crichton who took full advantage of the space in behind the defensive line as he chipped and regathered before a left foot step saw him evade the covering tackle of Liam Timoteo and score under the posts.

Crichton made it a double on the stroke of half-time when he dived over following a quick tap from 5m out which made it 26-3 after Reekie’s first missed conversion of the half.

Any hopes of a 50-point whitewash among Marist Albion supporters was quashed when Shirley came to life early in the second half.

Firstly their goal-line defence passed a stern examination with Marist pressing for a fifth try in the first 5min after half-time before they forced an error and broke up field.

A few phases later, Shirley centre Brandon Fanolua finished off a sweeping movement on the left to cut the margin to 18, before he was in again only minutes later when he broke through a couple of tackles to score in a similar position.

At 26-15, the momentum had firmly shifted and this was even more notable when Marist were forced into error hot on attack before Shirley flanker Siua Maile made his second 40m bust in the space of 5min before the ball was spread right to Junior Taia, who finished off out wide. Nathan Smith converted to cut it to four.

That was as good as it got for Shirley as Marist Albion were next to score when impressive flanker Charlie Gamble dived over in the corner after a sustained period of attack on Shirley’s line.

Despite losing Tsinga Kautai to the sin-bin, Marist had wrested the momentum back and played some of their best rugby in the 10min period where they were down a man.

Moments after Kautai’s dismissal, Marist’s pack got the shove on and were rewarded when replacement halfback Hayden O’Donnell stretched out to score, and they were in again when No.8 Famelo Magele was the beneficiary of a strong eight-man shove from a 5m scrum.

Gamble was in everything for Marist. Whether it be in the tight, where he was strong on defence and was a menace at the breakdown, or ranging wide which saw him score the vital match-turning try.

Crichton was electric at the back and his quick thinking at a crucial juncture of the first half helped him cross for two tries and his side out to a 23-point half-time lead.

O’Connell was another who impressed in a strong Marist Albion forward display. He scored the opening two tries and was strong at lineout time.

For Shirley, Fanolua was a standout. Not only did he score his side’s first two tries, but he was a regular metre eater throughout as he made a number of busts which went unrewarded, none more so than his 40m burst midway through the first half which was closely followed by an error by one of his team-mates.

Maile was another to impress with ball in hand for Shirley, but a lack of contributors and team errors ultimately saw their comeback fizzle out.

Hawkins MVP: Charlie Gamble (Marist Albion) 3, Chris Crichton (Marist Albion) 2, Brandon Fanolua (Shirley) 1.

Anthony Morgan

A late Fraser Bryant double helped University survive a huge scare as they held off Shirley, 45-31, in the division two curtain-raiser.

Leading 31-7 at half-time after four tries to Jonty Nesbitt and one to Jonty Duncan, University appeared to be in cruise control, but were made to work overtime for their win when Shirley scored three converted tries and a penalty to level, 31-all, with 12min to go.

After being starved of territory, University finally found themselves in Shirley’s half and took full control with Bryant slipping through some tired defence multiple times to seal the result.

Halfback Takumi Kawahara was a standout for University. He provided a number of good clearances to set his backline alight to score several tries in a game that was played at a really fast pace.

Wing Dan Hyndman was another who impressed in University’s victory.


Hawkins Logo


Hawkins Leaderboards




178: Jarred Percival (HSOB)
145: Nik Cumming (Sumner)
103: Scott Davidson (New Brighton)
97: Kieran Lindsay (Sydenham)
87: Brett Cameron (LU)
82: Zac Southen (Linwood), Brad Hemopo (University)
76: Cam Bailey (Chch)
71: Marty McKenzie (University)
62: Nathan Smith (Shirley), Jordie Barrett (LU)
8: Aaron McCoy (New Brighton), Amanaki Nicole (Sydenham), Chris Crichton (Marist Albion), Brad Hemopo (University)
7: Milford Keresoma (Sydenham), Dylan Nel (Sumner), Ross McCann (Sumner), Kalavini Leatigaga (Linwood), Inga Finau (Chch), Jarred Percival (HSOB)
6: Nik Cumming (Sumner), Zac Trusler (New Brighton), Misi Lamositele (Sydenham), Josh McKay (LU)
18: Finlay Christie (University)
12: Jack Stratton (LU), Aaron McCoy (New Brighton)
11: Misi Lamositele (Sydenham), Jarred Percival (HSOB), Frank Havea (Belfast)
9: Hugo Nankivell (LU), Inga Finau (Chch), Lawrence Babe (Sumner), Matt Etheredge (Chch)
7: Marty McKenzie (University), Milford Keresoma (Sydenham), Brad Hemopo (University)


Points as at 18th June

Division 1 Hawkins Division 1 - Section 1                    
Team Played Wins Draws Losses Defaults Bonus For Against F/A Points
Christchurch Div 1 1 1 0 0 0 1 30 16 14 5
University Div 1 1 1 0 0 0 1 31 25 6 5
New Brighton Div 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 29 26 3 4
Sydenham Div 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 26 29 -3 1
Lincoln University Div 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 25 31 -6 1
Linwood Div 1 1 0 0 1 0 0 16 30 -14 0
Division 1 Hawkins Division 1 - Section 2                    
Team Played Wins Draws Losses Defaults Bonus For Against F/A Points
Sumner Div 1 1 1 0 0 0 1 59 14 45 5
Marist Albion Div 1 1 1 0 0 0 1 43 22 21 5
HSOB Div 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 30 19 11 4
Belfast Div 1 1 0 0 1 0 0 19 30 -11 0
Shirley Div 1 1 0 0 1 0 0 22 43 -21 0
Burnside Div 1 1 0 0 1 0 0 14 59 -45 0


Other Results


Challenge Shield Match - Lincoln University Retain

Linwood 29 v. Lincoln University 31, Sydenham 17 v. Lyttelton 32, New Brighton 33 v. HSOB 31, Shirley 31 v. University 45, Suburbs 17 v. Marist Albion 31, Christchurch 35 v. Sumner 22, Belfast 20 v. Burnside 44;



Challenge Shield Match – Lincoln University Win

Marist Albion 6 v. Lincoln University 8, New Brighton 0 v. Christchurch 76, Sydenham 44 v. Burnside 0;


Shirley 30 v. University 27, Linwood 0 v. HSOB 41, Belfast bye;



Challenge Shield Match – HOSB Win

HSOB 35 v. Marist Albion Beacons 19, Christchurch 60 v. Otautahi 14, Marist Albion v. University, no result received, Burnside v. Suburbs, no result received;



Challenge Shield Match – Glenmark-Cheviot Win

Glenmark-Cheviot v. Lincoln University, Glenmark-Cheviot Win by Default, HSOB 19 v. CBHS 2nd XV 23, Burnside 20 v. Ashley 15, University v. Marist Albion, University Win by Default, Sumner v. Linwood, Sumner Win by Default, Christchurch v. New Brighton, Christchurch Win by Default, Merivale Papanui bye;



Challenge Shield Match – New Brighton Win

Lyttelton 19 v. New Brighton 36, Suburbs Div 3 0 v. Suburbs S 29, Belfast 20 v. Marist Albion 31, Shirley W bye;



Challenge Shield Match - Belfast M Retain

Belfast M 31 v. Christchurch C 17, Sydenham S 50 v. HSOB K 5, Sumner S 17 v. Shirley Div 4 19, Linwood B 78 v. Burnside Div 4 0;



Challenge Shield Match - Christchurch Retain

Sydenham 0 v. Christchurch 58, HSOB 25 v. University 33, Lincoln 12 v. Suburbs 62;


Marist Albion v. Kaiapoi, Marist Albion Win by Default, Burnside 12 v. Linwood 21, Burnham/Duns/Irwell bye;



St Andrew's College 14 v. Shirley BHS 27, Marlborough B C 18 v. Christs College 34, Ashburton College 29 v. Rangiora HS 26, Timaru BHS 3 v. Nelson College 18, Christchurch BHS 29 v. St Thomas 3, Burnside HS 37 v. Roncalli College 7, St Bedes College 34 v. Lincoln HS 3, Waimea Combined bye;


Site by Orbital Ltd