SBS Bank Hawkins

Game Day - Week 13

26 Jun 2016

Metro Logo Hawkins LogoSATURDAY 25th JUNE 2016

SCORES.-Section one: Christchurch 25 Lincoln University 11; New Brighton 43 Linwood 23; Sydenham 24 University 14. Section two: HSOB 34 Shirley 12; Marist Albion 29 Sumner 26; Belfast 23 Burnside 19.



Defending champion Lincoln University is under pressure to qualify for the Hawkins Trophy semi-finals are suffering a second straight loss in the top section of the Metro Division One championship on Saturday.

After surrendering a healthy lead and succumbing to University the previous week, Lincoln University was decisively beaten at home by last year’s runner-up Christchurch, a result more surprising considering that Lincoln had overwhelmed Christchurch, 44-10, when they clashed in the opening Cup round.

Christchurch used its renowned strength in the driving maul to score three of its five tries and while none were converted Christchurch didn’t need to rely on goal-kicking as it restricted Lincoln to just one try and two penalty goals.

Christchurch and Hawkins Cup title-holder New Brighton are the two unbeaten teams with three rounds to be played in section one before the semi-finalists are found.

New Brighton No.8 Aaron McCoy continued his rich vein of form as he scored four tries against Linwood, taking his season’s tally to 12, three clear of his nearest chasers.

Brighton was dominant in the scrums, scoring several times from 5m out including a penalty try. Linwood ran out of props 16min from time, Golden Oldies scrums being employed. Brighton won by 20 points, retaining the DCL Shield and remains a point behind Christchurch.

Sydenham picked up its first win, downing University which had taken maximum points from Lincoln University the previous week. Sydenham’s defiant defence was a key to its success and it will need to repeat that away to Christchurch next Saturday.

Marist Albion, with 10 points, and Old Boys, with nine, are the unbeaten teams in section two. Old Boys accounted for Shirley, the team that upset it by a point in the Cup round, by 22 points while Marist Albion repeated its close Cup win against Sumner.

A late try to Sumner wing Ross McCann, his eighth in the last five rounds, gave his team hope of a second win in the play-offs, but Marist Albion held on to win by three points despite an outstanding game from Sumner first-five Nik Cumming.

Belfast repeated its Cup win against winless Burnside with flanker Frank Havea outstanding for the winning team. The game will be more remembered though for the showing of coloured cards, referee Scott Cunnold dishing out four yellows and two reds.



At Lincoln: Christchurch 25 (Simon Forrest 2, Gus Middleton, Daniel Koster, Tui Mika tries) beat Lincoln University 11 (Nathan Clough try; Brett Cameron 2 pen). HT: 10-11. Sin-bin: Brad Tucker (Christchurch), Chris Gawler (Lincoln University). Referee: James Munro.

You don’t need a goal-kicker when you can pile on the tries and Christchurch did that, three of their five touchdowns coming from their specialty, the driving maul.

And if the driving maul was typical for the visitors, it was also typical for hooker Simon Forrest to twice plant the ball down at the heart of the surging pack.

In the dying stages, Christchurch also showed their last-ditch defence was right up to the mark as Lincoln University mounted wave after wave of close-quarter attacks.

Right wing Nick Lake appeared to have dotted down in the corner at the death but was finally ruled to have put a foot into touch. Apart from that, No.8 Hugo Nankivell looked the most likely to fully breach the defence but Christchurch held firm.

As for the goal-kicking, Christchurch expect Cam Bailey _ who strained a hamstring just before the start of the previous week’s match _ to be back very soon.

Matt Thatcher has made a good fist of the fullback’s duties in Bailey’s absence but he is not the greatest goal-kicker around. Matt Kottier, who is looking useful at first-five, missed one conversion attempt.

Tui Mika had a big game at No.8 for Christchurch, proving he is a more than adequate substitute for the migrant Kieran Coll. The rest of the pack, including substitutes, played to their usual high standard. Gus Middleton, the master of pressure, opened the try-scoring when he shot off the back of a lineout to intercept a long pass from Lincoln’s Jack Stratton to first-five Ere Enari.

Enari came into the pivot position when Harrison Groundwater was ruled out through injury. Brett Cameron shifted out one place.

The five-eighth pairing of two talented youngsters promised much but they were kept in check by the visitors, notably Inga Finau.

The Christchurch second-five did a lot of good things, including a chip-kick and regather to put Daniel Koster away just after the break. These two are forging a potent midfield partnership.

Lincoln’s truly bright moment came when Nathan Clough scored 8min from half-time. Several times centre Clough stationed himself closer in from set plays as a pinch-hitter and this time he was first receiver, slicing all the way through from 25m out.

Hawkins Medal (MVP): Tui Mika (Christchurch) 3, Simon Forrest (Christchurch) 2, Daniel Koster (Christchurch) 1.

Jim Doyle

A try on full-time by Emerson Sooaemaela thrust Sydenham to a 20-17 win over Lincoln University in the second-division curtain-raiser.

Sydenham spread the ball left after fullback Jimmy Lim opened up the defence with a side-stepping run. Second-five Sooaemaela speared through as Sydenham enjoyed big numbers out wide.

The win, at the end of the round-robin, gives Sydenham a good chance of making the top section.

Other Sydenham players to make telling contributions were substitute forward Tevita Lotoalahi, who was a real handful for Lincoln with ball in hand, and lock Matt Bateman.

Lincoln were hit by defections in holiday time and lost key players Matt Heffernan and Jonty Kay to injury in the second half. On the plus side, the substitute for Heffernan was Andrew Hull, who made an impact. 



At Linfield Park: New Brighton 43 (Aaron McCoy 4, Rhys Keith, Brett Mather tries; penalty try; Scott Davidson 3 conv; Stefan Moir conv) beat Linwood 23 (Kalavini Leatigaga 2, Martin Solofua tries; Aayden Clarke conv, 2 pen). HT: 24-13. Referee: Sheldon Eden-Whaitiri. Sin-bin: Tyler Hansen Kini (Linwood), Robbie Mulvena (New Brighton).

It was the ``Azza’’ show at Linfield Park. Aaron McCoy, the robust New Brighton No.8, had a nose for the try-line and crossed it four times and almost made it five in the final minute.

He was try-bound from 15m out but as he neared the white paint a Linwood arm managed to dislodge the ball and the chance went begging. McCoy had an unmarked man outside him and a spectator commented ``pass it next time’’. But it had been his day and who could blame him going it alone.

McCoy opened the scoring after 5min when New Brighton opted to kick for the corner from a penalty. Rangy lock Taua Limuloa won the throw and McCoy ploughed over.

It was 5min into the second half before he had his second. He started the move with a big midfield bust and he finished it wide out after the ball had been recycled several times.

His third try after 54min was almost a formality. Linwood had prop Tyler Hansen Kini in the sin-bin and even before his departure Brighton’s scrum was totally dominant. From a 5m scrum, New Brighton gained a pushover try with McCoy the recipient.

His fourth with 4min to play was from another 5m scrum. Scrums had reverted to Golden Oldies scrums after 64min when Linwood lost tighthead prop Trent Harris with a leg injury. McCoy collected the ball and found nobody keen to tackle him. ``Too easy’’ remarked a Brighton supporter.

Linwood was in the match until a minute from half-time. It led 13-10 after first-five Aayden Clarke kicked his second penalty in the 24th min. Either side of that Brighton had scored through second-five Rhys Keith, who accepted a neat backhand flip pass from McCoy on the short side, and through centre Brett Mather after Linwood turned over the ball just outside its 22m.

Mather’s try had Brighton ahead, 17-13, but on the call of half-time Brighton won a 5m scrum after the ball was held up over the Linwood line. It was no surprise a penalty try was awarded as the scrum rumbled to the line only to be disrupted by offside play.

Linwood managed three of the game’s nine tries, two of them scored by dangerous left wing Kalavini Leatigaga, who beat players with pace on both occasions. Halfback Martin Solofua, who played at second-five after half-time, got the second, showing strength to dot down in the corner after a sharp backline attack.

McCoy was undoubtedly the man of the match, but flanker Ryan Newman covered well, gathering a bouncing ball just out from Brighton’s line when Linwood was threatening to hit back in the last quarter. Limuloa gave Brighton lineout presence in the first half and Ben Nelson did that when replacing him after the break.

Linwood captain, flanker Jordan Stewart, achieved a high work-rate, winning lineouts, defending furiously and making metres on the burst. Hooker Pita Anae Ah-Sue tackled tenaciously close in at the mauls, while Solofua performed well in both his positions.

Hawkins MVP: Aaron McCoy (New Brighton) 3, Jordan Stewart (Linwood) 2, Ryan Newman (New Brighton) 1.

Bob Schumacher

Four tries and 26 unanswered points in the third quarter turned a close game into a decisive win for Linwood over Shirley in the premier colts curtain-raiser.

Shirley competed strongly in the first half, leading 12-5 before a late try by lock Nopera Teupe from a bullocking run closed it to 12-10 at the break. No.8 Nathan Tanuvasa was like a rampaging rhino, scoring two superb tries and setting up another as Linwood dominated the third quarter.

Linwood led, 41-12, after 64min, but Shirley showed plenty of fortitude to score three tries in the last 10min. Its five tries were the most by the team this season and the coaches applauded the players’ fightback.

Linwood centre Pio Loana, who scored his team’s eighth and final try 5min from time, was a sharp, elusive runner, while Shirley was well served by flanker Heino Gaiser, who jumped well at the front of the lineout and hustled strongly in the loose, and fullback-wing Logan Ngarongo, who looked for work and was not afraid to mix it with bigger opponents.



 At Ilam Fields: Sydenham 24 (Ray Nu’u, Milford Keresoma tries; Kieran Lindsay conv, 4 pen) beat University 14 (Finlay Christie, Sam Godwin tries; Bradley Hemopo 2 conv). HT: 10-0. Referee: Blair Barclay.

Sydenham stayed firmly in touch with a place in the top four with a gritty 24-14 win based on a determined defensive resolve and by making the most of the opportunities that came their way.

Each side scored two converted tries. However, University’s came in the last quarter when the effects of the energy-sapping defensive effort mounted by Sydenham was taking its toll.

The match started sensationally. University kicked off and Sydenham cleared, kicking it 60m up field, from where the students tried to attack 40m from their own line. 

From a fortuitous intercept Sydenham scored. A Varsity pass came off a shoulder and bounced into the hands of rookie 18-year-old centre Ray Nu’u who, in his first touch of the ball at this level, broke the last tackle and scooted 40m to cross under the bar. Kieran Lindsay converted for 7 - 0 after 45 seconds.

For the next 39min, the maroons dominated possession and territory but couldn’t score due to a defiant Sydenham defence that denied University continuity by defending its goal-line with resolve and forcing pressure errors and turnovers.

You could feel the awesome bruising attacking defence from the side-line as the students continually hammered away inside the Sydenham 22m for no reward.  

With Jay Smith and Misi Lamoseteli featuring, supported by Kalave Auli’itia, they smashed attackers to ground inches from the chalk or held them up on or over the goal-line.

When a strangely one dimensional home team tried to go wide they were met by the uncompromising defence of impressive midfielder Gillen Larrat, who inspired his mates to emulate him.

In the 37thmin, the cardinals made a rare visit into the University 22m and forced a penalty. Lindsay goaled and the break came with Sydenham ahead 10 -0 and University supporters scratching their heads.

In the first 25min of the second stanza the visitors enjoyed a more even share of possession and territory but couldn’t manage to cross the line due to some equally impressive University defence.   Lindsay kicked two penalties in this period to extend the lead to 16.

By the 66thmin Sydenham had emptied its bench through injuries and the desire to introduce fresh legs.

University started to reassert itself and, after seven phases left and right, a gap opened for the electric standout, halfback Finlay Christie, who scored beside the posts. Bradley Hemopo converted and the gap was nine with 13min to play.

From the restart, Sydenham forced a turnover in their own territory and moved the ball quickly right to Milford Keresoma. He began a powerful 40m flirt with the chalk and the attention of numerous defenders that resulted in a try in the corner.

With 6min to play, Christie mounted a solo run from 70m out. Running over, under and through a tiring defence he found Sam Godwin on his shoulder. The pass was made and Godwin scored. Hemopo converted and the students were seven points adrift.

Lindsay, whose successful penalty kicks in the second half kept the match tantalisingly out of reach of University, goaled the vital penalty in the 77th min to ensure a Sydenham win.

In a solid team effort, visitors who made a noticeable impact were Misi Lamositele, who showed a different dimension by standing out in a defensive role. Larrat stood out in the midfield defence and distributed effectively with limited opportunities. Auali’itia was massive in the tight exchanges and at disrupting University lineout throws.

Keresoma was busy on the wing and the two tyros, Nu’u and Brodie McAlister, impressed.

University standouts were Christie, whose key roles were completed expertly and was a threat when he ran, centre Nigel Gibb, Godwin and lock Caleb Aperahama.

Hawkins MVP: Misi Lamositele (Sydenham) 3, Gillen Larrat (Sydenham) 2, Finlay Christie (University) 1.

Paddy Brandon

In the division two curtain-raiser between University and Suburbs,  the students were too fast and structured against a disjointed injury-hit opponent, scoring six tries to one in a 38-5 victory.

Possessing potent counteracting skills all across the park, University consistently ran wayward kicks and mistakes straight back at Suburbs, forcing them into a largely scrambling defensive role. 

Visiting Queensland referee Shane Barr impressed with his firm control of a match which in the first half was at times testy, resulting in two Suburbs players cooling their heels in the bin.

University forwards to note were South African-born Josh Joubert and Fraser Bryant. Former division one player Ryan Wilkes impressed with his runs and distribution from fullback.

In a Suburbs side that played more cohesively and with better discipline in the second half, hooker Fatu Timu, No.8 Tony Arona and wing Lochie Roberts gave it their best shot.



HSOB v Shirley At Bob Deans 1: High School Old Boys 34 (George Taylor 2, Darren Gillespie 2, Will Hamilton tries; Harry Miller 3 conv, pen) beat Shirley 12 (Hayden Mitchell, Nathan Smith tries; Smith conv). HT: 26-0. Sin-bin: Jud Robbins (Shirley). Referee: Dave Rumble.

Unfortunately for Shirley their match against Old Boys had a very familiar pattern to it. They conceded too many early points then had to play catch-up rugby for the remainder of the game.

Shirley started with enterprise, but all too soon lapsed into bad habits, conceding turnovers and penalties regularly which gave the home team considerable territorial advantage which they put to good use.

A dominant scrum put the acid on the visitors in the set pieces, and Shirley’s only entry into Old Boys territory in the first half was from kick-offs and that was brief as Shirley were more often than not defending hard inside their 22m.

When No.8 Jud Robbins was sent to the sin-bin after 12min it wasn’t long before Old Boys turned the man advantage into points with halfback Will Hamilton doubling around from a scrum to take the pass and scuttle across.

On 22min and 25min, left wing George Taylor displayed his startling speed and ability to break tackles as Shirley were first outflanked down the left wing with Taylor breaking the despairing defender’s tackle to cross in the corner.

Then minutes later a clean break had him in the clear on halfway with only Shirley fullback Liam Timoteo to beat. He managed that with ease, scoring under the bar.

Shirley were under severe pressure in the scrums and often had their feeds disrupted, including one clean tighthead loss.

As the half ran down, Old Boys were camped on Shirley’s line and the visitors conceded a series of 5m scrums which inevitably paid dividends for the home team. Replacement No.8 Darren Gillespie reached across to score the first of his double as Shirley’s scrum was driven back.

From the kick-off, Old Boys almost had another as a fast break was only just foiled by a desperate tackle causing a knock on with the line open.  

After the break Shirley settled more into their rhythm and with the penalty count climbing rapidly in their favour managed to develop some go forward, forcing Old Boys to defend for much of the third quarter.

HSOB v ShirleyThis resulted in a series of solid hits on the Old Boys line, where veteran lock Hayden Mitchell finally broke through to open Shirleys account.

On 66min some strong work by Robbins carried several defenders back and he was able to offload the ball neatly to trailing first-five Nathan Smith who was able to stay on his feet in the hands of two defenders and drive to the try-line to score Shirley’s last points.

Running the ball at every opportunity was Shirley’s mantra, but an errant pass as they ran out of defence had the ball land in Gillespie’s arms with no one to beat, and he cantered in for his second.

For Old Boys, No.8 Kurt Polson impressed until he suffered an ankle injury and was replaced by Gillespie who made great use of the chance. Hooker Nick Hyde was a dynamo around the park, and with experienced props Blair Prinsep and Pete Chaplin, made life very difficult for their opposites.

Halfback Will Hamilton has become a very effective distributor and first-five Harry Miller, in for the unavailable Jarred Percival due to Southland duty, proved a reliable replacement.

For Shirley, locks Jared Briggs and Mitchell were a strong influence in rallying an outgunned pack. Robbins, despite his 10min rest, had a strong game, moving to lock in the latter stages. Prop Tawhiri Wharehinga was again a force carrying the ball into the tight.

Hawkins MVP: George Taylor (HSOB) 3, Jared Briggs (Shirley) 2  Nick Hyde (HSOB) 1

Donn Leckie

No curtain-raiser was played.



At Edgar MacIntosh Park: Marist Albion 29 (Tom Reekie, Dan Fransen, Charlie Gamble, Chris Crichton tries; Reekie 3 conv, pen) beat Sumner 26 (Dylan Nel, Marshall Suckling, Ross McCann tries; Nik Cumming conv, 3 pen) HT: 19-16. Referee: Andrew Twist (Queensland).

Tries either side of half-time turned what looked like being a comfortable win to Marist Albion into a tight contest as Sumner were sparked to life by Nik Cumming.

After a sluggish start, Sumner found themselves in front as the game entered the last quarter before a Chris Crichton try ensured Marist Albion kept the lead for good.

Marist came out of the blocks fast and were rewarded with an early try when second-five Tom Reekie hit a flat pass at pace on a perfect angle on a 20m run before momentum carried him over in a desperate covering tackle.

After Cumming posted Sumner’s first points with a penalty goal, Marist Albion went back on attack and they sensed a weakness on Sumner’s left side as they chewed through the metres before Reekie produced a top offload to send fullback Dan Fransen on a 30m run to the line.

Sumner cut the margin to 12-6 through a second Cumming penalty before Reekie missed his first penalty attempt, but it didn’t matter as Marist Albion were soon awarded another one hot on attack.

This time they opted for a lineout and were awarded two phases later when Charlie Gamble surged his way across from close range.

Down by 13, Sumner clicked into gear. Cumming missed a penalty from halfway, but he then converted one from point blank range to close the margin to 10 and, on the stroke of half-time, he broke through the Marist Albion defensive line before turning the ball inside to No.8 Dylan Nel who ran 20m to score untouched.

The second half began in scrappy fashion with Marist Albion enjoying the early territorial dominance but failing to convert on the scoreboard. A relieving penalty put Sumner on attack and they needed no second invitation with Cumming laying on a deft pass for Marshall Suckling to score out wide and give his side a 21-19 lead.

Sensing the game slipping away with Sumner having all the momentum, Marist Albion stepped up and it wasn’t long before a penalty goal had them back in front before Crichton’s direct running through the middle of Sumner’s defence provided a vital eight-point buffer after a dropped bomb by Suckling had the home team hot on attack once more.

Sumner set up an interesting finish when wing Ross McCann from broken play ran 60m to score. But Marist Albion controlled the territory and possession to play out time and secure the hard-fought win.

Cumming was a standout for Sumner, setting up both tries as Sumner engineered their comeback.

His goal-kicking was solid to keep his side in touch with Marist Albion dominating the early stages, but crucially it tapered off in the second half.

Reekie was crucial to Marist Albion’s cause and he kept his nerve with the boot to keep his side at arm’s length when Sumner pressed hard in the second half.

Nel had a strong game up front for Sumner. His direct running style earned him a try late in the first half and provided his side vital yardage in the second half via a couple of strong busts.

Hawkins Medal (MVP): Nik Cumming (Sumner) 3, Tom Reekie (Marist Albion) 2, Dylan Nel (Sumner) 1.

Anthony Morgan

No curtain-raiser was played.



At Burnside Park: Belfast 23 (Frank Havea, Matthew Jenkins, Isei Vuluma tries; Oliver Marshall conv; 2 pen) beat Burnside 19 (Owen Murphy, Phil Gibson, Hayden Webber tries; Phil Gibson 2 conv). HT: 8-7. Referee: Scott Cunnold. Sin-bin: Oliver Marshall (Belfast), Rhett Moore (Belfast), Luke Reihana (Burnside), Luke Kavanagh (Belfast). Sent-off: Luke Waller (Belfast), Tafesilafai Maafi (Burnside).

Belfast overcame an 11-point second-half deficit to beat Burnside in an ill-disciplined affair, which featured as many red and yellow cards as tries.

In 15min of madness in the first-half, four yellow cards and two reds cards were dished out over three separate incidents.

The match started at a brisk pace, with the two sides trading tries early on.

Burnside struck the first blow, opting to take a quick tap instead of a kickable penalty after 4min. The risk paid off, with lock Owen Murphy surging over the line to put Burnside in the lead.

Belfast responded in kind 10min later, with flanker Frank Havea scoring to narrow Burnside’s lead to 7-5.

The tries dried up after this point though, with errors hindering both teams from executing their game plan. Burnside had the edge over the Belfast pack at scrum-time, but couldn’t capitalise on its advantage.

The game was sparked into life after 25min, but for all the wrong reasons.

The first card of the match was awarded to Belfast first-five Oliver Marshall, who got 10min in the sin-bin for backchat. Just 5min later though, cards of a different colour were being handed out.

Following a misunderstanding at the bottom of a ruck, a fracas broke out, with its participants engaging in a frank exchange of ideas and physical blows.

Once the dust had settled, there were three less players on the field. Belfast flanker Luke Waller and Burnside wing Tafesilafai Maafi were both shown red cards, while Belfast halfback Rhett Moore also received a sin-binning.

The sentencing resumed close to half-time, with a yellow card for Burnside second-five Luke Reihana for a dangerous tackle. Belfast also managed to pick up yellow in the process though, with centre Malcolm Kavanagh given his marching orders for an unnecessary retaliation.

Despite being down to 12 men, Belfast took the lead on the stroke of half-time, with Marshall kicking a penalty from over 40m out following his return from the sin-bin.

The second half started with 13 against 13, and it was Burnside who were the first to make use of the extra space on the field.

Following a storming run from flanker Pete Samu, first-five Phil Gibson scored to regain the lead for Burnside.

Burnside struck again after 45min, with fullback Hayden Webber scooping up a wayward pass and outrunning the Belfast cover defence.

Down 19-8, Belfast slowly began to turn the match around, led by some strong performances off the bench.

Reserve centre Matthew Jenkins started the comeback, breaking the line from close range to bring the scores to 19-13 after 55min.

Now dominating the territory stakes, Belfast applied the blowtorch to the Burnside defence. Following 5min of constant attack on the Burnside goal-line, Belfast finally broke through to take the lead 23-19, reserve wing Isei Vuluma picking up the try.

Burnside launched one last-ditch attack, but Belfast hung on to secure the victory.

For Belfast, Frank Havea was a standout. The openside flanker was a powerful runner with ball in hand, and contributed some telling tackles on the defensive side. No. 8 Amenatave Tukana also had a strong game, working hard around the field and providing a reliable target at lineout time.

Burnside first-five Gibson kicked well and carried strongly, while centre Filimoni Waiqainebete and fullback Webber were dangerous with ball in hand.

In the forwards, the front row of Sam Campbell, Sam Prosser, and Liam Hanrahan combined to form a strong scrummaging platform for Burnside.

Hawkins MVP: Frank Havea (Belfast) 3, Amenatave Tukana (Belfast) 2, Phil Gibson (Burnside) 1.

Tim Newman 

In the division two curtain-raiser, Burnside prevailed over Linwood in an entertaining 20-13 win.

Trailing 13-3 at half-time, Linwood were sparked into life by a barnstorming 40m run by second-five Tom Latham, who left a trail of bodies in his wake.

With the match tied up at 13-13 after 70min though, it was Burnside who broke the deadlock, scoring through fullback Hugh Gahan. Prop Kieron Gibbons put the game beyond reach for Linwood, nailing the conversion from the left-hand touchline.

For Linwood, first-five Keneti Alatimu had a strong game, while lock Ama Saufeta showed good hands both in the lineout and around the field.

Centre Jarrod Deal was the top performer for Burnside, scoring a try and proving an elusive runner on attack.


Hawkins Logo     

Hawkins Leaderboards

178: Jarred Percival (HSOB)
156: Nik Cumming (Sumner)
111: Kieran Lindsay (Sydenham)
109: Scott Davidson (New Brighton)
93: Brett Cameron (LU)
86: Brad Hemopo (University)
82: Zac Southen (Linwood)
76: Cam Bailey (Chch)
71: Marty McKenzie (University)
69: Nathan Smith (Shirley)
66: Tom Reekie (Marist Albion)
62: Jordan Barrett (LU)
12: Aaron McCoy (New Brighton)
9: Kalavini Leatigaga (Linwood), Chris Crichton (Marist Albion)
8: Dylan Nel (Sumner), Ross McCann (Sumner), Amanaki Nicole (Sydenham), Milford Keresoma (Sydenham), Brad Hemopo (University)
7: Inga Finau (Chch), Jarred Percival (HSOB)
6: Zac Trusler (New Brighton), Nik Cumming (Sumner), Misi Lamisotele (Sydenham), Finlay Christie (University)
19: Finlay Christie (University)
15: Aaron McCoy (New Brighton)
14: Frank Havea (Belfast), Misi Lamositele (Sydenham)
12: Jack Stratton (LU)
11: Jarred Percival (HSOB)
9: Hugo Nankivell (LU), Inga Finau (Chch), Lawrence Babe (Sumner), Matt Etheredge (Chch)
8: Nik Cumming (Sumner)
7: Marty McKenzie (LU), Milford Keresoma (Sydenham), Brad Hemopo (University), Dylan Nel (Sumner)

Points as at 25th June

Hawkins Division 1 - Section 1              
Team Played Wins Draws Losses Defaults Bonus For Against F/A Points
Christchurch Div 1 2 2 0 0 0 2 55 27 28 10
New Brighton Div 1 2 2 0 0 0 1 72 49 23 9
Sydenham Div 1 2 1 0 1 0 1 50 43 7 5
University Div 1 2 1 0 1 0 1 45 49 -4 5
Lincoln University Div 1 2 0 0 2 0 1 36 56 -20 1
Linwood Div 1 2 0 0 2 0 0 39 73 -34 0
Hawkins Division 1 - Section 2    
Team Played Wins Draws Losses Defaults Bonus For Against F/A Points
Marist Albion Div 1 2 2 0 0 0 2 72 48 24 10
HSOB Div 1 2 2 0 0 0 1 64 31 33 9
Sumner Div 1 2 1 0 1 0 2 85 43 42 6
Belfast Div 1 2 1 0 1 0 0 42 49 -7 4
Burnside Div 1 2 0 0 2 0 1 33 82 -49 1
Shirley Div 1 2 0 0 2 0 0 34 77 -43 0

Other Results


Challenge Shield Match – Sydenham Win

Lincoln University 17 v. Sydenham 20, Shirley 19 v. HSOB 30, Lyttelton 16 v. New Brighton 23, University 31 v. Suburbs 5, Sumner 25 v. Marist Albion 14, Burnside 20 v. Linwood 13, Belfast 14 v. Christchurch 31;



Challenge Shield Match - Lincoln University Retain

Lincoln University 41 v. New Brighton 3, Christchurch 39 v. Burnside 32, Marist Albion 26 v. Sydenham 18;


Linwood 46 v. Shirley 27, University 31 v. Belfast 3, HSOB bye;



Challenge Shield Match - HSOB Retain

HSOB 31 v. University 12, Otautahi v. Marist Albion Beacons, no result received, Burnside 45 v. Marist Albion 5, Christchurch v. Suburbs, Christchurch Win by Default;



No Games – University Holidays



Challenge Shield Match – Suburbs S Win

Suburbs S 31 v. New Brighton 17, Marist Albion 39 v. Suburbs Div 3 8, Shirley W v. Lyttelton, no result received, Belfast bye;



Challenge Shield Match - Belfast M Retain

Friday, 24 June 2016

Christchurch C 5 v. Sumner S 8;

Saturday, 25 June 2016

Burnside Div 4 7 v. Belfast M 49, HSOB K 38 v. Linwood B 19, Shirley Div 4 v. Sydenham S, no result received;



Challenge Shield Match - Christchurch Retain

Christchurch 71 v. HSOB 13, Suburbs 73 v. Sydenham 12, University v. Lincoln, no result received;


Linwood 24 v. Burn/Duns/Irwell 24, Kaiapoi 35 v. Burnside 5, Marist Albion bye;



St Bedes College 7 v. Christchurch BHS 21, Waimea Combined 15 v. Burnside HS 12, Nelson College 25 v. St Andrew's College 14, Roncalli College 3 v. Rangiora HS 24, Marlborough B C 35 v. St Thomas 10, Timaru BHS 23 v. Christs College 43, Lincoln HS 20 v. Shirley BHS 45, Ashburton College bye;


Site by Orbital Ltd