SBS Bank Hawkins

Game Day - Week 15

10 Jul 2016

Metro Logo Hawkins Logo SATURDAY 9th JULY 2016

Scores:-Section One: Christchurch 31 New Brighton 15; Lincoln University 34 Sydenham 16;  Linwood 32 University 29. Section Two: Marist Albion 62 Burnside 0; Shirley 25 Belfast 18; Sumner 23 HSOB 17.



Leader New Brighton came to grief in the penultimate round of section play in the Metro Division One competition, falling to Christchurch for a fourth successive time and handing over the DCL Shield as well.

Christchurch certainly has proved New Brighton’s bogey team in recent seasons, the seasiders’ last win being in their top six clash in 2014.

However, the loss (and it came with no bonus point) still will not cost Brighton a place in the Hawkins Trophy semi-finals. Christchurch, on 15 points, and Brighton, on 13, are confirmed in the final four with Lincoln University (11) and Sydenham (10) likely to join them after the last round next Saturday.

Brighton completes the round robin with a home match against Trophy champion Lincoln College, while Christchurch, beaten finalist last year, will be away to University (7) and Sydenham will oppose Linwood at Rugby Park.

Linwood scored its first win in the round robin after coming from 12 points down with 12min to play to beat University by two. The winning try came in injury time when prolific try-scoring wing Kalavini Leatigaga won the race to the ball in goal after a grubber kick by first-five Aayden Clarke.

University scored five tries as opposed to Linwood’s four and claimed two bonus points, but the lack of a reliable goal-kicker hurt the students.

Christchurch held a two-point lead at half-time against New Brighton and kept the seasiders scoreless in the second half while it added two converted tries to earn a bonus point. Christchurch displayed patience and composure and Brighton did not help itself by losing flanker Troy Mangan to the sin-bin.

Lincoln University, with New Zealand Under 20 players Jordie Barrett and Hamish Dalzell returning to the fray, showed it will not hand over the Trophy without a fight, by beating Sydenham, 34-16, after Sydenham had convincingly downed Christchurch the previous week.

Sydenham led by four points at the break, but Lincoln took the lead soon after the restart and slowly pulled clear despite Sydenham being competitive until the close.

In section two, Marist Albion claimed maximum points for a fourth straight week and will contest the Hawkins Plate. It scored 10 tries and racked up 62 points against a Burnside team which has struggled all season. Wing Chris Crichton scored three and with 14 is the leading try-scorer, two ahead of Brighton No.8 Aaron McCoy.

First-five Nik Cumming starred as Sumner beat Old Boys for the second time this season. He scored all three tries and all 23 points as Sumner prevailed by six points. The two teams are locked on 11 points with Sumner having an easier assignment in the last round. It meets Belfast whereas Old Boys oppose Marist Albion.

Cumming’s haul took him to the top of the points-scorers on 179. With his only close rival, Old Boys first-five Jarred Percival (178) tied up with Southland rep duty, he is well poised to become the first Sumner player to win the award for most points.

Shirley avenged its Cup loss to Belfast, coming from a point behind at half-time to win by seven, outscoring Belfast three tries to two.



At Rugby Park: Christchurch 31 (Nick Annear 2, Fraser Scott, Sam Cottam tries; Ben Volavola 4 conv, pen) beat New Brighton 15 (Brett Mather, Alisi Tupuailei tries; Scott Davidson conv, pen). HT: 17-15. Referee: Carl Johnson. Sinbin: Troy Mangan (New Brighton).

It was a simple game plan and Christchurch played it well. Keep the ball in hand, be patient, exit well.

They continued their current dominance over New Brighton with a deserved 31-15 bonus-point win which sent them to the summit of the Hawkins Trophy points table with one section round to play while grabbing the DCL Shield in the process.

New Brighton last beat Christchurch in 2014 despite the previous six matches between the clubs all being decided by less than 10 points. Marcel Cummings-Toone will remember his 100th senior game in a New Brighton jersey for the wrong reasons. The hooker was substituted off after only 10min with a head knock.

After a tight first half where the lead changed hands four times, Christchurch managed to keep New Brighton scoreless in the second half despite playing into a strong wind. New Brighton had chances, but a combination of poor execution and dropped ball along with some very good defence meant Christchurch were able to continue to pull away which saw the seasiders chasing the game by the midway point of the second spell.

New Brighton had the better of the opening exchanges spending the first 5min of the game camped inside the Christchurch half. They had the lead in the 6th minute when Scott Davidson kicked a regulation penalty from in front of the posts.

Christchurch had the opening try of the match in the 13th minute. A simple training move from a scrum saw Volavola carry the ball to the line and pop it up for wing Fraser Scott to go across untouched. Volavola converted.

They extended that lead just 2min later when Volavola kicked an impressive penalty from the touch line and 40m out. New Brighton, however, were back on level terms at the half way point of the first half in a move that almost mirrored the earlier try.

They spun the ball to the right from a scrum and Brett Mather crashed over near the posts before Davidson added the conversion. New Brighton hit the lead again on 30min forcing a turnover on half way and immediately went wide. Replacement hooker Nathan Vella then beat two defenders and made a 30m run down the side-line before giving a pass off to Alisi Tupuailei who was unstoppable 20m out. He scored in the corner.

Troy Mangan was yellow carded 2min before half-time after tackling Scott in the air and Christchurch took full advantage with the extra man. From the lineout, Christchurch rumbled the ball forward and Annear got his hands on the ball to score in the corner. Volavola converted again to give his team the half-time lead.

Christchurch extended their lead after 8min of the second half when prop Sam Cottam crashed over after another forward drive following a period of time spent on the New Brighton goal-line. The Volavola conversion pushed Christchurch outside a converted try.

Davidson had an opportunity to reduce the deficit midway through the second half with a penalty attempt from half way but pushed it just wide which then saw New Brighton needing to start chasing the game.

With time running out, Christchurch started to attack looking for a bonus point. Then right on full-time Annear had his second try from another planned scrum move. Mika picked the ball up at the base of the scrum and went blindside popping a ball up for the halfback to dive across the line and secure his team five points.

Christchurch halfback Annear led his team around the park well, distributing good quick ball and getting his team on the front foot. Crusader Ben Volavola had “his best game in a Christchurch jersey” according to his coach making some good breaks in open play and an impressive kicking display.

He also set up his team’s opening try. Number 8 Tui Mika also impressed with his work-rate and created plenty of turnovers.

Second-five Rhys Keith played well for New Brighton making a couple of good breaks and Carisbrook To’omalatai continued his good form this season which earned him a call-up to the Canterbury training squad.

Hawkins MVP: Nick Annear (Christchurch) 3, Tui Mika (Christchurch) 2, Ben Volavola (Christchurch) 1.

Glenn Matthews

No curtain-raiser was played.



At Sydenham Park: Lincoln University 34 (Brett Cameron 2, Ashton Tuck, Nick Werahiko tries; Jordie Barrett 3 conv, Cameron conv; Barrett 2 pen) beat Sydenham 16 (Amanaki Nicole, Liam Smart tries; Kieran Lindsay 2 pen). HT: 7-11.  Referee: Kane McBride.

In a tough, uncompromising tussle, Lincoln University rediscovered its mojo with a possibly flattering, yet deserved, 34-16 bonus-point win over a Sydenham side that gave as good as it got for the full 80min.

Beginning the match with the strong, bitterly cold north easterly wind behind them, Sydenham attacked the Lincoln line. Solid defence drew a relieving penalty, but the home team came back and Kieran Lindsay kicked a penalty.

On half way the visitors cleared a lineout off the top. Moving the ball wide, Harrison Groundwater broke clear passing to Ashton Tuck who sprinted over. Brett Cameron converted and against the elements Lincoln were 7-3 up after 10min.

Then Milford Keresoma fielded a wayward clearing kick 60m out. After a dance with the side-line he pop kicked, regathered, and drew the last defender before passing to Amanaki Nicole who finished off and Sydenham were in front.

Lindsay completed the first half scoring with a penalty in the 31stmin. The break came with Sydenham enjoying a four-point advantage. 

However, it looked ominous for the home team as the wind continued to increase in velocity.  In the first half it had adversely affected the structure and continuity of both sides. 

Mistakes created more scrummaging situations and the students were profiting from this no matter who put the ball in.

Lincoln’s scrum had an edge and, with compact tight-head Joel Hintz disrupting effectively, they ensured Josh Lindsay, in his 100th game, was made to work hard to clear the ball.

After the restart, the visitors quickly wiped out the deficit with a try to Nick Werahiko, converted by replacement Jordie Barrett, who also kicked a penalty 3min later giving Lincoln a 17-11 lead at the 47thmin mark.

Sydenham had a strangely lifeless period as they struggled to cope with the flat `in your face’ rushing defence of the students. Trying to make play from the back foot, feeding off mistakes, often behind the gain line, was proving a big ask.

Yet this Sydenham side doesn’t meekly surrender. It was hanging in there and knocking over Lincoln ball-carriers effectively.

Regrouping they struck back in the 53rdmin when ubiquitous openside flanker Jay Smith seized on a loose ball and broke up field passing to Misi Lamositele. He ran hard at the defence and produced a classic over the top offload to put Liam Smart in.

Lindsay’s conversion from wide out bounced off the top centre of the crossbar and back into the field of play, but they were now only one behind.

Sydenham were building, getting some go forward and asking questions of a resolute visitor’s defence close in. Getting deep into Lincoln’s territory they conceded a penalty.

Lincoln won the resulting lineout, drove, moved the ball left, came back right creating a three on one. Cameron received the last pass crossing unopposed in the corner. Barrett converted and later kicked a penalty for 27-16.

The final 15min was a real arm wrestle. Trailing by 11 points, Sydenham were forced to create from their own territory in a desperate quest for a bonus point.

In referee’s time they travelled from hard defence of their line to within 20m of Lincoln’s. However, a mistake was seized on by the students. Goodhue, a powerful influence on defence and attack, broke clear passing to Cameron who showed a clean pair of heels scoring in the corner for a bonus point against the run of play. Barratt converted from the side-line and the final whistle sounded.

In an absorbing struggle of wills, skill and commitment, sadly unduly influenced by the elements, Lincoln University was probably slightly more cohesive than Sydenham at vital times.

Backed by the wind and the 100% goal-kicking feats of Barrett in the second half they proved a tough nut to crack. Other visitors to feature were Goodhue, Werahiko, Hugo Nankivell, Cameron and Hintz.

In a courageous Sydenham side, Lamositele stood out for his go forward and classic offloading, Smith was in the thick of it, young centre Ray Nu’u made several good breaks, Keresoma was busy and Josh Lindsay operated well behind an under pressure scrum.

MVP: Jack Goodhue (Lincoln University) 3, (Nick Werahiko (Lincoln University) 2, Misi Lamositele (Sydenham) 1.

Paddy Brandon

In a division two curtain-raiser played in a fast, open and adventurous manner by both sides, Sydenham came home with a 40-15 (six tries to two) victory over Lincoln University.

With both sides entering into the spirit of it and having a crack from anywhere there was plenty for a large crowd of spectators to cheer about which helped lessen the impact of the freezing wind chill.

The home team’s run straight at your opponent approach proved difficult for defenders to handle and they fell off too many tackles at vital times.

Late in the match, bolstered by an emptying of their bench, the students applied the same strategy and scored two good tries themselves.

Sydenham players who put their hands up were Matt Bateman a colossus in the core roles and in the open, young Portuguese lock Sebastian Bader who impressed in the lineout and take up, No.8 Moses Fosita, and distributor Emerson Poa. Former division one player Jimmy Lim contributed 13 points and ran well from broken play.

Lincoln University players who stood up were lock Jack MacFarlane with ball going forward, No.8 Matt Heffernan, lively left wing Josh Barrett and centre Will Tafua.



University v Linwood Linwood 32 (Poasa Mapu, Tyler Hansen Kini, Jordan Stewart, Kalavini Leatigaga tries; Aayden Clarke 3 conv 2 pen) beat University 29 (Brad Hemopo 2, Braydon Ennor, Oliver McCowan, Danny Berghan tries; Finlay Christie 2 conv). HT: 17-19. Referee: Chelsea Gurr.

The match between the two bottom-placed teams in section one proved to be a highly entertaining game of fluctuating fortunes, which was only decided in stoppage time with home team Linwood stealing the game from a resurgent University.

University seemed out of sorts in the first quarter and fell well behind on the scoreboard early, but came back strongly and led for much of the match, only to fall behind just before the final whistle.

University’s lack of an accomplished goal-kicker was to prove costly as stand in kicker, halfback Finlay Christie, was successful only twice from five attempts, although one conversion attempt did hit the crossbar.

University looked a little lethargic at the beginning as the home team began with a strong running game, quickly setting the students back on their heels in the early minutes. Linwood lock Poasa Mapu was able to pick up a loose ball from a ruck in front of the posts and stroll under the bar after 4min.

This early set-back proved to be no concern and, on 8min, a well-orchestrated breakout from halfway featuring wings, Nic Brooker and Nigel Gibb, whose inter-passing drew the defence, and finally put bullocking No.8 Brad Hemopo over for the first of his pair.

Continuing to run the ball, Linwood’s attacks were making regular inroads into Varsity territory where hard-running second-five Louis Devery was proving to be very effective and difficult to tackle.

One of Devery’s forays took the home team close, where after a couple of forward drives, prop Tyler Hansen Kini was driven over for a 17-5 lead on 14min.

University took up the running game in the second quarter and, after a couple of breaks which foundered due to final pass handling errors, the students, from a midfield penalty, kicked for the corner. A clean lineout win and a series of well defended drives saw the ball spread to centre Braydon Ennor who crossed wide out.

Just a couple of minutes later another penalty saw a carbon copy in the same corner. Prop Oliver McCowan received the ball on the burst to cross easily. The conversion gave University an unexpected lead at the break.

University carried the momentum with them from the restart, keeping the home team contained and making regular inroads into Linwood territory, only to founder against some strong defence and give away penalties when close to the line.

Linwood v UniversityHemopo was a strong influence on University’s go forward during this time and he was the benefactor after a prolonged period of possession which finally wore down Linwood’s resolve.

A Christie box kick shortly after created confusion in Linwood’s ranks and possession was regained in the form of replacement lock Danny Berghan, whose upright running style had the student supporters egging him on in a 40m dash to the line. He bumped off an ineffectual tackle to score for a 29-17 lead with 12min left.

The remaining period was Linwood however. They found an extra gear and forced University to retreat. Caught on the hop University began to leak points. On 70min, flanker Jordan Stewart crashed through some weak tackles to score and on 72min, first-five Aayden Clarke’s penalty closed the gap to just four.

Maintaining their momentum, particularly through the efforts of Devery’s forceful runs, Linwood stole the game with a minute of regular time left when Clarke’s deft grubber behind the advancing students saw left wing Kalavini Leatigaga win the race to the ball in goal.  

Only three points adrift, University gamely tried to attack from anywhere and it was no surprise to see Devery hold up an attack and force the turnover which ended the game.

For Linwood, Devery was ``Mr Indestructible’’, flankers Stewart and Paul Garner had strong games, halfback Jinho Mun distributed well and captain-fullback Zac Southen was a steady defender at the back. Lock Mapu was mobile in the loose.

University forwards Hemopo and lock Caleb Aperahama were very prominent carrying the ball up and Aperahama was often in the backline. Brooker and Gibb made the best of their chances and Christie had a very busy game.

Hawkins Medal MVP: Louis Devery (Lin) 3, Caleb Aperhama (Uni) 2, Brad Hemopo (Uni) 1

Donn Leckie

No curtain-raiser was played.



At Burnside Park: Marist Albion 62 (Chris Crichton 3, Rowan O’Gorman 2, Tom Reekie, Dylan Lolohea, Ross Kennedy, Robbie Harlow, Charlie Gamble tries; Reekie 6 conv) beat Burnside 0. HT: 24-0. Referee: Blair Barcley. Sin-bin: Charlie Gamble (Marist Albion).

The first 8min was symptomatic of Burnside’s season. The home team had nearly all of the possession, attacked the visitor’s line consistently, and had the advantage of an extra man with Marist Albion flanker Charlie Gamble in the sin-bin.

Then came the inevitable turnover and Marist Albion strung together phase after phase which ended with second-five Tom Reekie outflanking a stretched a defence to score in the corner after 10min.

Just as inevitable was that Marist Albion hooker Rowan O’Gorman, in his 250th senior game for the club, would score a try and that came after 19min when he was on hand to finish off after receiving a close-in pass.

From that point Burnside was rarely in the game and turnovers became a bane of their life as Marist Albion prospered. Captain Ross Kennedy was still shaking his fist in disappointment after being pulled down centimetres short of the line after a charging run when the ball was quickly transferred wide for right wing Dylan Lolohea to score.

Not long after Kennedy was again raising the fist, but this time in triumph, after he slam dunked the ball over the line after a prolonged series of assaults on it.

If Burnside was hoping that having the north-easterly wind at its back in the second half was going to be of assistance, it was in for a disappointment. Marist Albion added six tries to its four in the first half with right wing Chris Crichton bagging three of them, two from perfectly timed intercepts.

There was also time for O’Gorman to break two tackles and score a second before he was subbed, leaving the field to loud applause all around the ground.

Just before O’Gorman departed there was further applause when the Forsters, father Matt and son Sean, took the field together as replacements.

But there was little else for Burnside supporters to get excited about. Forwards such as No.8 Tom Lindsay, lock Owen Murphy, and hooker Foketi Puleiku put their heads down and carried the ball strongly, but it all too often went wrong once the ball was sent wide.

Passes were dropped or looped which played into the hands of the ever alert Crichton and Co.

Kennedy was a colossus for Marist Albion, winning his lineouts and stealing some of Burnside’s throws. He was prominent around the field and showed unexpected skills when kicking to the corner. ``Grub’’ O’Gorman was typically O’Gorman. Enough said.

Halfback Robbie Harlow was excellent until subbed after 50min. He ticked all the boxes with accurate clearances, astute kicking into space, and unyielding defence around the short side. Fullback Dan Fransen often turned defence into attack with sharp, elusive running.

Hawkins MVP: Ross Kennedy (Marist Albion) 3, Robbie Harlow (Marist Albion) 2, Rowan O’Gorman (Marist Albion) 1.

Bob Schumacher

Burnside’s greater share of possession and territorial advantage finally told as it scored three converted tries to beat New Brighton, 21-5, in the premier colts curtain-raiser.

Brighton’s dominant scrum and scrambling defence kept it in the game when battling into the north-easterly in the first half. It conceded just one first-half try when Burnside flanker Sean Forster scored after taking a quick penalty tap.

Brighton made a costly mistake starting the second half by dropping the kick-off. Soon after loosehead prop, Ethan Simpson, who ran powerfully in open play, ran 20m to score unopposed. First-five Regan Cantwell started and finished Burnside’s third try after 60min with a jinking run.

Ti Tamihana, a second-half replacement at fullback, scored Brighton’s consolation try with 15min to play after a break out from Burnside’s 22m. He brought much needed pace to the backline. No.8 Cam Botica was a robust defender who saved a certain try late in the first half with a desperate tackle.

Burnside’s rangy forwards dominated the lineouts with Paddy Hanrahan a kingpin in the centre.



At Burwood Park: Shirley 25 (Brandon Fanolua, Liam Timoteo, Tawhiri Wharehinga tries; Nathan Smith 2 conv, pen; Levi Ingles pen) beat Belfast 18 (Steve Knight, Mikaele Drulidruli tries; Will Stevens 2 pen; Leon Fukofuka conv). HT: 10-11. Sin-bin: Malcolm Kavanagh (Belfast). Referee: Sheldon Eden-Whaitiri.

Shirley put the foot down after a slow first half-hour to shut out Belfast on a day when a filthy cross-field easterly  wind may have accounted for a rash of spilled ball.

Belfast salvaged pride just before full-time when No.6 Mikaele Drulidruli emphatically finished a powerful surge by the visitors.

In fact, Belfast’s tries came at either end of the match. The side, spearheaded by Naibuka Tavenavo and Frank Havea, went on the rampage from the start. Feisty left wing Steve Knight sprinted in from 20m out after a couple of minutes and it looked like being Belfast’s day.

But Shirley slowly found their feet and a sweet offload from centre Sean Wainui had Brandon Fanolua across, the left wing coming into the centre of the park to score by the posts just on half-time.

Wainui also played a telling hand in fullback Liam Timoteo’s try, which started with a free-kick tap early in the second half.

Substitute prop Tawhiri Wharehinga put Shirley beyond reach when he finished a forward drive 6min from the end.

No.8 Phil Watson had a big game for Shirley, in the lineouts and on the carry. Blindside flanker Siua Maile was a human dynamo while loosehead prop Asora Tuiloma cut a powerful figure on the charge.

Substitute forward Chris Morel gave real meaning to the term impact player when he came off the bench in the last quarter.

Nathan Smith was a key figure at first-five, but there was a touch of inspiration when Shirley brought on the slippery Levi Ingles in the dying stages.

For Belfast, the triumvirate of No.8 Tavenavo, No.7 Havea and halfback Leon Fukofuka were outstanding. Fukofuka fired some booming passes and went close to scoring when Belfast were on a roll early.

Hawkins Medal (MVP): Phil Watson (Shirley) 3, Siua Maile (Shirley) 2, Naibuka Tavenavo (Belfast) 1.

Jim Doyle

Two late tries livened the scene in the premier colts curtain-raiser, Belfast centre Reuben Koster spearing through near full-time to clinch the match 8-7 for the visitors.

A few minutes earlier, powerful Shirley lock Tama Tangimetua had surged across after the home side had yet again demolished the Belfast scrum.

The game was tight throughout, 0-0 at half-time and 3-0 to Belfast with time running out.

While the Belfast pack had late problems in the scrums, loosies Jarrod Connor, Kelly Hutt and Sven Wright had strong games. First-five Tom Morrison made a telling half-break to set up the winning try.

For Shirley, lock Jermaine Milner and centre Jayden Pearce stood out in the battle of attrition



At St Leonard’s Square: Sumner 23 (Nik Cumming 3 tries; conv, 2 pen) beat High School Old Boys 17 (George Bridge, Peter Chaplin tries; Harry Miller 2 conv, pen) HT: 12-14. Referee: Scott Cunnold. Sin-bin: Nick Cave (HSOB).

A brilliant individual performance and a stunning try-saving tackle by Dylan Nel helped Sumner celebrate Reece McCaffrey’s 100th game with a hard-fought win.

The win was also important for Sumner in that it saw them draw level on 15 points with HSOB, setting up an intriguing final round next weekend.

With Old Boys looking threatening out wide early on, it was Sumner who were first to post points after hooker Tu’uta Simaile put them hot on attack with a strong run inside the 22m.
After HSOB cleared, Sumner entered the red zone again where first-five Nik Cumming stepped through the defence to score under the posts.

It wasn’t long before Old Boys answered however, after Sumner’s defence thwarted a number of early raids, George Bridge found space on the outside this time to cross and with Harry Miller’s conversion parity was restored.

Cumming injected himself by bursting through HSOB’s defence on his way to a 45m run to the corner with his only blemish of the first half coming via the missed conversion.

Sensing a weakness out wide, HSOB attacked left where Joe Taylor found himself in open space on a 40m run to the line only for a desperate Nel, who came from nowhere, to dislodge the ball from Taylor’s grasp in the in-goal area. That was a pivotal moment in the match.

Old Boys weren’t to be denied before half-time however. A strong forward drive netted hooker Peter Chaplin a try and with Miller’s conversion the half-time lead 14-12.

The teams reached a stalemate in the early stages in the second half with neither side able to add to their tally until Sumner took full toll on their first visit to HSOB’s 22m when Cumming broke through a couple of tackles to score the half’s only try.

Miller levelled soon after for Old Boys before Nick Cave was sinbinned for persistent infringing. That proved a key moment for Cumming’ penalty gave Sumner the lead with 18min to play.

Cumming extended Sumner’s lead to six before their defence held firm in the dying minutes to secure the vital win.

With 23 points, Cumming singlehandedly gave Sumner the edge in a dominant display.
His tactical kicking ensured Sumner held a territorial advantage for much of the contest, particularly in the second half when the game tightened up and his running game and footwork caused the HSOB defence a lot of trouble as he crossed for three tries.

Nel’s hard running with ball in hand regularly got his side on the front foot off the back of scrums and in open play and his no-nonsense approach on defence forced Old Boys into error on a few occasions.

Bridge was solid at the back for HSOB and scored his side’s first try. He was an important part of a number of attacking raids as he chimed into the line, unfortunately most of which broke down.

Hawkins MVP: Nik Cumming (Sumner) 3, Dylan Nel (Sumner) 2, George Bridge (HSOB) 1.

Anthony Morgan

Sumner overcame Shirley, 42-33, in a high-scoring division two curtain-raiser.

Sumner were in ascendancy in the first half as their pack dominated at scrum time with prop Jordy Sa producing a number of strong runs.

Shirley rallied back in the second by tightening their play up front, but Sumner kept them at arms length with a try to Sa out wide late in the game before Shirley scored a consolation try.

Josh Toy was influential in Sumner’s victory. After starting the game at halfback, Toy moved out one to first-five in the second half and directed the ship with aplomb with accurate kicking both in general play and at goal.

Centre Tufuga Sa broke the line on plenty of occasions while Callum Wisby was also strong at fullback for Sumner.

Michael Martlew was dangerous and he steered Shirley round the park, ensuing they never let Sumner get too far ahead, while prop Kenton Robinson had a number of strong ball carries up front in a losing cause.


Hawkins Leaderboards
179: Nik Cumming (Sumner)
178: Jarred Percival (HSOB)
131: Kieran Lindsay (Sydenham)
130: Scott Davidson (New Brighton)
120: Brett Cameron (LU)
96: Brad Hemopo (University)
91: Tom Reekie (Marist Albion)
84: Zac Southen (Linwood)
78: Nathan Smith (Shirley)
76: Cam Bailey (Chch)
74: Jordie Barrett (LU)
71: Marty McKenzie (University)
14: Chris Crichton (Marist Albion)
12: Aaron McCoy (New Brighton)
10: Kalavini Leatigaga (Linwood), Dylan Nel (Sumner), Amanaki Nicole (Sydenham), Milford Keresoma (Sydenham), Brad Hemopo (University)
9: Nik Cumming (Sumner), Ross McCann (Sumner)
8: Inga Finau (Chch), Rowan O’Gorman (Marist Albion)
7: George Bridge (HSOB), Jarred Percival (HSOB). Josh McKay (LU), Zac Trusler (New Brighton), Misi Lamositele (Sydenham)
19: Finlay Christie (University)
16: Aaron McCoy (New Brighton)
15: Misi Lamositele (Sydenham)
14: Frank Havea (Belfast)
12: Jack Stratton (LU), Dylan Nel (Sumner)
11: Jarred Percival (HSOB), Nik Cumming (Sumner)
10: Hugo Nankivell (LU), Ross Kennedy (Marist Albion)
9: Inga Finau (Chch), Lawrence Babe (Sumner), Matt Etheredge (Chch), Phil Watson (Shirley)
8: Milford Keresoma (Sumner), Brad Hemopo (University)
7: Marty McKenzie (University), Billy Harmon (New Brighton), Tui Mika (Chch)


Points as at 9th July

Division 1 Hawkins Division 1 - Section 1 (2016)
Team Played Wins Draws Losses Defaults Bonus For Against F/A Points
Christchurch Div 1 4 3 0 1 0 3 111 76 35 15
New Brighton Div 1 4 3 0 1 0 1 113 85 28 13
Lincoln University Div 1 4 2 0 2 0 3 115 79 36 11
Sydenham Div 1 4 2 0 2 0 2 100 102 -2 10
University Div 1 4 1 0 3 0 3 79 107 -28 7
Linwood Div 1 4 1 0 3 0 1 78 147 -69 5
Division 1 Hawkins Division 1 - Section 2 (2016)
Team Played Wins Draws Losses Defaults Bonus For Against F/A Points
Marist Albion Div 1 4 4 0 0 0 4 162 61 101 20
HSOB Div 1 4 3 0 1 0 3 144 54 90 15
Sumner Div 1 4 3 0 1 0 3 149 67 82 15
Belfast Div 1 4 1 0 3 0 1 73 102 -29 5
Shirley Div 1 4 1 0 3 0 0 66 136 -70 4
Burnside Div 1 4 0 0 4 0 1 33 207 -174 1


Other Results



New Brighton 15 v. Lyttelton 10, Christchurch 22 v. Linwood 5;


Challenge Shield Match – Burnside Win

HSOB 18 v. Burnside 19, Sydenham 38 v. Lincoln University 15;


Sumner 42 v. Shirley 33, Suburbs 19 v. University 29, Belfast 14 v. Marist Albion 20;



Challenge Shield Match - Burnside Retain

Burnside 21 v. New Brighton 5, Sydenham 10 v. Lincoln University 38, Christchurch 21 v. Marist Albion 20;


Shirley 7 v. Belfast 8, HSOB 58 v. University 12, Linwood bye;



Challenge Shield Match – Marist Albion Win

HSOB 8 v. Marist Albion 17, Marist Albion Beacons v. Suburbs, Marist Albion Beacons Win by Default, Christchurch 39 v. Burnside 17, Otautahi v. University, no result received,



Challenge Shield - Glenmark-Cheviot Holder

University v. Glenmark-Cheviot, no result received, CBHS 2nd XV 26 v. Merivale Papanui 22, HSOB 10 v. Christchurch 13;


Sumner 5 v. Lincoln University 13, Ashley 15 v. Burnside 20;



Challenge Shield Match - Suburbs S Retain

Suburbs S 8 v. Shirley W 7, Lyttelton v. Suburbs Div 3, no result received, New Brighton 12 v. Belfast 19,

Marist Albion bye;



Challenge Shield Match - Belfast M Retain

Belfast M 52 v. HSOB K 5, Sydenham S v. Sumner S, no result received, Christchurch C 20 v. Burnside Div 4 12, Shirley Div 4 29 v. Linwood B 7;



Catch-Up Game

University v. Lincoln, no result received;

Challenge Shield Match - Christchurch Retain

Christchurch 23 v. Suburbs 13, Sydenham 5 v. University 95, Lincoln v. HSOB, no result received;


Burn/Duns/Irwell 88 v. Marist Albion 7, Linwood 19 v. Kaiapoi 17, Burnside bye



Shirley BHS 24 v. St Bedes College 15, St Andrew's College 22 v. Burnside HS 12, Nelson College 27 v. St Thomas 25, Timaru BHS 19 v. Rangiora HS 7, Marlborough B C 48 v. Ashburton College 20, Lincoln HS 12 v. Waimea Combined 19, Roncalli College 0 v. Christchurch BHS 71, Christs College bye;




Site by Orbital Ltd