SBS Bank Hawkins

Game Day - Week 16

17 Jul 2016

Metro Logo Hawkins Logo SATURDAY 16th July 2016

SCORES:-Section One: Christchurch 20 University 18; Lincoln University 32 New Brighton 17; Sydenham 39 Linwood 17. Section Two: Marist Albion 39 HSOB 21; Sumner 34 Belfast 13; Shirley 36 Burnside 17.



Last year’s beaten championship finalist Christchurch topped the Metro section one round-robin with its fourth win, this time at University’s expense, as section play concluded on Saturday.

Christchurch, which finished fifth in the Hawkins Cup competition, will play the Cup winner New Brighton in one Hawkins Trophy semi-final while defending Trophy title-holder Lincoln University will oppose Sydenham in the other.

Christchurch has already overcome New Brighton twice this season, including a 16-point win in the top six round a fortnight ago, while Lincoln University also has had Sydenham’s measure, including an 18-point win two weeks ago.

After losing its first two games in section one, Lincoln was in danger of missing the semi-finals, but the defending champion has rediscovered the winning formula and its 32-17 win over New Brighton on Saturday came after big wins over Linwood and Sydenham.

The return of New Zealand Under 20 players, Jordie Barrett and Hamish Dalzell, has given added depth to the students with fullback Barrett contributing 17 points against Brighton and advancing his season’s tally to 91 from limited appearances.

Brighton was in touch with Lincoln University on the hour, just a point behind, but the students added two converted tries in the last quarter.

Both Lincoln and Sydenham, which trailed Linwood at half-time before establishing its superiority in the second half, overtook Brighton on the log, the seasiders having qualified after winning their first three games before losing the last two and failing to get a bonus point.

Marist Albion topped the bottom six section with its fifth straight bonus-point win, overcoming Old Boys for the second time this season. Marist Albion trailed by five points at half-time, but racked up four second-half tries to win by 18.

Marist Albion and Sumner, a comfortable winner over Belfast, will contest the middle-of-the-table Hawkins Plate. Marist Albion will Linwood, the bottom team in section one in one semi-final while Sumner will clash with University, fifth-placed in section one.

University could well have downed Christchurch, but instead came up two points short of a draw. It scored three of the game’s five tries but all were wide out and goal-kicker Finlay Christie was unable to slot any conversions.

In the bottom four competition for the Hawkins Bowl, Old Boys will oppose winless Burnside in one semi-final while Shirley will play Belfast with the honours even in their two matches this season.

Sumner first-five Nik Cumming has a four-point lead over Old Boys counterpart Jarred Percival in the race for the leading points-scorer. Percival has been released by Southland and reappeared for Old Boys late in the first half against Marist Albion.

Marist Albion wing Chris Crichton, with 15, in the leading try-scorer, three ahead of New Brighton No.8 Aaron McCoy.

The Hawkins Medal Most Valuable Player award will be decided next Saturday with University’s Finlay Christie a point ahead of Sydenham skipper Misi Lamositele. McCoy, if he gained maximum points on Saturday, could share the award.



At Ilam: Christchurch 20 (Brad Tucker try; pen try; Ben Volavola 2 conv, 2 pen) beat University 18 (Cam Watkins, Braydon Ennor, Morgyn Cowan tries; Finlay Christie pen). HT: 14-13. Sin-bin: Jordan Jackett (Christchurch), Sam Godwin (University), Tim Perry (Christchurch). Referee: Scott Cunnold.

University probably deserved to win this by dint of making three touchdowns to one.

But all the home side’s tries were scored out wide and Finlay Christie wasn’t going to convert from there.

By contrast, Ben Volavola had four relatively easy goal chances for Christchurch, two of them from penalties in the third quarter which was the only scoring for the visitors in the second half.

There were three tries in a harum-scarum first quarter during which three players were in the sin-bin at the same time and Christchurch had a penalty try when University infringed against a compelling driving maul from a lineout.

University spread the ball well from the start, creating space out wide rather than cramping themselves with crab-wise running.

Cam Watkins had the first try early after hooker Elia Elia made the telling incision and centre Nigel Gibb put the first-five away down the right.

Braydon Ennor looked dangerous when the ball swung the other way. Then just on half-time Ennor bumped off his marker and regathered a chip-kick to score as Christchurch seemed to think the half was over.

If Ennor was good on the left wing for University, so too was Fraser Scott for Christchurch. A sharp break by the well-built speedster had lock Brad Tucker across after 15min and Scott showed his slipperiness and strength on other occasions.

But the one man on the park who looked the hungriest for success was University’s Caleb Aperahama. The rangy lock performed his core duties well and was outstanding on the carry. A big break by Aperahama in the last quarter led to University’s third try, scored by substitute loose forward Morgyn Cowan.

Volavola was a mixed bag for Christchurch. He tried a few crafty touches on attack from first-five which didn’t come off. But he nailed the goals that mattered and his precision punting carved off decent chunks of territory, something University could have done with.

The Christchurch forwards weren’t quite on top of their game collectively but were good enough to take the win. Loosehead prop Perry was a colossus after taking a first-quarter breather which he earned by throwing a punch when he was foot-tripped.

Ethan Plaskett made a good fist of the hooker’s duties, throwing to the lineouts as though he’d been doing it all his life and getting around the park with gusto.

University’s cause was not helped when dynamic No.8 Brad Hemopo went off injured early in the second half.

Hawkins Medal (MVP): Ben Volavola (Christchurch) 3, Caleb Aperahama (University) 2, Fraser Scott (Christchurch) 1.

Jim Doyle

A last-minute try to barnstorming No.8 Usipua Similiae took Christchurch to a 15-11 win over University in the women’s curtain-raiser.

The win gave Christchurch top status going into the play-offs and also meant the side retained the Challenge Shield.

The power of the Christchurch scrum was a key factor in the match and second-five Lucy Anderson looked good in midfield while not having things all her own way against University’s Hannah Poff.

University looked to have earned success when fullback Livia McGovern raced away to score late in the piece. The wings defended well, particularly Keilamarita Puore-Lane. Kendra Cocksedge, the 2015 IRB women’s player of the year, showed her class from halfback.



Lincoln Uni At Rawhiti Domain Lincoln University 32 (Josh McKay 2, Jordie Barrett, Harrison Groundwater tries; Barrett 3 conv, 2 pen) beat New Brighton 17 (Carisbrook To’omalatai, John Vili, Reuben Spicer tries; Stefan Moir conv) HT: 11-5. Referee: Sheldon Eden-Whaitiri.

Being able to turn pressure into points and having a goal-kicker who can finish off the good work of his side is an important part of winning games of rugby.

Unfortunately for New Brighton, they had a bad day in these two fundamental areas as they fell to Lincoln University, their second loss in succession.

New Brighton’s inability to convert their pressure into some reward on the scoreboard was most evident early as they spend most of the first 15min camped inside Lincoln University’s 22m.

Lincoln’s superior discipline came to the fore when they went on the attack after 20min, when they were awarded a penalty which fullback Jordie Barrett converted to make it 3-0.

They doubled their advantage a couple of minutes later when Barrett potted another penalty from near halfway before the seasiders found themselves on attack once more after an ineffectual Lincoln attacking movement netted them a 5m scrum after the ball was carried back in-goal.

After some quick ball from the scrum, it was spread wide before prop Carisbrook To’omalatai burrowed over wide out, with Stefan Moir unable to convert.

Lincoln finished the first half the better when Barrett pounced on perfectly weighted grubber to make it 11-5 at half-time.

New Brighton looked threatening early in the second half after their midfield made a couple of strong busts to get them on the front foot. The ball was spread left where Lincoln’s defence looked to have their outsides covered, but John Vili showed remarkable strength to bust out of one tackle before outpacing the last line to score out wide.

Moir’s boot let him down to leave Lincoln in front by a point before they extended it to eight in a similar fashion to New Brighton’s first try with the ball being carried back by the seasiders, giving Lincoln a 5m scrum.

After a strong scrum which nearly netted them a penalty try, Lincoln spread the ball to the right where Barrett showed his selflessness by passing to the unmarked Josh McKay, who ran around to improve the position.

Linc Uni v New BrightonNew Brighton weren’t done however as Reuben Spicer ran a great support line after another strong run out on the left flank by Vili before an inside ball gave Spicer an unmarked 15m run to the line.

Moir’s conversion snuck inside the upright to close the margin to 18-17 which set up an interesting final quarter.

Lincoln however would never be headed as they ran in two more converted tries.

The first was almost a carbon copy of McKay’s first try as Barrett sent the wing in in the corner before hard-running second-five Harrison Groundwater completed the scoring as Lincoln took full advantage of their opportunities.

Barrett was a standout for Lincoln, landing five of his six attempts at goal including a penalty from half way. His kicking in general play was consistently on the mark and a couple of touches of class helped McKay cross for two tries while he added one himself for a personal haul of 17 points.

Groundwater’s hard running in the midfield consistently got his side on the front foot with his battering ram running style akin to that of a forward. His strong toil netted him a try late in the contest.

Spicer was one of New Brighton’s best as he gave his backline strong service all day and he was rewarded for his strong support play when he scored his side’s final try.

Hawkins Medal (MVP): Jordie Barrett (Lincoln University) 3, Reuben Spicer (New Brighton) 2, Harrison Groundwater (Lincoln University) 1.

Anthony Morgan

Sydenham took out the premier colts curtain-raiser in clinical fashion, dispatching New Brighton, 55-18.

The nine tries-to-two win was set up by a standout performance by Inoke Mosaati, who produced an abundance of strong runs while he also crossed for a try.

Flanker Layton Francis had a strong game after taking over the captaincy duties. He was strong on defence and pilfered plenty of ball for Sydenham at the breakdown.

First-five Jack McLeod directed his side around the park with aplomb as Sydenham spent the majority of the game on the front foot.



At Linfield Park: Sydenham 39 (Jay Smith, Scott Kelly, Tana Manu, Misi Lamositele, Kieran Lindsay, Brodie McAlister tries; Lindsay 3 conv, pen) beat Linwood 17 (Kalavini Leatigaga, Zac Southen tries; Southen 2 conv, pen). HT: 12-14. Referee: Karl Hancox. Sin-bin: Jordan Stewart (Linwood).

In a disappointing dress rehearsal for the knock-out rounds Sydenham produced a `keystone cops’ like first-half performance. 

They were made to work hard to subdue a feisty Linwood team that quickly punished indecisiveness, poor execution and option-taking by an out-of-sorts visitors backline in that stanza.

The final score of 39 -17 (six tries to two) looks pretty clear cut on paper.  However, on the field it was a totally different picture.

Sydenham kicked off and immediately put the Linwood line under pressure and claiming the home team’s 22m as their own. In the 7thmin Jay Smith was over under the bar and Kieran Lindsay converted. 

Sydenham, with its forwards providing an endless supply of quality go-forward ball, continued to pressure their opponents, but their back division proceeded to blow clear-cut opportunities. 

Before earning the right to do so, they tried to produce `razzle dazzle’. Over ambitious passes, offloading to players in a worse position, wayward tactical kicks that went straight up in the air, and unforced errors coupled with lack of patience nullified promising opportunities.

A graphic example came in the 24thmin. The cardinals created a two-on-one 10m from Linwood’s line. The pass was made and accepted by Kalavini Leatigaga who went into overdrive dotting down after a 90m dash.  Zac Southen converted to tie it up, 7-7.

Over the next 5min Sydenham were held up twice over the line. Then Kalave Auali’itia, displaying the agility of a contortionist, secured an attacking lineout throw off the top creating a try for Scott Kelly.

On half-time, Linwood kicked a penalty out on the Sydenham 22m.  Winning the ball, they set up a driving maul, cleared to Southen who sliced through the defence to score and convert. 

Linwood led 14-12 at half time against the run of play despite being behind on all the vital stats: possession, territory and the penalty count.

There must have been some robust and frank discussions between the Sydenham forwards and backs in the break because (and coinciding with the introduction of Josh Lindsay at halfback) the backs got on the same page as the forwards and started to run more predictable lines for their quality loose forwards to support.

Linwood extended their lead to five points 45min in with a Southen penalty.

But the Linwood challenge was extinguished from that point as a stronger visitor’s bench and fatigue started to take its toll.

Tana Manu scored in the 46th min and Lindsay’s conversion gave Sydenham back the lead.

A comical moment came 10min later with a Linwood scrum feed 60m out. The ball, going in with all the finesse of a lawn bowl, rebounded from the home team’s second row onto Sydenham’s side.

The agate popped out of the back of the visitor’s scrum to a surprised Misi Lamositele who knocked it behind him. Regathering, he looked up and saw an open line. 

Then with the pace of `Hermes’ he raced 60m, scoring under the sticks. Lindsay converted. 

In the final 20min, Sydenham collected tries to Brodie McAlister and Kieran Lindsay who also slotted a penalty.

The standouts in the Sydenham team were Lamositele, who displayed a full range of skills, Auali’itia, who quietly and effectively made a solid contribution to his primary duties, and flankers Jay Smith and Matt James whose hard-nosed attitude ensured their team had its fair share of breakdown ball.

For Linwood, Southen operated calmly, Leatigaga displayed blinding pace, and loosies, Paul Garner and Jordan Stewart (despite his 10min rest), contested hotly at the contact and breakdown.

Hawkins MVP: Misi Lamositele (Sydenham) 3, Kalave Auali’itia (Sydenham) 2, Matt James (Sydenham) 1.

Paddy Brandon

No curtain-raiser was played as Linwood beat Lyttelton by default in their division two match.



At Edgar MacIntosh Park: Marist Albion 39 (Dylan Lolohea, Henry Allen, Dan Fransen, Tom Reekie, Des Spooner tries; Reekie 4 conv, 2 pen) beat High School Old Boys 21 (Angus Blair, Joe Taylor tries; Harry Miller conv, pen; Jarred Percival 2 pen). HT: 8-13. Referee: Liam Scanlon. Sin-bin: Jacob O’Connell (Marist Albion).

Marist Albion’s ability to convert chances into points was the telling difference.

After a conceding an early penalty and the first try to Marist Albion in the first 25min, Old Boys finally capitalised on their territorial advantage and a penalty count heavily in their favour to score the next 13 points and lead by five at the break.

They would have felt anxious at oranges. They set camp inside Marist Albion’s 22m for long periods of the first half, but two penalty kicks were missed and repeated attempts to score from 5m lineout drives or 5m scrums came unstuck against a resilient home defence.

The match turned on its head in the third quarter when Marist Albion readily accepted opportunities that came its way. Portly prop Henry Allen crashed over among a pile of bodies to score after 43min, Tom Reekie’s conversion regaining the lead.

Jarred Percival slotted a simple penalty goal after 50min to have Old Boys ahead, 16-15, but it swung Marist Albion’s way after 58min when Reekie kicked a 45m penalty.

That excited the home team and from the kick-off the ball fell into Marist Albion’s hands and fullback Dan Fransen scurried 50m to the score in a tackle in the corner.

Reekie’s sideline conversion was a bonus and on 65min he crossed himself for the bonus-point try after a nicely planned backline move initiated by the solid halves pairing of Hayden O’Donnell and first-five Chris Leader.

Old Boys had a concerted period on attack midway through the final quarter and wing Joe Taylor finished off a sustained attack in the corner, but Marist Albion had its fourth try of the half in the last minute when busy centre Des Spooner accepted a gift try from a dropped pass.

Marist Albion openside flanker Charlie Gamble was fired up for the match and his aggressive tackling around the edges and hard running away from the fringes had the Old Boys defence working overtime to contain him. Ed Sunia, an early replacement for injured No.8 Famalo Magele, also showed plenty of pluck and Allen was a force rumbling forward.

Reekie’s general play like his goal-kicking was excellent. He ran the lines well, was prominent on cover defence and landed six of his seven goal attempts. Wing Chris Crichton, the scorer of four tries the previous week, wasn’t able to add to his season’s tally of 15, but he defended his right flank with vigour.

Old Boys were out of luck early when Harry Miller’s first penalty attempt ricocheted wide off the right upright. They challenged the line many times, especially in the first half, without producing the necessary finishing touches.

Lock Angus Cameron won good lineout ball at the front and carried strongly as did captain, flanker Tom Stanley, and replacement prop Blair Prinsep. Both wings Angus Blair and Taylor did well to score their tries under pressure, but the backline was not at its most fluent.

Hawkins MVP: Charlie Gamble (Marist Albion) 3, Tom Reekie (Marist Albion) 2, Dan Fransen (Marist Albion) 1.

Bob Schumacher

No curtain-raiser was played.



At Sheldon Park: Sumner 34 (Poasa Waqanibau 2, Tom Crozier, Tom Manley, Josh Loader tries; Nik Cumming 3 conv, pen) beat Belfast 13 (Sione Vea try; Will Stevens conv, 2 pen). HT: 10-6. Referee: Dave Rumble.

Sumner were made to work very hard for their much-needed win to ensure a spot in the Hawkins Plate semi-finals. They were also reliant on Marist Albion defeating High School Boys to guarantee this placing, which by match end they had heard Marist Albion had won.  

Running out a severely deleted line-up, not helped when they lost halfback Leon Fukofuka a minute into the game, Belfast threw caution to the wind and proceeded to hustle Sumner which was also missing a few power players.

Belfast dominated the rather tawdry first half but were not able to break down Sumner’s defence.

Ahead 6-3 in the final seconds of the half, Belfast gave away a couple of silly penalties, allowing the visitors to vacate their own half. Playing under advantage, Sumner finally put some phases together, and coupled with hanging onto the ball, were able to put hard-running centre Poasa Waqanibau across next to the posts for the first of his pair.

This gave Sumner the lead back at the break over a despairing home team who perhaps deserved to be in front.

Their anguish was further heightened immediately after the restart when another defensive lapse turned over the ball and Sumner halfback Tom Ziolo despatched the ball to lock Josh Loader running in the backline. His long pinpoint pass to hooker Tom Crozier, doing a “Fitzy” on the left wing, enabled him to score easily in the corner.

From that point Sumner’s scrum dominance began to tell on Belfast. The soft surface, combined with Sumner’s shove, drove Belfast back disrupting their scrum feeds, and Sumner, on its feed, often marched Belfast back.

One such endeavour resulted in No.8 Tom Manley’s 5m pushover try on 57min. The big Englishman should have had another not long after but lost the ball in the pick-up dive.

From the Manley try restart, effervescent fullback Ross McCann ran the ball back into Belfast territory. An in-pass to first-five Nik Cumming saw him chip the ball into Belfast’s 22m where two defenders were beaten by the bounce.

A chasing Waqanibau received a kindly bounce and scored under the bar for his double and Sumner’s bonus point on three-quarter time. After that Sumner cleared its bench and were content to run the game out.

On 78min, Belfast prop Sione Vea reaped reward for a solid game when his bulk on the charge from 10m out was too much for Sumner’s defenders. He brushed off several tacklers to go under the bar.

Once again from the kick-off Belfast were found wanting in controlling the ball. A quick turnover and flick out to lock Lawrence Babe enabled him to put locking partner Loader in untouched for the final act of the match.

For Sumner, hooker Crozier was tireless in all phases. Babe, Loader, Manley and openside Tuu’ta Simaile controlled the set pieces, rucks and mauls. First-five Cumming kicked astutely and Waqanibau was hard to stop in the midfield.

Belfast were outgunned in the finish, but No.8 Amenatave Tukana, openside Luke Waller, lock Ulaiasi Lawavou, and prop Vea were prominent up front. When Fukofuka departed, right wing Rhett Moore stepped into halfback and carried out the duties with ease.  

Hawkins MVP: Tom Crozier (Sumner) 3, Lawrence Babe (Sumner) 2, Poasa Waqanibau (Sumner) 1.

Donn Leckie

The Belfast versus Sumner division two curtain-raiser, the second of three such inter-club matches at Sheldon Park, resulted in a comprehensive, 30-12, win to Sumner.

Sumner left wing Tyrone Toia celebrated his 100th division two game for his club with the opening two tries in the first quarter of an hour, and he continued the form throughout the game with more strong runs.

Toia became deliverer when he set up Josh Toy for the next try late in the half.

Belfast’s only points of the first stanza came right on the 40th min when left wing Roy Walters, a Canadian visitor to the club, ran into the backline at pace and brushed off some poor tackles to score under the bar. Chris Case’s conversion attempt was charged down.

Sumner fullback Tim “Sunshine” Wilson completed his team’s scoring with their last two tries, first being put across by centre Tufuga Sa after 45min, then on 66min he had a solo angled 40m run to the corner.

Belfast had the last say on 72min when a tapped penalty by busy dreadlocked halfback Jarred Beaumont was cleared to flanker Fili Leo’o, who slammed the ball down in the tackle.

A Metro Classics game between the two clubs on an adjoining ground resulted in the only win of the day to Belfast.



At Burnside Park: Shirley 36 (Sean Wainui 2, Liam Timoteo, Junior Taia, Keanu Taumata tries; Nathan Smith 4 conv, pen) beat Burnside 17 (Luke Reihana, Tafesilafai Maafi, Phil Henderson tries; Reihana conv). HT: 24-7. Referee: Jeremy McAlister.

Shirley cruised to a comfortable victory over Burnside, scoring three first-half tries to put the result beyond doubt by half-time.

Although Burnside showed that they were able to compete up front, it was in the backline where the game was won and lost.

While the home team was able to win its fair share of territory and possession, they were not able to take full advantage of the platform set by their forwards.

The match got off to a promising start for Burnside though, with second-five Luke Reihana scoring from close range to put his team into a 7-3 lead after 9min.

As the half progressed however, Shirley proved to be the more dangerous side with ball in hand.

The visitors regained the lead after 18min, with centre Sean Wainui breaking through several would-be tacklers to bring the score to 10-7. And 5min later Shirley were in again, with fullback Liam Timoteo finishing off a break started by openside flanker Tom Keith.

Wainui was involved again in Shirley’s third try, this time as the provider. Receiving the ball from around the half-way mark, the centre went on a scything run, eluding half a dozen tackles in the process.

Eventually hauled down 5m from the try-line, Wainui was able to get a pass away to Junior Taia, with the second-five diving over to score under the posts.

Up 24-7 at half-time, Shirley were comfortably in control of the game. They extended their lead to 36-7 after the break, with Wainui picking up his second try in the process.

To Burnside’s credit, they kept asking questions of the Shirley defence.

The replacements off the bench provided a real spark to the home team’s attack, with reserve half-back Scott Simpson doing a great job to get his team on the front foot.

In fact, Burnside finished the game as the stronger side, running in two late tries to bring some respectability to the score-line.

For Shirley, Wainui had an excellent game. The big centre was the fulcrum of the Shirley attack, scoring two tries and setting up a third. First-five Nathan Smith controlled the backline, distributing well and also providing a threat with ball in hand.

Shirley’s loose forward trio linked well with their backline, with Keith leading the way.

The Burnside forward pack held its own at set-piece time, with prop Josh Gibbons having a strong performance in his 50th match. No.8 Tom Lindsay carried the ball tirelessly, doing his best to put to his team on the front foot.

The backline struggled to make inroads against the Shirley defence, but wing Tafesilafai Maafi looked dangerous throughout the game and was rewarded with a late try.

Hawkins MVP: Sean Wainui (Shirley) 3, Nathan Smith (Shirley) 2, Tom Lindsay (Burnside) 1.

Tim Newman 

In the division two curtain-raiser, Burnside hung on to a three-point lead to retain the Challenge Shield against Sydenham with a 28-25 win.

Both sides scored three tries with the game ultimately being decided by a 72min penalty to Burnside centre Louis Voisin.

Burnside led for virtually the whole match, but were unable to shake the visitors, who made the most of their opportunities despite losing the possession and territory battle.

James Gooding was the pick of the Burnside forwards, consistently getting over the gain-line. Lance Gahan was the best of the backline, with the big fullback launching a number of barnstorming runs from the counter-attack.

Sydenham openside flanker Felipe Rosa threw himself into everything, with the lanky Brazilian getting through a mountain of defensive work. Fullback Jimmy Lim was accurate off the tee and elusive in the open.


Hawkins Logo


Hawkins Leaderboards




188: Nik Cumming (Sumner)
184: Jarred Percival (HSOB)
145: Kieran Lindsay (Sydenham)
130: Scott Davidson (New Brighton)
120: Brett Cameron (LU)
110: Tom Reekie (Marist Albion)
96: Zac Southen (Linwood), Brad Hemopo (University)
91: Jordie Barrett (LU)
89: Nathan Smith (Shirley)
76: Cam Bailey (Chch)
75: Chris Crichton (Marist Albion)
71: Marty McKenzie (University)
15: Chris Crichton (Marist Albion)
12: Aaron McCoy (New Brighton)
11: Kalavini Leatigaga (Linwood)
10: Dylan Nel (Sumner), Amanaki Nicole (Sydenham), Milford Keresoma (Sydenham), Brad Hemopo (University)
9: Josh McKay (LU), Nik Cumming (Sumner), Ross McCann (Sumner)
8: Misi Lamositele (Sydenham), Rowan O’Gorman (Marist Albion), Inga Finau (Chch)
7: Jarred Percival (HSOB), George Bridge (HSOB), Zac Trusler (New Brighton), Braydon Ennor (University)
19: Finlay Christie (University)
18: Misi Lamositele (Sydenham)
16: Aaron McCoy (New Brighton)
14: Frank Havea (Belfast)
12: Jack Stratton (LU), Dylan Nel (Sumner)
11: Jarred Percival (HSOB), Nik Cumming (Sumner), Lawrence Babe (Sumner)
10: Hugo Nankivell (LU), Ross Kennedy (Marist Albion)
9: Inga Finau (Chch), Matt Etheredge (Chch), Phil Watson (Shirley)
8: Milford Keresoma (Sydenham), Brad Hemopo (University), Charlie Gamble (Marist Albion), Jordie Barrett (LU)


Points as at 16th July

Hawkins Division 1 - Section 1 (2016)                    
Team Played Wins Draws Losses Defaults Bonus For Against F/A Points
Christchurch Div 1 5 4 0 1 0 3 131 94 37 19
Lincoln University Div 1 5 3 0 2 0 4 147 96 51 16
Sydenham Div 1 5 3 0 2 0 3 139 119 20 15
New Brighton Div 1 5 3 0 2 0 1 130 117 13 13
University Div 1 5 1 0 4 0 4 97 127 -30 8
Linwood Div 1 5 1 0 4 0 1 95 186 -91 5
Hawkins Division 1 - Section 2 (2016)                    
Team Played Wins Draws Losses Defaults Bonus For Against F/A Points
Marist Albion Div 1 5 5 0 0 0 5 201 82 119 25
Sumner Div 1 5 4 0 1 0 4 183 80 103 20
HSOB Div 1 5 3 0 2 0 3 165 93 72 15
Shirley Div 1 5 2 0 3 0 1 102 153 -51 9
Belfast Div 1 5 1 0 4 0 1 86 136 -50 5
Burnside Div 1 5 0 0 5 0 1 50 243 -193 1

Other Results


BNZ Crusaders 10 v. Hurricanes 35;



Crusaders Junior Knights 20 v. Hurricanes U18 64;



Christchurch 26 v. New Brighton 17, Linwood v. Lyttelton, Linwood Win by Default;


Challenge Shield Match - Burnside Retain

Burnside 28 v. Sydenham 25, Lincoln University v. HSOB, no result received;


Shirley 26 v. Suburbs 27, Belfast 12 v. Sumner 30, Marist Albion 32 v. University 35;



Challenge Shield Match - Burnside Retain

Marist Albion 11 v. Burnside 33, New Brighton 18 v. Sydenham 55, Lincoln University 13 v. Christchurch 19;


Belfast v. HSOB, HSOB Win by Default, University 24 v. Linwood 19, Shirley bye;



Marist Albion Beacons 36 v. Burnside 17, Christchurch 10 v. HSOB 12;


Challenge Shield Match - Marist Albion Retain

University 7 v. Marist Albion 20, Otautahi bye;



Challenge Shield – Merivale Papanui Win

Christchurch v. Glenmark-Cheviot, still to be played, CBHS 2nd XV v. HSOB, no result received, University 10 v. Merivale Papanui 27;


Ashley 7 v. Lincoln University 30, Burnside 13 v. Sumner 14;



Challenge Shield Match – Lyttelton Win

Suburbs S 0 v. Lyttelton 22, Marist Albion 31 v. New Brighton 30;


Suburbs Div 3 43 v. Shirley W 7, Belfast bye;


Challenge Shield Match - Belfast M Retains

Belfast M 40 v. Sumner S 8, HSOB K v. Sydenham S, no result received;


Shirley Div 4 58 v. Burnside Div 4 7, Linwood B 34 v. Christchurch C 18;



Challenge Shield Match - Christchurch Holder

University 11 v. Christchurch 15, Suburbs 51 v. HSOB 10, Sydenham v. Lincoln, no result received;


Burnside 53 v. Marist Albion 5, Kaiapoi 26 v. Burn/Duns/Irwell 15, Linwood bye;



Site by Orbital Ltd